Port Forum or Port Basics

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Richard Henderson

Post by Richard Henderson »

As the FTLOP board has evolved,I am having a more and more difficult time discerning a port forum v. port basics topic. ( and I probably should have capitalized that) .For instance, the drought in the Douro seems like a port forum topic but it is in the port basics area. The video on how to graft vines seems like a port basic issue but it is in the port forum. I don't think it really matters at all but the lines between the two forums seem to be blurred. [shrug.gif]
Which casues me to ponder in which forum this topic should be. [foilhat.gif]
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Port Forum or Port Basics

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote: Which casues me to ponder in which forum this topic should be. [foilhat.gif]
It really depends on how much Port you've had before posting [kez_11.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I think Port Basics should be a place where new members can feel safe in posting questions that more experienced Portophiles would consider to be "basic". IMHO, the placement of questions by Roy and other people of obvious experience is likely to dissuade new members of less experience from posting in that area, or anywhere else.

By example, I think the following would be appropriate:

Roy/Andy/Al B/Eric/Glenn…Me (with many others included) who want to post a new thread to discuss a particular style of port should post it in the Port Forum.

A new member with very little experience of Port who wants to ask a similar question should, by way of the description and general content of the forum area, be encouraged to post that question in Port Basics.

Just my :twocents:
Richard Henderson

So Derek, does a port newbie need to have as basic information the drought in the Douro? That does seem a port forum topic. With all due respect, the lines are blurred and make no sense in the final analysis.--But ponder the first four letters of the word analysis. [help.gif]
Richard Henderson
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Richard Henderson wrote:So Derek, does a port newbie need to have as basic information the drought in the Douro? That does seem a port forum topic.
Agreed. That is a topic that should be in the main forum, as should about 80% of the other threads on the first page in Port Basics.

I think the descriptions of each forum say it all..
Port Forum
This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Port Basics
This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!
Emphasis added by me.

One forum for discussing anything to do with port and one being a safe place for people new to port to ask basic questions and feel safe in doing so.

That doesn't seem like a blurred line to me.

:twocents:
Richard Henderson

Agreed that the descriptions of each forum "should" say it all but do not. For instance, after all these years ,the port forum description says it is for many things "port" including "tasting notes" yet tasting notes are not archived there. Indeed, any tasting notes are moved to the tasting notes section. With all due and past due and more respect to Roy and Andy, the descriptions of each forum should be revised and made more accurate. [foilhat.gif]
Richard Henderson
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Richard Henderson wrote:Agreed that the descriptions of each forum "should" say it all but do not. For instance, after all these years ,the port forum description says it is for many things "port" including "tasting notes" yet tasting notes are not archived there. Indeed, any tasting notes are moved to the tasting notes section. With all due and past due and more respect to Roy and Andy, the descriptions of each forum should be revised and made more accurate. [foilhat.gif]
When Roy and I are back in town I promise we'll discuss this. Until then post away my Port loving friends :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Andy Velebil wrote:When Roy and I are back in town I promise we'll discuss this. Until then post away my Port loving friends :)
But where? :beat:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:When Roy and I are back in town I promise we'll discuss this. Until then post away my Port loving friends :)
But where? :beat:
Preferably here on FTLOP :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Such a dilemma. :winebath:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com