New Port Glass from Churchill Graham

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

New Port Glass from Churchill Graham

Post by Moses Botbol »

In May Churchill’s has launched an exclusive new Port glass. The company writes that the model was discovered amongst family treasures and, in collaboration with Schott Zwiesel, a tulip-shaped glass was created of Tritan Crystal, completely free of both lead and barium and 60% more resistent and long lasting than lead crystal. The glass will be engraved with the Churchill Graham Limitada logo.

The glass will be available at Churchill’s visitors' centre in Vila Nova de Gaia for 15 Euros.

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Todd Pettinger

Re: New Port Glass from Churchill Graham

Post by Todd Pettinger »

much more bowl-shaped than elongated. It's difficult to tell exactly how wide the mouth is (will the bouquet be more evident with this shape or less?)

I'm not good with the physics side of things so not sure how this specific "geometry" (if it can be called that) will affect what you get out of the port as far as nose, etc.

I like the fact there is no barium or lead in the crystal though :thumbsup:

I'd love to try one
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

My thought is it would bring out more of the fruit and make the Port taste "softer", but who knows?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's really not to far off from a small white wine glass, which is my glass of choice when at a restuarant that doesn't have actual Port glasses.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:It's really not to far off from a small white wine glass, which is my glass of choice when at a restuarant that doesn't have actual Port glasses.
I taste-tested with a bunch of different catering glasses and the small white wine glass came out best among their choices as well. I rent those for tastings. Some day I'll just have to buy three or four cases from that place Glenn has mentioned in other threads.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

The white wine glass does well in restaraunts that don't have real port glasses.

there's an added benefit sometimes in that the person pouring really is shocked at how small a pour of port "looks" when in a white wine glass. Sometimes, they feel sorry and tip a little more in until it looks a little more... "right" :salute: [cheers.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Todd Pettinger wrote:The white wine glass does well in restaraunts that don't have real port glasses.

there's an added benefit sometimes in that the person pouring really is shocked at how small a pour of port "looks" when in a white wine glass. Sometimes, they feel sorry and tip a little more in until it looks a little more... "right" :salute: [cheers.gif]
That's why I ask for port in their largest red wine glass [beg.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd Pettinger wrote:The white wine glass does well in restaraunts that don't have real port glasses.

Yeah that is the added benefit of the larger glass for sure!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com