The challenge of the French vs. the Portuguese

For Discussion of Table Wines from all regions of Portugal

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Re: The challenge of the French vs. the Portuguese

Post by Eric Menchen »

Those last points should be a wake up call because when China slows down or stops buying what will Bordeaux do?
If they are wise, they will laugh counting their yuan over a good bottle of wine.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: The challenge of the French vs. the Portuguese

Post by Andy Velebil »

Remeber I mentioned that Bordeaux bubble bursting? Well check out this article HERE.
Top Bordeaux wines including Lafite-Rothschild failed to achieve their lowest estimates at a recent Hong Kong wine auction - while Burgundy hit new heights. John Kapon, CEO of Acker, Merrill and Condit, told Decanter.com, 'I think the Bordeaux market got a little overheated. It's been so strong for the past couple of years,'

'There perhaps has been a bit of an oversupply, he said. 'There's also some resentment after the aggressive 2010 campaign.'
I'm not saying the bubble has blown up, but that bubble has appeared to reach maximum density.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Unless I misinterpreted the article, a case of 1982 Ch. Lafite-Rothschild went for about 20,800 Pounds instead of the projected 25,000 to 38,000 pound range. That still seems like a lot of money, even if slightly less than before. When the price of 1st and 2nd crus en primeur starts dropping towards something reasonable, then the bloom will be definitely off the rose. It looks like red Burgundy is about to feel the inflationary effect of Chinese demand.

At least we can remain thankful that vintage port and madeira remain comparatively unfashionable, and affordable. :winepour:
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I think the Chinese will enjoy drinking Burgundy more than Bordeaux. Wait till they get a taste for port; look out! [help.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray Barnes wrote:Unless I misinterpreted the article, a case of 1982 Ch. Lafite-Rothschild went for about 20,800 Pounds instead of the projected 25,000 to 38,000 pound range. That still seems like a lot of money, even if slightly less than before. When the price of 1st and 2nd crus en primeur starts dropping towards something reasonable, then the bloom will be definitely off the rose. It looks like red Burgundy is about to feel the inflationary effect of Chinese demand.

At least we can remain thankful that vintage port and madeira remain comparatively unfashionable, and affordable. :winepour:
Yes a lot of money still. But the point was that for the first time since this bubble was building BDX prices for the top houses came in under their lowest estimates. A sign that BDX prices have potentially reached their max and are now due for a correction of some type.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com