Perfect Glasses ?

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gilles LE CAPITAINE

Perfect Glasses ?

Post by Gilles LE CAPITAINE »

Hello everybody,
- I am curious to know : which glass do you use to taste ports ? From which shape and capacity is it ? Do you think that the glass must be unique for all categories port or do you use a special glass for each category : Rubies, Tawnies and Whites ?
- Last year, I saw many companies in Gaïa like Douro Valley have adopted the wine glass with the characteristic : notch to footglass = INAO wine style !
- What do you think about ?
Thanks,
Gilles.
End of september 2005, I was in Oporto & Douro valley with a heavenly programme devised by Mrs Ema Pinto from A.E.V.P (in french). I met enthusiast and exciting people, I tasted over 80 ports. This travel was a revelation. I am ready to learn more...
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

Dear Gilles,

there are various posts somewhere on the site about this - but I am not technologically proficient enough to link you too them! Somebody will.

However, in summary, the rule for port is the same as for any wine. You need a clear and colourless uncut glass, with a good stem and a large bowl that tapers inwards at the top leaving a gap just large enough for your nose. Like most wine you want it to be at least three times the size of the measure you want to pour. Therefore, you could use any good, small, wine glass that has these characteristics. A traditional Sherry "copita" is ideal.

Personally, I favour the Riedel Vinum port glass - it is like a miniature version of their excellent Large Bordeaux Glass. My Riedel Vinum port glass sits on my sideboard next to my Riedel Vinum Bordeaux glass and they are used in strict rotation throughout the week! However, I believe that the members here discuss the merits of two or three other varieties that are similar and just as good.

I use the same glass for all types of port and I do not think you need a different one for vintage and tawny - the same characteristics are required.

Regards,

Stuart

PS, the port glass gets a rest tonight as I will be sampling Château Léoville Poyferré 1990 for the first ever time!
Stuart Chatfield London, England
John Conwell
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by John Conwell »

I just went to the Spanish Table (here in Seattle) and found a nice port glass for $2.99! I got 2. The dimentions were 'close' to what i've seen produced by high end crystal companies, and its got a little woman standing in front of a villa engraved on the front. very charming and at a great price!

On a totally different topic I picked up a 1965 Kopke Colheita that I cant wait to try, as well as a nice Rioja :-)
Thanks, John C
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

For daily use I use a very thick commercial port glass, mainly becuase it holds up to a lot of abuse without breaking and is almost the exact same shape as my more expensive Riedel port glasses.

For the expensive stuff I break out the good Riedel's.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Stuart Chatfield

Post by Stuart Chatfield »

Andy V. wrote:For daily use I use a very thick commercial port glass, mainly becuase it holds up to a lot of abuse without breaking and is almost the exact same shape as my more expensive Riedel port glasses.

For anyone in England who wants a good quality but sturdy port glass I can recommend the general tasting glasses they have at the Majestic Vinopolis wine vault by London Bridge Station. They dole them out at their tastings and you can buy them for GBP2.95 I think. they are ideal for port and they are sturdy enough to pack in a suitcase (which I often do when I go away and I know I won't be able to trust the local glasses!) They have a feint picture of a nose and a glass etched on one side.
Stuart Chatfield London, England
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

I find tasting and 'port' glasses a bit small for port, especially if you like to give your wine a good swirl while you sniff. I'd recommend a Riedel "Ouverture" red wine glass which at 12 3/8 fl oz is about 40% bigger than their standard port glass (8.5 fl oz) and it's also around 40% of the price retailing at around £5 each in the UK. I have found the quality of the Ouverture range to be only just below that of the Vinum range.

In any case, it's worth spending a bit of money on your glassware. If you're spending £20+ on a good bottle of port, you may as well give it a decent send off. You wouldn't serve your lobster salad from an old newspaper, would you?