Port Friends in the Boston Area

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jim C.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Port Friends in the Boston Area

Post by Jim C. »

I love port but I'm not too good at articulating what I am tasting. I think it would add to my enjoyment if I were able to have more meaningful conversations with my brothers and friends when we open a VP, LBV or aged tawny. I also think it would help me figure out what I like best and decide what my next purchases will be. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of people in the area who are into port. (My brothers live in D.C.) Are there people in the Boston area who meet regularly (or irregularly) to sample ports and share opinions? I imagine everyone brings a bottle or half bottle, or we alternate bringing bottles. I am fine with whatever the expectation is -- just don't make me bring one of my last two '77 Taylors to the first meeting!

Best regards,
Jim Chicoski
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Friends in the Boston Area

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jim,

[welcome.gif] to the forum and you've come to the right place. We've got several members from your area who are very good people so hopefully things work out so you can meet up and learn from each other. Don't worry about bringing the 1977 to the first meeting, do you have a 1900 VP you could bring instead :wink: Ok I'm just kidding there :lol: I know Moses drinks all kinds of Ports and wines and hopefully you can get him to part with one if his Vesuvio bottles so he can finally experience it.

And I need to add, please don't hesitate to ask this group any question you may have. We're a friendly bunch, a little weird at times, but very friendly I assure you and no question is too small to ask. [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Did someone mention drinking port in the Boston area? I am always down for an "off-line", be it formal or casual. Generally, we each bring a bottle depending on what the nature of event will be; vintage, house, style, etc... If someone does not have a bottle, we'll credit the people who do have a bottle with the lowest wine-searcher price available and divide the total cost. I am not exclusive to port; there are many styles of wine I like and don't foget the cigars!

I can host up to 4 people as my condo is small, but have enough port glasses (probably over 100) to put a decent event together.

Andy, still too gun shy to open any of the Vesuvios!

Feel free to IM me and we can work on a port tasting, or more like port drinking! I store a lot of wine off site. Right now, the best port I have on hand is 1970 Warre and 1970 Sandeman Magnum which we could open for sure. I know a couple other collectors who would like to join in too.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut Jim ,
Although I'm not from the Boston area ( 6 hours due north ) , have attended an offline with Moses .
What makes my post ironic is Andy gave me my avatar and my avatar was a direct result of the offline with Moses . . .
AH those were the days [shok.gif]
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Luc Gauthier wrote:Salut Jim ,
Although I'm not from the Boston area ( 6 hours due north ) , have attended an offline with Moses .
What makes my post ironic is Andy gave me my avatar and my avatar was a direct result of the offline with Moses . . .
AH those were the days [shok.gif]
You're scaring him now! Jim will learn the rule "no one leaves until all the port is gone." [shok.gif] [kez_11.gif]

Port drinkers are a fraternity and you know about the hazing fraternities do, lol...
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote: You're scaring him now! Jim will learn the rule "no one leaves until all the port is gone." [shok.gif] [kez_11.gif]

Port drinkers are a fraternity and you know about the hazing fraternities do, lol...
Please leave the sheep at the farm this time, hazing has been outlawed [foilhat.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dan s
Location: groton, Massachusetts, United States of America - USA

Post by dan s »

Yes, there are a few port drinkers here in the Boston area. I haven't, yet, attended an offline but I haven't seen any scheduled recently.

Luc, we manage to make it to Montreal a few times a year as well. I guess I should keep my eyes and ears open when we make our way north.

Dan
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I'm not in the business of scaring .
But then again , you must consider the source .
We're talking about a guy who thought Port and peanut butter was a great mix [shok.gif]
Fortunately :ftlop: showed me the light :clap:
Jim C.

Post by Jim C. »

No one has scared me away yet. In my opinion port goes great with anything...or nothing at all!

Snowstorm is coming tonight, people, make sure you stock up on bread, milk and LBVs!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jim C. wrote:No one has scared me away yet. In my opinion port goes great with anything...or nothing at all!

Snowstorm is coming tonight, people, make sure you stock up on bread, milk and LBVs!
I like you're thinking :winebath:
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

I'm an hour north in Durham NH, an enormous Port fan, and often drive to Boston for wine events.
Haven't been very active here lately other than some lurking though! And of course drinking.

I live near sheep, goats, cows, and Llamas, but rarely bring them to tastings :)
Although that said, I cooked some duck, goat, sheep, and cow for my last wine party - unfortunately I have no where to host right now, although I sometimes have access spring/fall to a waterfront location south of Portland Maine - last time NO one drove home, or even made it out the front door. It was the final mag of 77 Warres that stopped any silly ideas of driving home.
Any Port in a Storm
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Luc Gauthier wrote:AH those were the days [shok.gif]
I have been rebuilding some Ferreira stock, ready for another vertical. I have 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985, and 1994. There could be a few others since I don't have a record inventory of my collection. [friends.gif]
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Luc Gauthier wrote:AH those were the days [shok.gif]
I have been rebuilding some Ferreira stock, ready for another vertical. I have 1977, 1980, 1983, 1985, and 1994. There could be a few others since I don't have a record inventory of my collection. [friends.gif]
Pretty sure I've got a 55 Ferreira
Any Port in a Storm
Jim C.

Post by Jim C. »

Port get-together
My new Boston port friends
While it's still winter

I hope my haiku jump-starts a Boston port drinking event soon!

I can host, although I have never hosted before and not met anyone. I live in Newton, MA.

Jim
Joe Chan

Post by Joe Chan »

I live in Brookline, and I'd also be interested in a tasting event. I'm just getting into Port, it would be a great way to meet some experienced drinkers. So how do these events typically work? Everyone bring something, or do we all chip in some money?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

It all depends on what theme what the tasting to be. What are some of the vintages or houses you'd like to do?

Typically, there are costs beyond just the port (food, other wine if any, etc...) Let's decide a on a theme and we can see who has what and go from there. I know a couple of collectors who are not on the site and would like to attend. I am familiar with their collections so I know what they can provide.

An 80's vintage free-for-all would be an easy one or a particular house like Dow, Taylor, Graham is easy too.
Jim C.

Post by Jim C. »

OK, how about Dow vertical? I always seem to like their ports more than, say, Graham's. Maybe someone can help me understand why!
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Salut Jim ,

If memory serves , Dow allows the fermentation process longer .
The longer the fermentation process , the dryier the port .
Grahams ports are typicaly sweeter than most .
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Jim C. wrote:OK, how about Dow vertical? I always seem to like their ports more than, say, Graham's. Maybe someone can help me understand why!
Dow's reputation is for drier Ports, while Graham's reputation is for sweeter Ports. This is all relative, though, because even a Dow Port is very sweet compared to a typical red wine.

As I recall, Roy has told me that the actual difference in sugar content between Dow and Graham is typically no more than 1-2 grams/liter for similar Ports. I also have a vague memory of reading somewhere that the residual sugar content of Port is typically about 70 grams/liter (vs 6-7 for red wine), so you're looking at a relatively small difference between Dow and Graham.
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Side-by-side, it's darn impossible to taste a difference in dryness between Dow, Graham, and Vesuvio. 1985 Dow is their “driest” recent vintage to me.

Anyone down for a casual port night tomorrow?