Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Here's the Buying Op you've been waiting for!

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric wrote:
I'm waiting also, and I'm not normally very patient!
[foilhat.gif]

But in real life you certainly meet a lot of them. :lol:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

:lol:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Picked up my order at lunch today!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Can you fit that all in a Smart Car? :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Ifune wrote:Can you fit that all in a Smart Car? :lol:
He's got a side-car attachment :P
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

Roy, thanks for the great deal. I did pick up three cohleita's and some of the table wines to make my six pack. Cohleita is not really my thing, I prefer aging the VP's myself ;-), but I look forward to having some of these old beasts! [cheers.gif]
I got one each of the 67 Rocha, 57 Rocha, and 50 Kopke. I assume these should be consumed relatively quickly, not kept for a number of years, or does anyone feel differently?
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Russ K wrote:I got one each of the 67 Rocha, 57 Rocha, and 50 Kopke. I assume these should be consumed relatively quickly, not kept for a number of years, or does anyone feel differently?
You can happily keep them for a few years without any trouble at all. I don't believe that Rocha and Kopke Colheitas are intended to be aged in bottle, but it doesn't seem to harm them to me. In fact, the Kopke Colheitas can be pretty bracingly acidic when first bottled, and some bottle age seems to mellow that out a bit, so for me they actually improve a little bit after a few years. I have quite a few Rocha and Kopke Colheitas that were bottled in 2006-2007 and I think they're just as good today as they were when bottled.

They're not like VP, though. 30-40 years in bottle isn't a good idea.

Niepoort Colheitas, on the other hand... :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I disagree with Glenn. I spent hours with the winemaker and master blender of Kopke wines. I asked him this question very carefully to see what he thinks. In terms of the Kopke (I did not mention Rocha) he said there is no fining or filtration and he felt they CAN age and improve in the bottle, regardless of what others have said. I asked him about a particular comment made several years ago by another person from the company. He reiterrated that Kopke can drink well and improve once bottled and although he would not be pinned down to a time frame, I would say it is a safe bet for at least a decade.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

I probably missed it, does anyone know the bottling dates for any of the Colheitas in this FTLOP offer?
Tom D.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Tom D. wrote:I probably missed it, does anyone know the bottling dates for any of the Colheitas in this FTLOP offer?
Most of mine were around 2007, though the 1938 halves were 1999.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I disagree with Glenn.
In what way? After saying that you disagree, you then proceeded to basically say the same thing I did. [shrug.gif] [help.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

In terms of the Kopke (I did not mention Rocha) he said there is no fining or filtration and he felt they CAN age and improve in the bottle, regardless of what others have said.
Interesting. So I'm lead to believe that Colheitas (and assuming Tawnys of indicated age as well) will improve if unfined and unfiltered. Seems reasonable. Does anyone know who else doesn't fine or filter their wood aged Ports. Niepoort?
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:I disagree with Glenn.
In what way? After saying that you disagree, you then proceeded to basically say the same thing I did. [shrug.gif] [help.gif]
Go easy, he's in the throngs of Gaia. Filled to the brim with luscious food and copious amounts of fantastic wines and Ports. I'm sure it's all enough to cause overload and lead to a partial insanity defense :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Glenn E. wrote:
Tom D. wrote:I probably missed it, does anyone know the bottling dates for any of the Colheitas in this FTLOP offer?
Most of mine were around 2007, though the 1938 halves were 1999.
That's nice to know, thanks.
Tom D.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote:
In terms of the Kopke (I did not mention Rocha) he said there is no fining or filtration and he felt they CAN age and improve in the bottle, regardless of what others have said.
Interesting. So I'm lead to believe that Colheitas (and assuming Tawnys of indicated age as well) will improve if unfined and unfiltered. Seems reasonable. Does anyone know who else doesn't fine or filter their wood aged Ports. Niepoort?
Minor distinction, but it's can improve, not necessarily will improve. I don't think that even Dirk Niepoort goes so far as to say that they will improve in the same way that Vintage Port will improve, but he's on record many times as saying that theirs in particular can improve in the bottle.

I'm in the camp that says they can improve, but that it depends on the producer and sometimes even the specific Colheita. Niepoort and Kopke are the two that I've noticed improvement in before. There might be others, but off the top of my head I can't think of them at the moment.
Andy Velebil wrote:Go easy, he's in the throngs of Gaia. Filled to the brim with luscious food and copious amounts of fantastic wines and Ports. I'm sure it's all enough to cause overload and lead to a partial insanity defense :lol: :lol:
I know, I'm jealous! I want to know what this new restaurant is that they visited. And I want a Francesinha from Bufete Fase!!!
Glenn Elliott
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Received my shipment today, just a mixed half-case of the older colheitas. They all look great. Thanks Roy!
Tom D.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Tom D. wrote:Received my shipment today ... They all look great. Thanks Roy!
+1. I ordered a case of colheitas and a case of the Douro DOC wines. We opened one of the DOC whites on Tuesday and it was wonderful for the price. I bought a bunch of those to have for summer drinking.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked up my shipment from the offsite yesterday. All looks well. Now I just have to wait until I'm not working to try one out...maybe Sunday *fingers crossed*
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I figured I would let everyone order their Colheitas and rummage through whatever was left. I did buy several cases of DOC wines though. Now for Colheitas.

Thank you to the entire subscriber group, all in all there were nearly 40 cases purchased and the median price per bottle was crazy, but not as insane as the total value of purchases. That has a lot to do with how many of the really old Colheitas were sold. I must admit to being shocked and this was definitely the most successful offering to date. You guys rocked it. :thumbsup: I guess wood-aged Ports are now mainstream here amongst the :ftlop: Port cognoscenti.

Now to figure out how to get a global offering before the end of the year. I do have one amazing idea. But I don't want to offer it until people have time to reload their wallets. Suggestions as to a time frame? Remember this is just for the next offering, now when the bottles will ship. So your input is important. :thanks:
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Suggestions as to a time frame?
Fall? :twocents: is about all that's left in my wallet now! [help.gif]
Glenn Elliott