My reminiscences of our 1st year of the FTLOP

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

My reminiscences of our 1st year of the FTLOP

Post by Roy Hersh »

Finally, July 29th has arrived. :winebath:

One year ago today, it all began with the "official" first post. It seems like a very long time ago, in some ways.

The launching of the website was a personal dream come true. It was inspired by the idea of creating an interactive community instead of spending my life responding to a plethora of poignant and passionate Port questions. After all, now I have you folks to answer questions like:
how long should I decant a bottle of Bin 27 that has been in my dad's cellar since I was 6?
I now have a life again and my daughter remembers that I am her father, and that she was not spawned from my computer. Thank you all.

After meeting (aka "interviewing") a few web designers, I knew that Stewart Todd was the right man for the job. He had a real career and it was not computer related and that was a relief. He actually approached me with a great Port idea (he will ONLY tell that story, if you are on the upcoming trip :twisted: after many glasses of old Vintage Port). That aside, Stewart showed his talent as a creative idea generator and also possessed the computer skills that baffle me. He wanted to learn more about Port, drink great wines ... yada yada and we struck a deal. Today, he is my key advisor on all FTLOP developments.

Without Stewart's ability to incorporate my content and actually make it look good in a very user friendly manner, you would not be reading this post, a year later. We meet frequently to discuss all aspects of the website, newsletter and Forum. Although the modifications to the Forum that have taken place so far are mostly invisible, within a couple of weeks, there are many more significant changes coming to the website and newsletter. Shortly, Stewart will just flip a switch and they'll magically appear! Thanks for your patience ... I trust you will all be rewarded and will graciously accept the bottles of 1963 Nacional that will appear in your mailboxes. Fred, are you on top of that one? :clap:

Today, on this occasion, it is time to reward Stewart with the title of Vice President - Technology Partner (don't worry folks, there are other perqs besides the title 8)). I hope you will bestow like gratitude to Stewart, as although he is not always visible to you, he is VERY involved here on a regular basis, behind the scenes.

I would also like to thank Mario Ferreira who has been a loyal friend for many years and a great partner in our travel business. We have shared lots of Port and travel over the years, come up with a slew of ideas for Port ventures that were 90% dreams and heck, besides my own wife ... there are not that many people that I would choose to be around for a full week at a time! His vast knowledge of the Port trade is impressive and I continue to learn from him. Thanks Mario!

I'd also like to express my appreciation to my loving wife Dorene (and spunky daughter Taylor) while I am at it. For tolerating the hours I spend writing my newsletter, responding to emails, calling Portugal late into the next morning ... not to mention the amount of time moderating and responding to this FORUM ... knowing that it has not been for compensation, but truly FOR THE LOVE OF PORT ... I want her to read it here too: "baby, you're the greatest!"

Now, for the rest of you 10000 Maniacs ... ok, so I have you confused with a rock band? :salute: Make that :type: 400+ Maniacs!
All kidding aside, this is YOUR Forum, your place to hang and have fun and talk about our favorite Portuguese dessert wine topics. It has remained incredibly civil here, over the past 12 months. I have deleted LESS than one handful of posts overall, which amazes me. There have been friendships created between folks within the UK, Canada and USA (and many other locations) and offlines in all 3 countries as well. Yet we have people from more than 50 countries on 6 continents either participating here and/or receiving the newsletter.

Yes, I am very proud that we reached the 8000 post target set in the early daze of this venture and the hopes of having 400 registered members by the end of the year, but the stats really don't mean that much. Ok, I am lying -- I am a stat junkie. Butt and here comes a big one ... together we really have created a cool place, with no pretentiousness, no egomaniacs taking pot shots at each other or worse yet, new members or those just beginning their exploration of Port, Madeira or Douro wines. For that you all deserve another bottle of 1963 Quinta do Noval Nacional. Frederick please ... :thanks:

I have rambled on WAY long enough ... and I still have to get the 16th newsletter to Stewart before heading to bed. Speaking of which, I hereby appologize for missing June's issue. Spending 20-something days between tending to my ill father in NY and then the other half with Mario in further developing this year's UK/USA harvest trip in Portugal ... the newletter did not get started on time. Maybe the answer is to have a "guest" article writer or two ...
(in English Fred -- :beat: ... he knows I care about him and fortunately, I can joke with him! :scholar:). But enough of my lame excuses! :help: The newsletter will be in your mailbox this weekend ... to take your mind off of that '63 that did not show up.

Thanks to YOU, FTLOP treads forward into year 2! My sincere appreciation for all the time you have invested in making this the place to be when it comes to Portuguese dessert wine discussions.
Last edited by Roy Hersh on Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
nicos neocleous

Post by nicos neocleous »

Roy,

Thank you so much for this stunningly informative yet cool site. You weer the inspiration behind my interest in all matters Port (and others, but that is another story!).

CONGRATULATIONS!

Just another modest reader of your site.

Nicos
YOLO
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For about 20 years now, I have held port - especially Vintage Port - as the highest of all the wines I have had the opportunity to drink. To my taste, nothing has the power and the body of a good VP.

If you don't believe me, then try the following experiment (which I did by accident) and drink a couple of glasses of good VP and follow it with a glass of top notch wine (in my case, it was a glass of La Chapelle). The top notch wine tastes weak, watery and insipid.

Give me port any day.

But why am I rambling on like this? Really, its to say that over the last 20 years I have bought lots of books on wine and read the port section of them and I have scoured the internet for information on port, particularly VP. I managed to pick up little bits of information here and there, somewhere being directed to Roy's newsletter.

The newsletter was great. The first "periodical" (you can find weeklies, monthlies or even annuals - why has no-one ever called a newlsetter an "erratic" before? :wink: just kidding Roy) I had ever found that dealt only with my favourite topic.

That led on to the FTLOP website. This site is fantastic. It is a great source of archive material and a brilliant concentration of expertise and experience. Being able to read Roy's notes on a tasting of 200 year old wines and Dave's notes on his first ever offline tasting of LBV's with friends all in the same place is wonderful.

And what's even better, is that there are still questions that no-one can answer. So much more to learn.

So, in conclusion, I also want to thank Roy, Stewart (VP-TP) and all those on the forum for having made this a very interesting year.

Now for some challenges after the new changes Stewart is about to make - since this is the best Port dedicated site on the internet (at least, as far as I have found) how about offering space to producers so that they can reach an audience of 400+. Perhaps this is something of interest to some of the independent producers.....

But thanks for all the work and enthusiasm, and now I look forward to my bottle of Nacional 1963. When can I expect it to arrive?

Alex
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Good jokes Roy! I did catch up a bit lately on this post. All that I can say is "Merci mon ami" for opening my eyes so widely on the Port at large. 4 years ago when I first started to read your texts on wine lovers page, you gave me access to the gold mine the Port enthusiast in me was just waiting for.

I think it is because of you that today I have pleasure writing tasting notes and writing small article about port and other region of wine. I also owe you a lot for many contacts you gave me in Portugal and to get cheap bottles in the USA through your market place forum.

Now after all your hard work, if I can, along with others take some time to answer questions on this forum and write tasting notes to put contents on your forum, it is my pleasure, you really deserve it!

About the Nacional 63, I can bet you that in the time we are in the Douro this fall, a few will pop. Big names will come and visit the Quinta in the first 2 weeks of October, lets get invited :lol:

Congratulations to both you and Stewart. Still you did not tell us about the wine you've open to celebrate!

P.S. Roy has a good French, he often writes to me some words in French :lol:
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Merci mon amis, (a few French words to humor Fred)

Tout les jour, j'ai un tasse de Port. Abientot!

Roy

Now, back to reality. Thank you guys for the very nice comments. They are truly appreciated!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com