UNOFFICIAL POLL: Which Port producer ...

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

UNOFFICIAL POLL: Which Port producer ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

... is your personal favorite?

As much as I would like to see which Port producer people enjoy most ... or collect most, I want to be able to see in your posts the - why - behind your response as well.

If you want to be detailed, you can include different producers for these categories (just copy and past them into your post) at the end of next week, I'll tally up the responses.

LBV Port:
Crusted:
Reserva (used to be Vintage Character):
10 Year Old Tawny:
20 Year Old Tawny:
30 Year Old Tawny:
40 Year Old Tawny:
Colheita:
Vintage:

Also, regardless of category, which ONE producer have you tried in the past 5 years, that you feel is the greatest rising star in Port wine?

- same question for - Douro wine?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Here is my :twocents:

LBV Port: Warre's Traditional - for me, this beats many VP's

Crusted: Have only had Dow's and didn't think it was anything spectacular - no vote :?

Reserva: Cockburn's - especially chilled - I find this a good full bodied wine for a nightcap

10 Year Old Tawny: Have not had many so I will say Warre's Otima just because of the cool bottle 8)

20 Year Old Tawny: Same answer as 10yo

30 Year Old Tawny: I don't think I've ever had one :oops:

40 Year Old Tawny: Have only had 2 - Calem, which I did not like and Vasconcellos, which I had a glass of in VNG and thought it was gorgeous - so my vote goes to Vasconcellos

Colheita: Wiese & Krohn 1965 gets my vote - it was the year I was born and it's a great wine - I had this on my 40th birthday

Vintage: Fonseca - the 63, 66 & 70 line-up I had last year blew my mind and were head and shoulders above very high class competition on the night from Graham's, Taylor and Sandeman - the Fonseca 85 and 2000 are also high up my list of the best VP's I have had. One day soon I am hoping to replace Fonseca with Noval Nacional but can't yet as I have only had 1 NN vintage.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

My :twocents:

LBV Port: A tie between Warres and Smith Woodhouse, traditional LBV. Probably because it is the ones I've had the most of, are the easiest to find, and are at an affordable price point for a really good LBV.

Crusted: Dow's....because it is the only one I've had

Reserva (used to be Vintage Character): Graham's They are by far the most consistant in terms of being loaded with fruit, very nicely integrated alcohol, and very silky. I've enjoyed Graham's more than any other in this category.

10 Year Old Tawny: Niepoort. Some special memories, that I won't go into, behind that decision.

20 Year Old Tawny: Quinta do Noval. Have you ever just had a bottle that screamed, "This one is for you", well this one is for me.

30 Year Old Tawny: Funny, I've only had the Graham's. These and the 40 yr olds, are just a bit too expensive for a tawny.

40 Year Old Tawny: One of these days I will try one.

Colheita: I've had a few but not enough to pick a clear favorite.

Vintage: Taylors. The 1966 and 1970 were the first 2 old VP's that I ever had, both bottles were outstanding. Ahh, the memories :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

my thoughts

LBV Port: Niepoort. But I agree the Warre traditional 1995 is really nice as well. If I get a chance to try some more vintages of the Warres I may change my mind.

Crusted: None....I have only ever had the Dow, and did not like it that much. Again, this may change with some more experience.

Reserva (used to be Vintage Character): Still not sure!

10 Year Old Tawny: Niepoort, fantastic and fairly cheap as well

20 Year Old Tawny: Grahams, a nice balance of fruit with the finer aroma and smoky-nutty flavor

30 Year Old Tawny: Taylor. Only one I have had, and it was darn good!

40 Year Old Tawny: I have not yet had one of these. Suggestions?

Colheita: I have not had enough to decide here.

Vintage: Grahams, with Warre a close second. The 66 Grahams is the best port I have had to date......although I have not had so many, particularly older vintages, that I would not expect this may change.

New house: Vesuvio. The why is that after reading the great reviews in general on this site I ordered the 1994 vesuvio at a resturant one night :shock: . Then made everybody wait while I had another glass :lol: . I would have had another as well but was dragged away :( . I could still taste it 1 hour later when I got home. The next day I bought all the 94 that I could find in the Bay area, and picked up some 2000 as well. Now I have a few bottles at least of the 91, 94, 99, 2000, and 2003. Thats a pretty good first impression! :D
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I forgot to vote for a New House :oops:

IMHO I think Vesuvio doesn't really qualify as it has always been a fairly high profile Quinta. It also has the advantage of the backing of the Symington Group which gives it a head start over all others.

My vote goes to Portal, simply because Mario allowed me to taste their 2003's and they were superb. The price of these wines is also fantastic as they do not attract the silly premium that other houses do.

Derek
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I thought long and hard whether to answer this poll (being ITB), but in the end thought - what the heck!

Reserva: Qta. d. Javali (DISCLAIMER: I import this Port)
Crusted: Graham's
LBV: Niepoort - without a doubt.
10YOT - tricky; I'm torn between Burmester and Qta. d. Javali (DISCLAIMER: I import this Port).
20YOT- Qta. d. Vallado - a masterpiece
30YOY - Niepoort: head and shoulders above the rest.
40YOT - Qta. d. Romaneira
Colheita: Depending on the year - Niepoort or Kopke
Vintage: Fonseca

Rising star: I'm tempted to put Qta. d. Javali here as well (great things are being done here, but I'm biased), so will give my vote to Qta. d. Vallado...I hope they will produce a LBV soon!

Perhaps as important: ALL ROUND FAVOURITE - Niepoort. When I have to reccommend a Port to friends, it is always Niepoort - IMHO they are always in the top 3 of whatever style.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A fabulous read. Come on folks, venture out of your lurking ways to respond to this one. I am sure this is very informative and even if you only want to respond for one or two categores ... GO FOR IT!!!
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

LBV Port: quinta do noval 97&94 traditional :lick:
Crusted:none :help:
Reserva (used to be Vintage Character): bin 27 & six grapes,when there's not thing else to drink :drunk:
10 Year Old Tawny: niepoort. thanks Andy :thanks:
20 Year Old Tawny: sandeman :clap:
30 Year Old Tawny: none :help:
40 Year Old Tawny: none :help:
Colheita: noval 71&64 and also dow's 92 for the price 8)
Vintage: it's a toss-up between the dow's 77 & the fonseca 70
:yumyum:
pgwerner

Post by pgwerner »

LBV Port: 97 Quinto do Crasto, though 98 Ramos-Pinto is my usual "go-to" port.
Crusted: I like Dow's, but I have nothing else to compare it to.
Reserva: I usually consider this category mediocre and overpriced, but I remember liking Ferreira 'Doña Antonia'.
Paul_B

Post by Paul_B »

Hi all,

my picks are:

LBV: Quinta do Infantado
Crusted: no vote, haven't had many
Reserva: never drink this, we use it for cooking as well as Tawny.
10-Year: Cockburn
20-Year: Sandeman & Graham's
30-Year: Kopke and the now out of production Burmester's 30 year old.
40-year: haven't had many.
Colheita: Noval from the 70's, Calem from the 80's
Vintage: Graham's

Oh and special mention to best rare product: Mackenzie extra old white tawny. (my guess it is blend of around 20 years). Wish more producers would release "uncommon" products from time to time.

Best new comer: Quinta da Roriz (VP 2003 is amazing!)

cheers
Paul
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jay,

I was talking to one of the Symington family members on Tuesday night/Wed. a.m. and we were chatting about all kinds of Port topics and wound up with Vesuvio, since it is one of the Quintas we will be visiting on the upcoming trip (we'll have some '94 for sure). He was discussing the fact that they purchased Quinta do Vesuvio in 1989, which was also their first bottling.

He believes that the true greatness of Vesuvio was first evident with the release of their 1994 and that from then on, Vesuvio became one of their greatest Vintage Ports. He did not have to twist my arm, as I have long been a believer of the '94, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01 and '03. The two in the mix that I have always been pleased with are the '96 and '99. Why? Those are both undeclared vintages and neither has a large number of shippers that produced in those years. Yet, both vintages of Vesuvio are very solid VPs and to me, that speaks volumes when you can consistently make great Vintage Ports year in and year out. Bravo!

Glad you liked the 1994 too. It is right at the top of the vintage with two or three other greats from that very special year. I hope to get to drink some with you in Portugal this fall. If not, another time!
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

I am greatly looking forward to visiting Vesuvio, along with the other many stops on the trip :yumyum: !

I'll be on the lookout for some of the 96. Another nice thing about the 99, is the low price......plus you get that nifty little ceramic bin lable thingy in all their half cases :wink:

As Derek said, it's not exactly new, but it is new to me. And, although I have some Portal, I'm not willing to open it quite yet. Ask me in two months who my favorite new house is and I should be able to reel off a few!

Jay
Hugh Robinson

Post by Hugh Robinson »

Well, you've managed to get a lurker to come out of the woodwork. I will answer the questions, but a few words on me first. I'm 29 and a former IT professional. I'm retraining right now in another field and may end up in a third field (the wine trade - due to a chance meeting!). I live in Sheffield (England), know enough about Port to know I don't know enough..., but I haven't posted answers to questions posed here before because they are always answered (and better than I could have done) before I get to them.

On to the question:

LBV: My favourite was a Krohn. Can't remember the year. It was intense and fruity and lovely. I think the Warres on offer in Tescos is probably the best deal around, £6 for a reasonable bottle of LBV Port... Occasionally its good to live in England. (Supermarkets don't know what they've got - TIP - try Morrisons - they are especially bad...!)
Crusted - not enough experience.
Reserve - I like Graham 6 grapes - its over priced, but nice and fruity. These days I wouldn't buy it because I can get far better port for £12.
10 Year Tawny - Have had Noval, Grahams, Taylors, Dows, Warres. The Warres WAS the nicest but I m not paying THAT much - same price, smaller bottle. So, the Grahams.
20 year - Have had Grahams and Dows. Far preferred the Grahams. The Dows seemed a bit heavy. Not what I want with a Tawny.
30 & 40 year - yet to taste...
Colheita - Calem 1989. Fruity, vibrant, long, could have drunk a case of it. Only had the one bottle though. :( Nieuport 94 came a close second. My cellar contains a Nieuport '90 and this area I really wish to expand my range in.
Vintage - Sao Pedro (95?) It was lovely and I own a bottle. I'm sure that there is better out there, but thats the best I've found so far.

Rising Star - I don't know enough.
Favourite House - Calem for cheap. Yet to have a bad port from them, and that includes their mass produced stuff.
Nieuport - for quality.
Dows - for the memories. Bomfin is an extraordinarily beautiful Qunita.

NB I hope that I've got my name/ location in here. If not will fix.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Mallory,

I am happy to welcome you the FTLOP, especially as we live 12 miles apart and I work in your home town 8)

Your profile isn't quite right as we don't know your full name.

Thanks for posting - keep doing it, you probably know more than you realise and even if you don't it is good fun to chip in with your views and see what reaction comes back. Everyone is friendly here so nothing to worry about if you post something that others disagree with.

Derek
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mallory,

Welcome to the site, glad to see you are a "poster" now and no longer just lurking. I agree with everything Derek has said. Again, welcome!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Duprey
Location: West New York, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

Post by Eric Duprey »

Let's see... personal favorites:

LBV Port: Warre's

Crusted: haven't tried one yet

Reserva (used to be Vintage Character): Ferreira Dona Antonia

10 Year Old Tawny: Andresen Century

20 Year Old Tawny: tie between Sandeman's and Ferreira Duque du Braganca

30 Year Old Tawny: haven't tried one yet

40 Year Old Tawny: the only one I've had was Presidential, but that was quite a while ago.

Colheita: haven't had any recently

Vintage: Warre 1977
Eric
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Let me just say that those of you who will be joining us in October, MUST come back to this thread after the trip and provide your "updated" opinion. You will most likely see a very significant change in your entries before and after.
Mike Kerr
Location: Centreville, Virginia, United States of America - USA

Post by Mike Kerr »

Interesting question...

LBV Port: It would have to be Noval for me. Consistently mellow, fruity, and complex. Then Warres and Fonseca.
10 Year Old Tawny: I actually prefer the Noval for this one as well over the others I've tried.
20 Year Old Tawny: Cockburn's is my choice on this one. I find it's not as sweet as some of the others, but is mellow and reminds me a little of whiskey.
Colheita: I've only had two, but by far the best was the '77 Barbosa.
Vintage: My favourite to this point I think has to be Graham's. Close second is Warres, but I haven't had many producers. I have some in my cellar, but haven't opened em.

Unfortunately haven't had any of the other categories yet.

Mike.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Ok, I've only just noticed this thread..

I'm very loathe to pronounce on favourites, when I havn't tried so many of the players, and I'm not going to be much good at identfying rising stars when I havn't yet opened a bottle of VP that's younger than a '96!

However, to add one small :twocents: to this debate, I would say never underestimate the merits of some of the less prestigious shippers - Calem, Martinez and Offley have never given me anything but satisfaction - and very good value for money.

Tom
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Just joined the forum a week ago and seeing this now for the first time. Thought I'd take an hour at work pondering my favorites....hmmmm....

LBV Port: 94 Noval--makes me ready for the 94 VP's to mature!

Crusted: only have had Dow's

Reserva (used to be Vintage Character): Graham's 6G's/Bin 27

10 Year Old Tawny: 1) Nieport-consistently the best as I find many other 10 yrs are a bit hot upon opening.
20 Year Old Tawny: Kopke & Cockburn then Graham's. My third choice used to be Dow's, but as of the last 5-7 years or so, either the Dow/Graham's blends have changed or my tastes changed more to the Graham's.
30 Year Old Tawny: Ramos Pinto then Dow. I'd drink mainly 30 yr tawny if I could afford it.
40 Year Old Tawny: Taylor then Dow then Graham's

Colheita: Usually I really like Kopke; recently though: '63 & '80 Krohn, and '66 Porta Rocha

Vintage:
I love Fonseca, but have only had the younger years and cannot wait for them to mature! 1) '45 Taylor 2) '55 Noval Nacional 3) '55 Fonseca 4)'55 Taylor and I must give props to '85 Graham's as that is my "go to" at home since I have two cases...I mean "had" two cases.

Scott