Vintage port wedding present for soon-to-be husband

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

meghanclare22

Vintage port wedding present for soon-to-be husband

Post by meghanclare22 »

Hi, I want to buy some vintage port as a wedding present for my soon-to-be husband. I know nothing about port, other than that I like to drink it.

My almost husband (wedding is less than 3 weeks away) likes port, but he's not a conneissur. However, I thought that this would be a good time to get something *really* special. (It's partly a selfish gift I admit.)

I want something we can drink now. I was looking at the fonseca 63, but the only place I've found in NYC w/ the fonseca 63 in stock is charging $475. I was thinking I'd spend more like $300-$350. Besides, it seems a bit silly to spend that much when we don't really have any vintage port context in which we'll be drinking it.

That said, I've found a place that's selling the Quinta do Noval 1963 for $169. But is this the same as the Quinta do Noval "Nacional?" Or are there two different versions, the Nacional being the extra special version?

Was thinking if I did get that Quinta do Noval, I'd also get perhaps the 85 Fonseca--thinking we could hang on to it for a bit, or drink it.

Does this make sense? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Meghan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Meghan,

Welcome to the FTLOP Forum.

Quinta do Noval Nacional is often one of the top wines in any vintage that it is produced. That was certainly the case in 1963 and prices typically fetched for this wine range from $1800 to $2800 per bottle. The wine comes from a small plot of ground (a single 2.5 ha or 6.25 acre vineyard) on the Noval property, just below the Quinta itself. It is one of my great experiences to have stood amongst those vines.

On the other hand, the 1963 regular bottling of Quinta do Noval, is a decent Vintage Port (VP) that is still showing signs of life but no longer the excellent wine it was 15 years ago. You can do better for the same amount of money.

Have a look at the PORT & MADEIRA MARKETPLACE FORUM on this site. There is currently a great, private sale for members of this Forum ONLY. It is all VP and goes until Thursday at noon EST. There are not only some excellent older VPs there, but very compelling prices. Have a look at some of the great bottles offered including the '85 Fonseca that you mentioned.

Glad to have you with us!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
meghanclare22

Post by meghanclare22 »

Thank you very much. I thought that price seemed mysteriously low!

I will check out the marketplace forum. I'm sure I will also be back on this site. I'm enjoying learning about port, and one of the reasons I like the idea of giving this present is that it seems to be a something we can keep learning about and enjoying for the rest of our lives.

If things go well, I'll buy him (us) something old and rare for an anniversary.

Thanks again,
Meghan
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Have a wonderful anniversary, and I think you are very thoughtful (regardless of your level of Port knowledge) to put so much effort into a gift. Please do continue to look in on us. Should you ever want to offer a special anniversary gift in the future, consider joining us for one of our tours of the Port region. :)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com