What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am 1983 Gould Campbell. Outstanding. It's a real shame that the Symingtons have retired this brand, as the Ports are among the most consistent in the business. Right up there with Graham in terms of reliability year after year.
I like Gould a lot, but the last 2 1980's I had were badly corked and the '77 I had was off as well. I'm hoping I hit a bad patch with them and that's the end of it. I have a few more 63's, 80's, '83's, 91's and 00's still to drink through.
The late 70’s to mid 80’s was not a good time period for the cork industry. There are a lot of issues with a lot of producers from all over the world that have nothing to do with the wine itself or the producer of the wine. For Port there’s 77 Dows, 77 Fonseca and Taylor’s, 80 Graham’s, 77 Gould (more so with UK bottles for some reason) to name a few.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glenn E. wrote:1983 Gould Campbell. Outstanding. It's a real shame that the Symingtons have retired this brand, as the Ports are among the most consistent in the business. Right up there with Graham in terms of reliability year after year.
It’s not retired. Taking an extended vacation is probably a better description. And yes, very consistently good.

Perhaps you could convince a new generation of the family to make it go back to work. :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

1994 Quinta de la Rosa VP.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

2003 Noval LBV.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Ifune wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm 2003 Noval LBV.
How's it doing? I have 5 left out of a 6-pack that I purchased specifically to age. I tried the first one at 15 yrs old and felt like it still needed a lot of time.

(I also have 5/6 of 2003 Quevedo LBV left in the same experiment.)
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

For me, it's just about at peak. Absolutely wonderful stuff! I should have gotten more.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

1991 Croft VP
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1992 Taylor's LBV. Delicious!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Taylor VP.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Graham VP

I neglected to decant this so it started out pop-and-pour, but was still delicious. But it has been opening up over time and is one of the better bottles of G85 that I've had in a while!
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1983 Messias Quinta do Cachao SQVP. A slight hint of VA, but not unbearable at all. It's drinking nicely. I paid $38 for a 38 year old VP so it's definitely a good deal. 2 more left.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1992 Vesuvio VP.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Quevedo 40 year old.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

A very tasty Graham’s 30 Year Tawny (bottled 2019).
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1970 Dow VP. Pop and pour and was really something else! Showed better than the last bottle a month ago. Was for after dinner and we had an '88 Delas CdP which was terrific as well.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

1999 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal VP. Very tasty with a nice minty aroma. In the semi mature state with amicable tannins which is enjoyable. A little heat on the aftertaste. 91p
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1985 Fonseca. This bottle came down on the "gorgeously mature" side of what seems to be a Port in transition (some bottles are still very young and somewhat closed) and was so delicious that 2 of us drank the entire bottle in about 3 hours. And then drank half a bottle of 1976 Kopke Colheita.

I don't think it's possible to own too much of this Port.
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1996 Calem Quinta Da Foz. It's a nice bottle of Port. Not a world beater but very drinkable.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Glenn E. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 pm 1985 Fonseca. This bottle came down on the "gorgeously mature" side of what seems to be a Port in transition (some bottles are still very young and somewhat closed) and was so delicious that 2 of us drank the entire bottle in about 3 hours. And then drank half a bottle of 1976 Kopke Colheita.

I feel that way about the '94 Fonseca as well. I own a lot of both.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Mike J. W. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:23 pm
Glenn E. wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 pm 1985 Fonseca. This bottle came down on the "gorgeously mature" side of what seems to be a Port in transition (some bottles are still very young and somewhat closed) and was so delicious that 2 of us drank the entire bottle in about 3 hours. And then drank half a bottle of 1976 Kopke Colheita.

I feel that way about the '94 Fonseca as well. I own a lot of both.
I should own more of the '94 than I do, but it's just so much more expensive than the '85 that I have difficulty rationalizing the purchase.
Glenn Elliott