Restaurants and Bars w noteworthy Port/Madeira offerings

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Restaurants and Bars w noteworthy Port/Madeira offerings

Post by Eric Menchen »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:Also, has anyone ever seen wine in a 100ml bottle? I've seen all the rest, but not that one.
Anyone know the size of those Quevedo samplers? They are pretty small bottles.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:Also, has anyone ever seen wine in a 100ml bottle? I've seen all the rest, but not that one.
Anyone know the size of those Quevedo samplers? They are pretty small bottles.
They aren't marked, but they're slightly larger than a Six Grapes 187 that I have so I'm going to say 200 ml.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

After spending 6 hours at dinner, and a whole lot of tasting, at Bern's Steakhouse I've come to the conclusion they have the best wine/Port/Madeira list I've ever seen or heard of. Truly amazing place.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Andy Velebil wrote:After spending 6 hours at dinner, and a whole lot of tasting, at Bern's Steakhouse I've come to the conclusion they have the best wine/Port/Madeira list I've ever seen or heard of. Truly amazing place.
Wow... Went online to check it out and was v v impressed.
Love it that they have Madeira by the "half ounce". And sooo many VPs by the glass (not the best stuff, but still).
Need to make it out to Tampa!
Maybe make it a yearly/5-yearly FTLOP pilgrimage?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:After spending 6 hours at dinner, and a whole lot of tasting, at Bern's Steakhouse I've come to the conclusion they have the best wine/Port/Madeira list I've ever seen or heard of. Truly amazing place.
Bern's is renowned worldwide for its wine list. It rivals La Tour d'Argent in Paris. I'm jealous!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Miguel Simoes wrote: Maybe make it a yearly/5-yearly FTLOP pilgrimage?
I would say every couple years would be fun and keep it from getting too regular. We could do some serious damage to their cellar, I've seen how many on here can suck down the tasty purple liquid like water :winebath: [cheers.gif] :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

It's Roy's 60th birthday in 2017. I wonder where we could hold a birthday party for him?
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I own a copy of their wine list from 1984. It has 2,500 pages! :shock:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Derek T. wrote:
I own a copy of their wine list from 1984. It has 2,500 pages! :shock:
A local restaurant that I tend to visit quite a bit has a wine list that is easily the size of a telephone book. It's huge! Of course, all of the major (and minor) wine regions are represented, although I must say that the Port selection is solid but not spectacular. Nevertheless, I always enjoy the variety that they offer.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Marc J. wrote: A local restaurant that I tend to visit quite a bit has a wine list that is easily the size of a telephone book. It's huge! Of course, all of the major (and minor) wine regions are represented, although I must say that the Port selection is solid but not spectacular. Nevertheless, I always enjoy the variety that they offer.
What restaurant might that be? Should we ever be in the area! :thanks:
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Miguel Simoes wrote:
Marc J. wrote: A local restaurant that I tend to visit quite a bit has a wine list that is easily the size of a telephone book. It's huge! Of course, all of the major (and minor) wine regions are represented, although I must say that the Port selection is solid but not spectacular. Nevertheless, I always enjoy the variety that they offer.
What restaurant might that be? Should we ever be in the area! :thanks:
The restaurant is Valentino's in Santa Monica. They have over 90,000 bottles and have received the Wine Spectator gold award every year since 1986.
Mark Clancy

Post by Mark Clancy »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote: Maybe make it a yearly/5-yearly FTLOP pilgrimage?
I would say every couple years would be fun and keep it from getting too regular. We could do some serious damage to their cellar, I've seen how many on here can suck down the tasty purple liquid like water :winebath: [cheers.gif] :lol:
You need an alternate strategy for Bern's when you live within walking distance. (Well not walking distance for Floridians perhaps, but having lived in NYC and walking everywhere well in range for me.) Had to cut back to only going when I have out of town guests after I moved to Tampa. More recently the further refinement on that was to go when out of town wine geeks not counting calories show up...

As noted tons by the glass and even more on the list. More than a few probably last bottles around as well.
-Mark