2012 FTLOP Anniversary Party

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2012 FTLOP Anniversary Party

Post by Roy Hersh »

Time is getting close to our annual end of July bash! :winepour:

Plans are being worked up, but one of the tastings is likely going to be a vertical of a dozen bottles of Churchill's VPs and SQVP's from my cellar. I have to look at exactly what I own, but am pretty sure I have most vintages between 1982 and 1997. WIll have to confirm this and anyone who would like to bring a bottle to fit in the vertical, that would be very much appreciated.

Our second theme for the weekend would be a 20 year retrospective tasting of the 1992 vintage. I have at least a half dozen Ports to contribute to that theme too, but it would be nice to have a more elaborate horizontal tasting. That one, I actually know off the top of my head: I have Vesuvio, Niepoort, Cockburn's Canais, Warre, Taylor, Fonseca, Infantado. Want to add to the mix?

Events will be held on Sat. and Sun. July 28th and 29th, for any/all FTLOP newsletter subscribers who would like to attend the party in the Pacific NW. [welcome.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: 2012 FTLOP Anniversary Party

Post by Eric Ifune »

Damn it, working again that weekend back east.
Missed the Niepoort tastings and now this. This work thing is really getting me down! [dash1.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I have a 1985 Churchill that I can contribute to take some load off of your cellar.

My only 1992 is a Taylor that goes with my second set of the "Top 12" bottles, which will be opened together at a later date. :wink: A quick search on winesearcher reveals many possibilities to expand the lineup, so I'll contact you via email to work out which ones!
Glenn Elliott
Phyllis D

Post by Phyllis D »

I'll be putting this on the calendar for Carl & me. The big debate will be drive Vs fly. :?:

Since we have never come across a Churchill, we will have to be on the lookout for some nice 92 VP that isn't on your list yet.
- Life is too short to drink bad Port
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I may be able to so long as work cooperates. Which considering yesterday my fine city has decided to look into disbanding my department and contracting with the Sheriff's Department I may have plenty of time off. [help.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I will have to miss this. [shok.gif] I'll have to live vicariously through the TNs! [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I may be able to so long as work cooperates. Which considering yesterday my fine city has decided to look into disbanding my department and contracting with the Sheriff's Department I may have plenty of time off. [help.gif]
On the other hand, the Sheriff's Department may be hiring soon. :wink: [beg.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am very sorry that the dates that :ftlop: 's Anniversary falls out on this year, doesn't work for some of our regular attendees. :( Due to my committments for the un-FAIR, I can not change the dates to be more accomodating, as I would normally be happy to do. [shrug.gif]

Here is the list of attendees so far:

1. Roy
2. Glenn
3. Blair
4. Bronwyn
5. Sandy
6. Ruth
7. Lisa (Sun. only)
8. Vic (Sun. only)
9. Paul
10. Anita
11. Carl D.
12. Phyllis D.

There will be two tastings during the weekend. I am committing to opening 19 bottles of VP and paying the room charge for Saturday and Sunday's event.
It would be greatly appreciated if the other participants each brought one bottle/per event ... and expand the lineups listed below. I'll keep this post and update it here, the people attending and the Ports for each day.

Saturday (July 28th) @ 6 p.m. Issaquah Holiday Inn, we will do a 20 Year Retrospective horizontal tasting of 1992 Vintage Ports. So far we have the following Ports committed:

1. 1992 Cockburn's Canais - (Roy)
2. 1992 Fonseca - (Roy)
3. 1992 Niepoort - (Roy)
4. 1992 Quinta do Infantado - (Roy)
5. 1992 Taylor - (Roy)
6. 1992 Vesuvio - (Roy)
7. 1992 Warre - (Roy)
8. 1992 Quinta do Passadouro (Glenn)
9. 1992 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim (Sandy)
10. 1992 Ringer
11. Kopke - (Paul)
12. Smith Woodhouse - (Carl D.)
13. Delaforce (Phyllis D.)
14. Quinta de la Rosa - (Carl D.)

On Sunday - venue TBD depending on the final number of participants ... we will embark on a fun and unique exploration of Churchill's VP's including Fojo and Agua Alta SQVPs ... I hope someone can bring the 1999 "Gricha" too. There are a bunch of vintages that would fill in the gaps nicely. For example: 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1999 come to mind ... but there are others that would be appreciated too!

Here is the lineup so far:

1. 1982 Churchill's VP - (Roy)
2. 1984 Churchill's Fojo SQVP - (Roy)
3. 1985 Churchill's VP - (Roy)
4. 1986 Churchill's Fojo SQVP - (Roy)
5. 1990 Churchill's Agua Alta SQVP - (Roy)
6. 1991 Churchill's VP - (Glenn)
7. 1992 Churchill's Agua Alta SQVP - (Roy)
8. 1994 Churchill's VP - (Roy)
9. 1995 Churchill's Agua Alta SQVP - (Roy)
10. 1996 Churchill's Agua Alta SQVP - (Roy)
11. 1997 Churchill's VP - (Roy)
12. 1998 Churchill's Agua Alta SQVP - (Roy)
13. 1999 Churchill's Quinta da Gricha SQVP - (Ruth)
14. 2000 Churchill's VP - (Roy)
15. 2000 Churchill's Quinta da Gricha SQVP - (Lisa)
16. 2001 Churchill's Quinta da Gricha SQVP - (Vic)
17. 2003 Churchill's VP - (Phyllis D.)

P.S. Locals will do our very best to provide housing accomodations for those coming from out of town. [welcome.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote: Saturday (July 28th) @ 6 p.m. Issaquah Holiday Inn, we will do a 20 Year Retrospective horizontal tasting of 1992 Vintage Ports. So far we have the following Ports committed:
It looks like I can get a '92 Smith Woodhouse or '92 Kopke VP. Do either of those fit the bill?
Roy Hersh wrote: ... I hope someone can bring the 1999 "Gricha" too. There are a bunch of vintages that would fill in the gaps nicely. For example: 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1999 come to mind ... but there are others that would be appreciated too!
I can get the 1999 Gricha - happy to bring that.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Those all fit well, thanks. Let me know which you purchase. The 1991 Churchill's also is affordable and would fit v. nicely in the vertical.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I picked up a 1991 Churchill and a 1992 Quinta do Passadouro. I hope those will work!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn,

Thank you for finding those, which will be great additions to both tasting! Do you want to reach out to L & V?
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:I picked up a 1991 Churchill and a 1992 Quinta do Passadouro. I hope those will work!
Glenn - did you find those locally, and if so, were there others that you could've gotten as well? We're having a hard time finding anything locally and with the extreme heat across the entire continent this time of year, even shipping priority overnight is risky (not to mention extremely expensive). If there are others you can find locally, we're open to sponsor them!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Things are starting to fill out nicely. Thanks to all who are participating and keep up the hunt.

Carl, we have a LOT less heat here in WA, so you may want to consider having your bottles shipped here to Glenn's. Just a thought.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Carl, no I had to order them. I haven't been out shopping local B&Ms for Port lately, so can't really say what may or may not be available here.

Roy, sure I'll drop them an email.
Glenn Elliott
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Vic and I are having a party at our house on Saturday, but we would love to come for the Sunday tasting.

-Lisa
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:Carl, no I had to order them. I haven't been out shopping local B&Ms for Port lately, so can't really say what may or may not be available here.
After posting, I'd guessed that was the case, as one of the Ports I'd found on line was suddenly unavailable - the 1991 Churchill. Guess I should've just ordered it when I found it originally! [dash1.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hey Lisa,

Glad to hear you can both make it for Sunday. [yahoo.gif] See you soon!

Carl,

You have to be quick on the trigger when you KNOW others are on the same hunt. :scholar:
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote: Carl, You have to be quick on the trigger when you KNOW others are on the same hunt. :scholar:
I just hope those bottles shipped from NY and FL make it to the party unscathed by their journey! I was trying to be cautious and not buy a bottle from the other side of the continent until after I'd exhausted the more local options (the three bottles we've obtained all came from the SF bay area).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

As much as I want to come up, looks like it isn't going to happen. I'll miss seeing you all, but I know you'll have a fantastic time.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com