What have you opened this week?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike J. W.

Re: What have you opened this week?

Post by Mike J. W. »

1997 Quinta Do Infantado VP last week. 1994 Ferreira VP yesterday.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Dow's 20 year old Tawny - smells great and first taste is good, but follows with strong alcohol heat, which ruins it for me a bit. Will hold it in the fridge for some time, hopefully it mellows a bit.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2003 Quinta de Roriz. It's delicious.
"I have often thought that the aim of Port is to give you a good and durable hangover, so that during the next day you should be reminded of the splendid occasion the night before." - Hungarian/British journalist & author George Mikes
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mike J. W. wrote:2003 Quinta de Roriz. It's delicious.
A very good vintage for it!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

20 Year Old Tawny Van Zeller's & Co.
10-20-30-40-50 both White Ports and Tawny by ENOLOGO, a joint venture between Denmark's Torben Mandrup and Joana Duarte, former winemaker for Bulas.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

1985 Gould Campbell VP
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

DR 40 year old.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Martin H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:28 am Dow's 20 year old Tawny - smells great and first taste is good, but follows with strong alcohol heat, which ruins it for me a bit. Will hold it in the fridge for some time, hopefully it mellows a bit.
And did it?

Last weekend I opened a bottle of Krohn 1961 for a friend born that year. It showed very, very well. I was extremely happy with the bottle.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

2004 Dow Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira. It's a little bit of a fruit bomb and it's still 5 to 7 years away from being fully integrated, but it's a nice Port. It's also sweeter than a Dow VP.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Al B. wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Martin H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:28 am Dow's 20 year old Tawny - smells great and first taste is good, but follows with strong alcohol heat, which ruins it for me a bit. Will hold it in the fridge for some time, hopefully it mellows a bit.
And did it?

Last weekend I opened a bottle of Krohn 1961 for a friend born that year. It showed very, very well. I was extremely happy with the bottle.
At first no, so I let it breathe in a decanter for a few hours and that toned down the alcohol heat considerably, but I think it also lost some taste and length. Overall it feels more like a mediocre 10 year old tawny.
Mike J. W.

Post by Mike J. W. »

1985 Warre's VP. I noticed last night that it had a slight leak, so I made it next up. Decanted this morning. The cork was fully soaked through and it came out in 2 pieces. Hardly any sediment at all, but it was the palest of pale ruby color. It smelled mostly of brandy with a faint mustiness in the backgroud. It tasted just okay on a sip this morning after decanting. 9 hours later and it reeked of acetone and the taste was definitely off. TCA. Down the drain it went. I've stood up a bottle of 1983 Quinta do Infantado, so we'll see how that is tomorrow night.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Broadbent Auction Reserve, Lot #1, 375ml.
This was up for auction on Winebid, $10 + fee, which luckily is still %-based even at this low amount. (Spectrum Auctions introduced a minimum buyers premium a while back of $5 as I recall.) I had 11 other bottles purchased and filled out a case for shipping with this. I knew it was old and might not be any good, but hey, worth a try. The T-stopper broke when I tried removing it. I had already planned on decanting, and did so to filter out cork pieces as well as a lot of sediment for a ruby reserve. Appearance-wise, this looked like a VP from the 70s or 80s. And it tasted a bit like that too. It certainly wasn't like a great VP, but I'd give it 88-90 points. It was definitely worth the gamble.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Niepoort 1991 - rather tasty and nicely mature.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

10-20-30-40-50 year old Whites and Tawnies from my friend Torben Mandrup and Joana Duarte, (former winemaker at Bulas).

Also a fresh and killer bottle of DR L70.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

1937 Porto Rocha Colheita (b. 2007)

Opened for the March Port Club meeting. Decanted for 5 hours which was just about perfect. Was still improving slightly, so maybe 6 would have been better. I've owned this bottle since 2009 or 2010 and it's been sleeping peacefully in one of my wine fridges, so I was very careful when retrieving it to avoid stirring up the super fine sediment that is so common in old Porto Rocha Colheitas. Managed to keep it clean while decanting, too.

No one mentioned that it seemed like a Port that had been in bottle too long, though stylistically it seemed to have sharper edges than might be normal. Even after the reveal no one thought that it had suffered from bottle age, though it did lose out on Port of the Night to a 2011 bottling of S. Leonardo 40 Year Old. You know, one of those old really amazing ones. So no shame in that.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Both sound fabulous!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

A half bottle of Croft 2004, bottled in 2009. Still drinking very nicely, full of sour cherry fruit. Just the right wine for when the decanter has somehow become empty but you’re still thirsty.
A.S. Demka

Post by A.S. Demka »

Blackett 20yo white, bottled in 2023
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

A.S. Demka wrote:Blackett 20yo white, bottled in 2023
What did you think of it? I had it recently so curious on your experience.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Scott Esterly

Post by Scott Esterly »

Niepoort 20 year old tawny. I just love this tawny.