The horrible concrete-like wax capsules!

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Gary Rust

The horrible concrete-like wax capsules!

Post by Gary Rust »

What is the solution? And why are (were?) these impenetrable things used? Is there a better way to get to the cork than chip . . . chip . . . chipping away? Why have Dow, Grahams avoided this messy stuff while getting into an '83 Cockburn is so difficult . . .? [shrug.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: The horrible concrete-like wax capsules!

Post by Andy Velebil »

Gary,

First let me [welcome.gif] you to the forum!

Yes, those hard wax capsules are a royal pain in the you know what. There really is no easy way of removing it other than chipping it off. I've tried heating to soften it, screwing the corkscrew through the top of it then pulling the cork out, and some other ways and the best way I've found is to just chip it off. Of course, the best way is to use Port tongs. But heating them up, etc, would take longer than just chipping it off.

I lay the top of the bottle on the edge of the trash can for support, then I use a very small hammer to carefully chip off the wax. The very small hammer I've had since I was a kid works great (I don't recommend using a large one). If I don't have a hammer, I use the metal back end of the cork screw lever (the part that pushes against the lip of the bottle when you remove a cork).

I hope you don't run across the hard plastic bulb-capsules that were somewhat popular from about 1963 to about 1970....I'd rather have the wax!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Put the corkscrew right through it or chip away. The tongs is the worst solution if you leave the wax on. One slight touch with hot tongs and it stinks to high hell. Only the top has to be chipped away.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I just use the back of a table knife to chip away at the top until the cork is exposed enough for extraction. It does make a colossal mess, but I haven't found anything that both works better and makes less mess. If done over a large sink the mess is pretty well contained, so it's not that big of a deal.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Now why hasn't this topic come up before ... or maybe it has and of the thousands here, I just don't remember.

Anyway, Andy wrote:
I hope you don't run across the hard plastic bulb-capsules that were somewhat popular from about 1963 to about 1970....I'd rather have the wax!
I must admit, this was the very first thing that came to my mind too! :salute:

The way to prevent the mess is to put either a wash cloth or disposible wipe around the neck of the bottle and put a rubber band to hold it on and catch what would have otherwise been the flying fragments. It is about as clean as this crazy capsule can get when being whacked with the back of a knife or weight of a cork screw. I guess you can also use a hammer as Andy mentioned, but that might be overkill for those not in law enforcement. [foilhat.gif] :mrgreen:

As to the plastic-rubberized nightmarish capsules that almost all of my 1966s have, now that is a serious pain and WORTH using a tongs for sure. I have seen one serious accident by a friend in VA about 18 years ago trying to remove that with a special carpet cutting blade which resulted in me driving him to the emergency room for stitches. I've come close myself with a screwdriver. It really was a fairly lame idea to use either of these two types of capsules, imo.

Welcome to :ftlop: and please do share more of these types of Port enigmas with us.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I take the bottle outside to chip off the wax.
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

While we are on the subject, I do have one of those nightmare bulb plastic caps. What is the best way of getting rid of it and exposing the cork (if not tonging the bottle)?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:While we are on the subject, I do have one of those nightmare bulb plastic caps. What is the best way of getting rid of it and exposing the cork (if not tonging the bottle)?
Kurt,

I've found the best way to deal with these pesky capsules is to don a pair of heavy leather gloves (one can never be too safe). Lay the bottle on its side, get a heavy duty razor blade (in a holder) and make two parallel cuts about 1" apart, from the bottom of the capsule toward the top. This usually takes a couple passes to totally cut all the way through it. Then peel up the small section and you generally can then pop off the entire capsule. That is the best and easiest way I've found to remove them. Just remember to make the cuts AWAY from your hand and body. You don't want that razor to slip and hit your hand or other body part.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Kurt Wieneke wrote:While we are on the subject, I do have one of those nightmare bulb plastic caps. What is the best way of getting rid of it and exposing the cork (if not tonging the bottle)?
The technique that works best for me is to slide a small screwdriver under the lip of the cap and then lever it off. They tend to pop off very easy and are - believe it or not - re-usable!
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Al B. wrote:The technique that works best for me is to slide a small screwdriver under the lip of the cap and then lever it off. They tend to pop off very easy and are - believe it or not - re-usable!
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who ends up using this technique. I figured there was some elegant solution I was missing...
Tom D.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote:
The technique that works best for me is to slide a small screwdriver under the lip of the cap and then lever it off. They tend to pop off very easy and are - believe it or not - re-usable!
I would be afraid of cracking or splintering the glass when doing this... I assume that's never been a problem for you?
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

No, you don't seem to need to use that much pressure.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Al B. wrote:
I tried this recently. Not as easy as you make out....the head of the screwdriver didn't get past the lip of the glass at the top of neck, and i couldn't get the necessary leverage. You'll have to make a youtube video!

From now on i'll be removing the cap on these before i stand to rest.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

For wax capsules, my standard method is to put the bottle on a small tray, put a wrap of clingfilm over the top, and then tap gently with the back of a heavy kitchen knife to shatter the wax. After shattering the top, I then remove the film and pare off the remains with the sharp side of the knife. This way, just about all the debris ends up on the tray, which I then shoot into the bin.

For plastic bulb capsules, boil an electric kettle, and use the steam to soften the capsule. After spinning the top of the bottle in the flow of steam for about 20 seconds, you will find the capsule is really soft and can be easily pulled off with your finger nails. Provided you don't overdo it, you won't cook the wine.

If you don't have a kettle handy, a hairdryer will probably work, but may take a little longer.
From now on i'll be removing the cap on these before i stand to rest
It's generally a good idea to take all capsules off as you stand the bottles up.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Tom Archer wrote:
From now on i'll be removing the cap on these before i stand to rest
It's generally a good idea to take all capsules off as you stand the bottles up.
Why so? I don't find i have issues with disturbing sediment when removing capsules other than the rubber capsules mentioned above.

Plus the number of times i have stood a bottle and then a change of plan has occurred...
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I don't find i have issues with disturbing sediment when removing capsules other than the rubber capsules mentioned above
Neither do I, if I'm careful, but it's quicker and easier to whip a capsule off if you don't have to worry about disturbing the sediment as you do so; and if your plans do change, you can always stick it back in the rack to await another day..
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

:thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com