What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

dom carter

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by dom carter »

1985 Dow's VP
David T.

Post by David T. »

Sandeman 2000 Vau Vintage - €18.75 from a Portuguese supermarket - couldn't believe the quality for the price - really pleased with this one, and will go back and buy a lot more in a couple of days

Ramos Pinto 1982 LBV - bitter disappointment. One dimensional and performed a lot worse than a basic ruby - and had a peculiar smell a bit like tobacco ash. Worried because I have a lot of bottles of Ramos Pinto VP and LBV that were cellaraed upright during decades...hoping that that isn't why the LBV is spoiled, but dreading the possibility that I have 4 or 5 cases of dead VP. I might crack one open to find out!
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Burmester 10 year old
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

The other day was a 2002 Broadbent LBV, with a branded "Quinta do Crasto LBV 2002" cork. I assume the Crasto and the Broadbent are exactly the same LBV????
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Gary Banker
Location: Shirley, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Banker »

Sandeman 40 year old tawny. Very nice step up from the 20 year old.
David T.

Post by David T. »

David T. wrote:Ramos Pinto 1982 LBV - bitter disappointment. One dimensional and performed a lot worse than a basic ruby - and had a peculiar smell a bit like tobacco ash. Worried because I have a lot of bottles of Ramos Pinto VP and LBV that were cellaraed upright during decades...hoping that that isn't why the LBV is spoiled, but dreading the possibility that I have 4 or 5 cases of dead VP. I might crack one open to find out!
I opened a Ramos Pinto 1970 VP from the same cellar today to celebrate Junior's 4th birthday...really bad condition - the cork was only held in by the capsule, and the wine had the same tobacco odour and looked much more like a tawney than a ruby. I'm disappointed, because now I'm fairly sure that all of the old VP is ruined. Fortunately I have a lot of old Colheitas and other interesting wines in the cellar that have stoppers, not corks, and I know that they have survived in much better condition.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

David T. wrote:
David T. wrote:Ramos Pinto 1982 LBV - bitter disappointment. One dimensional and performed a lot worse than a basic ruby - and had a peculiar smell a bit like tobacco ash. Worried because I have a lot of bottles of Ramos Pinto VP and LBV that were cellaraed upright during decades...hoping that that isn't why the LBV is spoiled, but dreading the possibility that I have 4 or 5 cases of dead VP. I might crack one open to find out!
I opened a Ramos Pinto 1970 VP from the same cellar today to celebrate Junior's 4th birthday...really bad condition - the cork was only held in by the capsule, and the wine had the same tobacco odour and looked much more like a tawney than a ruby. I'm disappointed, because now I'm fairly sure that all of the old VP is ruined. Fortunately I have a lot of old Colheitas and other interesting wines in the cellar that have stoppers, not corks, and I know that they have survived in much better condition.
That's a shame. I know Moses also had a case of RP that was stored upright in a original wood case. IIRC, the case wasn't standard, in that the bottles didn't lay down like most Port cases do but were upright in it. Hopefully Moses chimes in to fill in my hazy memory.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dorene and I consumed a bottle of 10 year old Niepoort Tawny Port this evening. Gone in 90 minutes. :oops:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

For my birthday earlier this week I open a bottle of Rocha Three Centuries, a bottle of 1997 Krohn Colheita and a 1955 Cockburn. All the the bottles showed beautifully and it was quite an enjoyable evening.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Marc J. wrote:For my birthday earlier this week I open a bottle of Rocha Three Centuries, a bottle of 1997 Krohn Colheita and a 1955 Cockburn. All the the bottles showed beautifully and it was quite an enjoyable evening.
A great way to celebrate, Happy birthday!!
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Marc J. wrote:For my birthday earlier this week I open a bottle of Rocha Three Centuries, a bottle of 1997 Krohn Colheita and a 1955 Cockburn. All the the bottles showed beautifully and it was quite an enjoyable evening.
A great way to celebrate, Happy birthday!!
Thanks Andy! I appreciate it...
Gerwin de Graaf

Post by Gerwin de Graaf »

Quevedo Reserve Ruby (haven't had a Reserve Ruby before, and wanted to try once). Quite enjoyable, especially given the great P/Q ratio

Quevedo Colheita 1992 to pair with some lovely light style blue cheeses my dad brought back from his holiday to France a couple of weeks ago. [cheers.gif]
Victor D.

Post by Victor D. »

Just cracked open a bottle of Noval 20 Year Tawny for the backyard smoke and drink. Mann this is sure good. Thus far me thinking this tasting a bit better than the 40 year opened a few weeks ago.

First time on any of the Noval Tawny's. I have a 10 year (which I hear is VERY good) to be opened after this 20 year.

Vic
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Victor D. wrote:Just cracked open a bottle of Noval 20 Year Tawny for the backyard smoke and drink. Mann this is sure good. Thus far me thinking this tasting a bit better than the 40 year opened a few weeks ago.

First time on any of the Noval Tawny's. I have a 10 year (which I hear is VERY good) to be opened after this 20 year.

Vic
Be sure to also give the Niepoort 10 year Tawny a try if you haven't already.
Victor D.

Post by Victor D. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Victor D. wrote:Just cracked open a bottle of Noval 20 Year Tawny for the backyard smoke and drink. Mann this is sure good. Thus far me thinking this tasting a bit better than the 40 year opened a few weeks ago.

Vic
Be sure to also give the Niepoort 10 year Tawny a try if you haven't already.
Noted and thank you, I will get a bottle. These darn Tawny's go so WELL with my Don Pablo Cigars! :D

P.S. On my 2nd glass of the 20 year Noval...Better than the first glass from almost an hour ago. This is REAL good stuff
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Noval 1978 - a really decent bottle of port from a year with a poor reputation and from a shipper who was going through a rough patch. Great value at £14.
David Spriggs
Location: Dana Point, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

1952 Niepoort Garrafeira - Stellar bottle!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We had some friends over for dinner and a night of Rock Band 3. They like Port, too, so I opened a couple of bottles.

1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port - great bottle and everyone loved it
NV Quinta da Romaneira 40 Year Old Tawny Port - fabulous as always
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

2004 Quinta Gaivosa LBV. Sure wish someone would start distributing around New England... Their LBV is a strong competitor and great QPR.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Russ K

Post by Russ K »

finally get to participate again here....20 yr Taylor,
Bottled 2004....I have only had it for a couple years...should of been drunk long before now!
Last edited by Russ K on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.