What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Gary Richardson »

20 year Feist, bottled in 2006
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Gould Campbell VP
GC85.jpg
GC85.jpg (260.11 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Quinta da Brunheda "40 year old" Cask sample.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1997 Quinta do Noval "Silval" VP last Wednesday. Which I only consumed a partial bottle of intending to save the rest for the next day. Waking up the next day with a raging case of the flu meant it didn't get finished until last night.

As an experiment I tried a glass of regular table wine first...all metallic and not pleasant. Good wine just my palate was still shot from being sick. At least with the Port I could taste the bigger fruit in it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1985 Kopke Colheita. At first it starts of leaner tasting than some of the other Kopke Colheita's I've been drinking recently.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Opening tonight this old TWAIOA.

One of the first Re-waxed bottles of mine-didnt turn out that great [cheers.gif]
Bottled in 1973. Hope it is still alive...
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (466.06 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

30 Year Old Krohn, yet again.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Roy Hersh wrote:30 Year Old Krohn, yet again.
I'm still kicking myself for not getting that when you first posted about it. Premier Cru lives on, if only in your cellar.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

How many left? [cheers.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Had a 1985 Ferreira VP yesterday afternoon. Was hoping to drink it after dinner, but was bored mid afternoon and started drinking early. Wow, this is much better than the last I tried this vintage like at least 5+ years ago. Elegant, very smooth with a lingering spicy finish. I think this vintage will evolve, at a slow pace for several more years. I don't see this vintage fading off any time soon, but was never a blockbuster of flavor even a decade ago. As the years of port drinking go by, the more I like Ferreira vintages... They do need some time. 90 points

Smoked a San Cristobal de La Habana Mercaderes along with the Ferreira to enjoy the casual afternoon.

Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:Had a 1985 Ferreira VP yesterday afternoon. Was hoping to drink it after dinner, but was bored mid afternoon and started drinking early. Wow, this is much better than the last I tried this vintage like at least 5+ years ago. Elegant, very smooth with a lingering spicy finish. I think this vintage will evolve, at a slow pace for several more years. I don't see this vintage fading off any time soon, but was never a blockbuster of flavor even a decade ago. As the years of port drinking go by, the more I like Ferreira vintages... They do need some time. 90 points

Smoked a San Cristobal de La Habana Mercaderes along with the Ferreira to enjoy the casual afternoon.

I do really like that wine. And what a picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:Had a 1985 Ferreira VP yesterday afternoon. Was hoping to drink it after dinner, but was bored mid afternoon and started drinking early. Wow, this is much better than the last I tried this vintage like at least 5+ years ago. Elegant, very smooth with a lingering spicy finish. I think this vintage will evolve, at a slow pace for several more years. I don't see this vintage fading off any time soon, but was never a blockbuster of flavor even a decade ago. As the years of port drinking go by, the more I like Ferreira vintages... They do need some time. 90 points
Whooohuuu good thing I just ordered one. Now I look forward to tasting it even more.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Moses Botbol wrote:
Good picture quality from my girlfriend's new Samsung!
Thomas V wrote:Whooohuuu good thing I just ordered one. Now I look forward to tasting it even more.
Your thread got me interested in revisiting this vintage since I had a few onsite.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Catching up with a friend and his wife at Disneyland's Club 33 yesterday and had a fresh bottle of 1970 Graham's VP opened for us by the manager. A wonderful showing of it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:Catching up with a friend and his wife at Disneyland's Club 33 yesterday and had a fresh bottle of 1970 Graham's VP opened for us by the manager. A wonderful showing of it.
Was Goofy or Pluto around to enjoy it with you :lol:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Catching up with a friend and his wife at Disneyland's Club 33 yesterday and had a fresh bottle of 1970 Graham's VP opened for us by the manager. A wonderful showing of it.
Was Goofy or Pluto around to enjoy it with you :lol:
That might have been a better picture than yours, Moses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Very nice, private club with around a 14 year waiting list. Also the only place to have a drink during park hours.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Moses Botbol wrote:Your thread got me interested in revisiting this vintage since I had a few onsite.
Great stuff. It is nice that we can poke each others interest and also inspire one another once in a while.

I do hope you post a taste note for the Ferriera if you have time. Would be fun to compare when I open the bottle I'm getting in a few days. I suspect it will not make it out of 2016 alive [cheers.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Thomas V wrote:I do hope you post a taste note for the Ferriera if you have time. Would be fun to compare when I open the bottle I'm getting in a few days. I suspect it will not make it out of 2016 alive [cheers.gif]
I did not take notes on it... I am not big tasting notes taker; only if I am drinking in a proper port tasting. Before I had it this week, I was on the fence whether to recommend it (depending on price), but now I am confident it is a good port on the level of the best of the vintage; in Ferreira style. Comes down to more if you like Ferreira or not (which I am big fan of). They are a pretty consistent house and their SQVP's show better than most other's SQVP's (hint on looking for bargains).
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Fonseca 1985 VP :yumyum: :yumyum: