Wine and Port sale until June 15th

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Frank Carrano

Wine and Port sale until June 15th

Post by Frank Carrano »

I just got an email that wineconsigners.com is adding an extra 15% off all of their wine and port until June 15th. They've got a wide variety of port of various ages available. Just thought I'd pass it along.
Eric Menchen

Re: Wine and Port sale until June 15th

Post by Eric Menchen »

I've never bought from them and would be interested to hear from someone who has. There are some very attractive prices there. Be warned that some of the colheitas have been in bottle for a good while. Also, anyone find out how much they want for the 1994 QdNoval Nacional?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've bought from them before, once. It was a painful experience to say the least. Their shipping prices are outrageous even when they mandated I ship from their shop to my house, about 25 miles away. As mentioned, most of their Tawny Ports were bottled a long time ago and current pictures may not be what the bottle looks like. They sent me a pic of an old Port and the new picture showed the bottle in WAY worse condition than the one on-line. I have no desire to buy from them again.

Do your homework first and buyer beware :scholar:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I too have purchased from them and it turned out to be a pretty ugly experience. Between the sky high shipping charges, recorked bottles and lack of customer service...I'd think twice about giving them ANY business.
Frank Carrano

Post by Frank Carrano »

Well, I've only bought from them twice--once in 2008 and once in 2009. The process was a bit sluggish and I had to request photos of the actual bottles with detail, but they did provide the photos and the bottles I got were the ones photorapher, and the ones opened have this far been fine (I bought 24 bottles of port between 1960 and 1997). I haven't opened the majority of bottles yet, so I could certainly be in for a rude awakening :)

Anyways, sounds like others have had poor buying experiences so as always, caveat emptor.

I'm waiting to hear on the 95 nacional price and im trying to order some wine from the same (Grange and a few bottles of Italian). We shall see if I end up taking a bath on these...
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

My experiences were also negative, i.e. an older bottle that was not disclosed as recorked and turned out to be downright putrid, and outrageous shipping charges. Also, telephone conversations with their people did not indicate a very high degree of knowledge about wine or its proper handling. Too bad, they always have some tempting stuff at nice prices.
Tom D.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have purchased from them many times and have never had a problem. (I know of at least 2 others who have had similar experiences.) All of my purchases have been in the last 3-4 years. It is my understanding that they went through a change of management 3-4 years ago and have been working very hard to improve their image.

Shipping costs are a bit high, but spelled out clearly on the web site. They are happy to answer questions about bottles and/or send pictures. They can't answer a question that you don't ask, though!

Yes, though, a lot of their Colheitas have significant bottle age on them. I would not buy a Colheita from them without asking that question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

After browsing what they had available, I just ordered the 1987 Malvedos and 5 x 1983 Graham.

Lots of other things I wanted, but I don't have the budget right now. Then again, if they can really get what they're asking for a magnum of 1994 Taylor maybe I should sell the two I have and use the proceeds to buy more Port! :lol: [foilhat.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Glenn E. wrote: They can't answer a question that you don't ask, though!
In my experience, they couldn't answer the questions I did ask, either. Hopefully the change of management has turned things around.

I never quite understood the whole "auction" format of their retail list. They apparently did auctions once upon a time, or planned to, but I've never actually seen one in progress there. Anyone ever bid in their auctions?
Tom D.