Nacional 1962, 1980 and 1985

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Julian old_ac Wiseman

Nacional 1962, 1980 and 1985

Post by Julian old_ac Wiseman »

Nacional 1962, Nacional 1980, and Nacional 1985 were tasted in a further celebration of the birth of my first child, Sophia Wiseman. Present were myself and the missus, and friends BAW ODM TZ SGO'S and RO'S; the first of these bringing some fines cheeses.

All were decanted at about 3pm through muslin, and we started soon after 6pm.

The 1962, the darkest of the three, had both bitterness and sweetness in both nose and palate. The bitterness was hard to pin down precisely: "an unlit cigar", "leather", one suggesting "the bitterness of coffee". I am sure that the sweetness was Gales runny English honey; though others preferred "caramel". It was long, but the taste at the tail of the length was far weaker than that of the 1980.

The 1980 was unremarkable when first in the glass: pale and the palest of the three; with no noteworthy features to the bouquet. But so long, and so mouth-fillingly huge in the palate, and peppery. Five minutes later the nose had so much passion fruit. I have never had port like it: the passion fruit is overpowering and utterly delicious and all over it. The passion fruit lasted all evening, and was present even when the glass was freshly refilled. If any readers know by what process it appears after the delay, please share. A great port.

The 1985 was the least pleasing, having the same hard-to-define off note, in both nose and mouth, as the ordinary (and cheaper!) Noval 1985. The off note, again like the N85, faded to mere roughness. After half an hour, by when our judgement might have started to become impaired, there was some of the passion fruit, but to nothing like the same extent as the 1980. Again, I find myself disliking what Noval did in 1985. (However, Sophia liked the 1985 more than the 1962 and the 1980.)

I would like to give a report on how these three developed over the next twelve hours, but there were seven of us and only three bottles, so I can't.

Finally, a question about the labels: does anyone know why the 1980 was relabelled, and in a manner so ill-keeping with the usual Noval labelling?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Nacional 1962, 1980 and 1985

Post by David Spriggs »

Wow! Great Notes! Congratulations on the baby! Great pics too!

-Dave-
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The statement on the label 'Produced from pre-phylloxera grapes' - when the vines were first planted in 1926 - is outrageously untruthful.

I believe they've stopped making the claim now.

BTW ICU invited the Acronyms to the party :D

Tom
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, it went unnoticed for many years. I don't think that it was done intentionally, but the verbiage was changed to VINES instead of GRAPES. I have discussed this over the years with Cristiano Van Zeller and with Christian Seely and it is was a very interesting topic.

By the way, through my own extensive research, I believe that the Nacional vineyard was replanted in 1926, not 1925. The legendary 1931 therefore, came from six year old YOUNG vines which is certainly contrary to the thinking that only low yielding old vines can produce the greatest grape quality. Clearly this is the example I always use to knock down that myth.

What has always struck me is that Nacional was always bottled in Portugal and never bottled in a Magnum. I discussed these topics with Mr. Seely too, as I really wanted to see if he'd consider bottling in Mag. He said yes that he has thought about it before and wants to do it, but it is a matter of choosing the right time/vintage to do so. I did not want to push the envelope and refrained from asking why the 2000 was not the perfect time to do so. Anyway, I look forward to seeing the day when Nacional does wind up in a Magnum. In fact, I am sure I will buy one (or two) for my daughter to enjoy later in her life.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

vines or grapes (I notice that the '62 bottle says vines) - it is still a misleading statement.

Tom
Julian old_ac Wiseman

Post by Julian old_ac Wiseman »

The 'problem' with a great Nacional magnum is that it would not be ready to drink in my lifetime.