Kopke Vintage 2003

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

José Tomaz Mello Breyner

Kopke Vintage 2003

Post by José Tomaz Mello Breyner »

Dear All

In the new Portuguese Wine Magazine - BLUE WINE - in the Topic 100 Top Portuguese Wines, the KOPKE VINTAGE 2003 is the 1st Wine with 19 points (in 20) . Have someone already taste this wine? And what about your impressions? Do you agree with this classification?

Kind Regards
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I've tasted it once. Although I think it's a good port, I would not rate it 19 points. It's a round and sweet port (sweeter than most Kopke's), full with fruit, but missing in complexity and structure to belong to the top. I usually rate on a 100 scale and gave it 87/88 points.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I tasted it yet again last week at a trade tasting held by one of the two USA importers of Kopke (along with 15 other assorted Ports) and it is a very nice VP that does not deserve 19 points, IMO. My score dropped a point or so from my initial taste while it was still a cask sample.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com