TN: 2007 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva Douro

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

TN: 2007 Quinta do Crasto Old Vines Reserva Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

I didn't decant this prior to drinking and at 2-hours in this is starting to pull together nicely. One thing I noticed early on was how more restrained the fruit was and how much more acidity there was compared to prior vintages. Early on the oak was a bit too prominent but 2-hours later it has really integrated and subsided as the fruit has become more expressive. While there is plenty of cherries, some tar, and spices from the oak, with some vanilla showing up late, what I am most taken by is the minerality, the freshness, and the length of the finish this has compared to prior vintages. Not to mention all that acidity that should lend this to being a long lived wine. This is a slight departure in style from recent vintages, with their largeness, yet one of the finest Reserva's since the 2004, if not better. I think I need to open a 2004 to compare side by side.....
93-94 Points
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com