Quinta Do Noval - Silval 1997

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ross Lynch

Quinta Do Noval - Silval 1997

Post by Ross Lynch »

I see a lot of information on the 2000 vintage, anyone have any experience with the 97? AND does anyone have additional information about the Sival, besides the basic information you can get on the bottle?

Thanks!

8)
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Never had the 97 but the 2000 and 98 which I had 2 times each were of very good quality considering the price and the 2000 a good step ahead. It is a very good VP to drink after 15 years of age.

Do not get confused, it is not made from grapes from the Quinta do Silval, it is only another Noval brand.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Fred_Quebec wrote: Do not get confused, it is not made from grapes from the Quinta do Silval, it is only another Noval brand.
Hi Fred. You are correct on this. A couple years ago I had the pleasure to meet Mr Carlos Magalhães, who explain me the brand SILVAL. Mr Magalhães, the owner of "Quinta do Silval" itself, can not use the name "Silval" :!: and labels his Ports under the name "Magalhães" because Quinta do Noval has registered the brand "Silval" in the past.

Quinta do Noval actually owns a smaller portion of the land that borders and also used to be part of Quinta do Silval long ago. So, I guess that at Noval they used to call that smaller portion of land as "Silval" and more recently proceeded with the registering and also the trademarking of it.
This issue has never been a question of conflict for when "Silval" was registered by Quinta do Noval, Mr Cristiano van Zeller (whose family was in possession of Quinta do Noval at the time) advised Mr Carlos Magalhães on that. At the time Mr. Magalhães of Quinta do Silval was not labelling any wine, opting to sell his whole production to several major producers such as Barros, Rozès, Taylor Fladgate and Sandeman, and cared less about registrations and trademarks.

More recently Quinta do Silval (of Mr Carlos Magalhães) decided to move forward and label its own Ports. So far only 5 were made available into the market:
  • Magalhães 2003 Vintage Port
  • Magalhães 2002 Vintage Port
  • Magalhães 2000 Vintage Port
  • Magalhães LBV 2001
  • Magalhães LBV 1999
Last edited by Mario Ferreira on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Have you tasted Magalhaes VP 2000, would you recommend it? I read that this port did very well on a Decanter panel tasting recently (got 5 stars).

Chris
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

note: The Info below was provided by Quinta do Noval.
SILVAL 1997 VINTAGE

Producer: QUINTA DO NOVAL VINHOS S.A.
Wine Maker: António Agrellos
Source of Grapes: The wine was made from grapes from QUINTA DO NOVAL - Vale de Mendiz, in the valley of the river Pinhão, a tributary of the Douro.
Grape Varieties: Touriga Francesa (30%), Tinta Roriz (20%), Tinta Barroca (10%), Old Traditionals Varieties (40%).
Vinification: The grapes were trodden and fermented in the traditional Lagares of the Quinta, where a disciplined treading regime is fundamental to the final result.
Ageing: 2 years in wooden barrels in the Noval cellars of the Quinta before bottling.
Alcoholic Degree: 20,1%Vol
Degree Baume: 2,5º
Sugar Contents MG/L: 81,6 g/l
Total Acidity: 4,28 g/l Tartaric Ac.
PH: 3,65
Tasting Notes: Dark inky colour. Fine bouquet, with depth intense ripe fruit and sweetness. On the mouth is full of fresh red fruit, well balanced with a solid tannic structure and a long finish. Ideally served with cheese, this wine can mature and improve in bottle for many years.
Last edited by Mario Ferreira on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Mario,

I am very happy you have come to post here finally. :D

When you get a chance can you look in on the post re: Colheita and the makeup of the blend in terms of "topping off" and additions to the cuvee.

Thanks and welcome aboard!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ross Lynch

Post by Ross Lynch »

Thanks all!! Great information!
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Chris wrote:Have you tasted Magalhaes VP 2000, would you recommend it? I read that this port did very well on a Decanter panel tasting recently (got 5 stars).
Chris
Chris - please check for my comments on my other post at this Port Forum. Subject: Magalhães VP 2000 - Quinta do Silval. Click here and you'll get right there.