1983 Dow's Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Lamont Huxley

1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Lamont Huxley »

A fairly dark purple hue, though going ruddy around the edges, showing some age. The nose is not particularly giving - there are notes of dark fruit, sort of kirsch-like, a bit raisiny, but hard to coax out of the glass. Opens with soft but fairly full fruit with flavors of black cherry and prune followed by black pepper and a little bit of spirit. There is decent structure there, but the tannins are now well in the background and the finish is of moderate length showing hints of cocoa and a bit of spirit persisting. Decent but unexciting. 84pts, Tasted 2/08
The Port Maverick
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1983 Dow's Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, I have always felt this was in the top rung of 1983s produced. I have had this a bunch, most of my purchases of this wine were in around 1992-1994 when it was still selling for $19 a pop.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Roy Hersh wrote:Wow, I have always felt this was in the top rung of 1983s produced. I have had this a bunch, most of my purchases of this wine were in around 1992-1994 when it was still selling for $19 a pop.
Bearing that in mind I'd be interested to try it again sometime. Maybe this was just one of those cases of a not-so-good bottle...
The Port Maverick
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

This from the beloved's and my anniversary year. We had much of it bought for around $25. Always a favorite but I think I average 92 points. We have 10 bottles left.
Richard Henderson
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

Richard Henderson wrote:This from the beloved's and my anniversary year. We had much of it bought for around $25. Always a favorite but I think I average 92 points. We have 10 bottles left.
Well then it definitely looks like this deserves a second shot. I just wish I could still find it for $25...
The Port Maverick
Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

The Cellar Tracker average is 92.3 or close to that. We have had some bottles better than others. Maybe you had a bad cork . It happens.
Richard Henderson
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I did not check the Cellar Tracker scores, but did go into the FTLOP TNDB, with palates I trust far more when it comes to Port!

My own 3 TN's averaged 92.3 points, while the rest of our community with LOTS of TNs on this wine were between 89-92 points. Two scores, Lamont's 84 and Al B.'s 87 brought down the average a bit. Most of Al B's impressions ... over six TNs easily were considerably higher and that bottle must have been off too.

Lamont, give it another try!!!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com