What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Paul C. Metman

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Paul C. Metman »

[/quote]I need to reach out to Noval etc again to see if they’d be willing to send me samples so I can add them to the review.

Carlos Alves and his Port-making team at Sogevinus have been on a roll for a few years. I have been really surprised in the last few vintages when a blind tasting has suddenly revealed that I have one of his portfolio as my top wine. The only Port I bought in 2018 that wasn’t keeping a vertical going was the astonishingly good Barros.

As for the Vesuvio, that was really interesting. Glenn will tell you that a score of 87-89 from me indicates a wine that will bring pleasure and enjoyment when drunk. But I did feel that the fruit was a little over-ripe and a touch too sweet compared to the freshness that most other Ports had.

But I still bought some anyway. I love Vesuvio’s variability from vintage to vintage. It’s not an homogeneous wine made to taste the same every year. It’s a joyous expression of what nature gave that specific season.
[/quote]
Thank you so much Alex for your comment/explanation! I already have 2 bottles of Barros VP '18 as a result of your tasting notes of the 2018 VP's [yahoo.gif] !
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:20 pm As for the Vesuvio, that was really interesting. Glenn will tell you that a score of 87-89 from me indicates a wine that will bring pleasure and enjoyment when drunk. But I did feel that the fruit was a little over-ripe and a touch too sweet compared to the freshness that most other Ports had.

But I still bought some anyway. I love Vesuvio’s variability from vintage to vintage. It’s not an homogeneous wine made to taste the same every year. It’s a joyous expression of what nature gave that specific season.
This is an example of needing to know your taster's palate.

I have had the opportunity to taste Ports with Alex on several occasions, and we have noticed that our scores run very similar patterns. In general I usually score 2-3 points higher than Alex, but our scores go up and down across the same spectrum of Ports.

Occasionally, Alex will find something that he truly loves, and his score may catch or even exceed mine. A recent 1927 Graham, for example. [cheers.gif]

And then also occasionally, something is just a tad over-ripe and a touch to sweet for his taste, and his score drifts further (lower) than mine.

I have not yet had this Vesuvio, but knowing Alex's preferences and based on his tasting note I suspect that I would score it more than our usual difference of 2-3 points higher. Something a touch over-ripe and a little sweeter than most other Ports is right in my ... ahem ... sweet spot. So I look forward to getting to taste this Vesuvio, because I suspect I'll have it in the 93-94 range based on Alex's score and, just as importantly, his tasting note.

[friends.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1980 Kopke Colheita (bottled 2010). This struck me as more of a Bual than a Colheita. Decently good, but different than what I was expecting. I'm wondering if perhaps it was oxidized or stored improperly?
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hot hot heatwave out west so not much lately. After fleeing to the beach for cooler weather a well chilled 2007 Dow’s Colheita hit the spot.

Today is supposed to be last day of it. Then we’re forecast for possible below normal temps later this week. Let’s hope as two forest fires are going in my area. Between them, it’s Super smokey outside.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

For my daughter's wedding week we had the following

Pacheca 30 Year Old. Superb--blew everyone away who had it.

Grahams 40 Year Old - Lovely

1989 Kopke Colheita, b.2022 - Has an edge to it, esp in contrast to the blends above. Why we drink them this way! Both have their place.

1978 Fonseca Guimaraens - This was awesome---94 points. The TNs in this site do not match up with my experience. I did not take notes (served at reception so just a wee bit busy/distracted). There was a touch of bottle stink that blew off quickly. Distinct cherry quality and soft, lingering finish.
Any Port in a storm!
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

John M. wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:40 am For my daughter's wedding week we had the following

Pacheca 30 Year Old. Superb--blew everyone away who had it.

Grahams 40 Year Old - Lovely

1989 Kopke Colheita, b.2022 - Has an edge to it, esp in contrast to the blends above. Why we drink them this way! Both have their place.

1978 Fonseca Guimaraens - This was awesome---94 points. The TNs in this site do not match up with my experience. I did not take notes (served at reception so just a wee bit busy/distracted). There was a touch of bottle stink that blew off quickly. Distinct cherry quality and soft, lingering finish.
Congratulations John!
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Lucas S

Post by Lucas S »

2013 Delaforce LBV

It's:
Attachments
e7742eb3-f017-4ec9-8399-991d6c700d8e_text.gif
e7742eb3-f017-4ec9-8399-991d6c700d8e_text.gif (307.34 KiB) Viewed 404 times
All is fair in love and Warre's
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

1997 Quinta do Crasto VP. Not good. Really not good. Second bottle I’ve had of this that is almost undrinkable.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Andy Velebil wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:57 pm 1997 Quinta do Crasto VP. Not good. Really not good. Second bottle I’ve had of this that is almost undrinkable.
That's surprising in the sense that their '94 & '95 are both very nice. As is their '00. And of course their LBV's are all good as well. But then it's not so surprising when you look at the reviews on Cellartracker. Your opinion matches the other reviewers of this Port.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1985 Vista Alegre Colheita - bottled 2024. After having this on "Glenn's Tour" I bought several. As impressive as it was in Douro. A great replacement for the 1985 Dalva which I've always loved and is only found with bottlings of yesteryear. This may even exceed that great one, when it was at its freshest. This has even greater depth and mouthfeel. We didn't finish it last night, but Friday I will go back at it.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi John, nice lineup of Ports at your daughter's wedding. Congratulations to your family! [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

Roy Hersh wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:55 pm 1985 Vista Alegre Colheita - bottled 2024. After having this on "Glenn's Tour" I bought several. As impressive as it was in Douro. A great replacement for the 1985 Dalva which I've always loved and is only found with bottlings of yesteryear. This may even exceed that great one, when it was at its freshest. This has even greater depth and mouthfeel. We didn't finish it last night, but Friday I will go back at it.
I picked up 2 of those 1985 Vista Alegre Colheita's on Glenn's trip. They were excellent at the Quinta when we tasted them. And the views from the top of the Quinta were second only to the views from DR.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I completely agree and you don't have to travel in the back of a truck to get to see the views at DR. [shrug.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:55 pm 1985 Vista Alegre Colheita - bottled 2024. After having this on "Glenn's Tour" I bought several.
I bought 6! Yes, a very nice Colheita and a great price.

The "high up" views from DR and Vallegre are both great, but there's something about the view from Quinta do Mourao that I also love. [cheers.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

1980 Ramos Pinto VP - Nothing special. 83 & 85 are better vintages for sure. Even after a few days the '80 RP was kind of dull and uninteresting.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars