20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John M.

20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting

Post by John M. »

Starting a new thread to clear this up and get rolling with this (the original thread is here: http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/ ... =1&t=14451)

After talking this out with Glenn and Andy and volunteering to lead the charge on this FTLOP Tasting we came up with the following:

The best way to facilitate this tasting is to get a Core Three and people can add additional bottles for the 20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting as needed (we tried to nominate ones people could easily obtain in the USA, apologies to our other FTLOPers not in the USA--but please join us if you can). In this manner small groups can participate and larger ones can go larger--but we also keep some consistency making the result more meaningful. It would be great to get as many groups as possible and with a 3 minimum, a group as small as 3 or 4 could do a tasting. Also, I have volunteered to tabulate the results and if desired do a write up/article reporting the findings.

Here are the Core Three as per Glenn:

1. Ramos Pinto Quinta do Bom Retiro (if you cannot find sub in Taylor or Noval)
2. Ferreira
3. Sandeman

If including a 4th, strongly suggest the Niepoort, but it's up to you.

The tasting date is October

I trust you find this plan acceptable; just trying to put it together in a cohesive manner and include as many as possible :thanks:

Are you in? Let us know.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 20-Year Tawny Horizontal Tasting

Post by Glenn E. »

Just to make it official, I'll be holding a tasting in the Seattle area!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

We'll be holding one in the Sacramento area. Whether we conform to the newly proposed format remains to be seen (but I think that by default we will, since we already have all of those 20's and more).
John M.

Post by John M. »

The NJ Port Club will try to stick to the original 6 as much as possible--although I did find a source for J.H. Andresen that is close by (Elizabeth). Wish I could find Ferreira close by and I will include that one.
Any Port in a storm!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Love it; sounds great John, thank you for organizing. Glenn, I would be happy to attend your Sammamish event. [imnewhere.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

So far we have 3 dedicated groups participating (El Dorado, CA, Samammish WA and New Jersey).

It would be great to have more--we need more. In the format suggested, you could be as small as 2 or 3 people and still do the tasting--and expand as needed. Who is in? [help.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

For some reason, I had it in my mind that we were going to be holding a world-wide 20 year old tawny tasting as one of our contributions to world port day early next year.

Was I just imagining this or have plans changed while I've been busy?
John M.

Post by John M. »

Hi Al:

It's been October for quite awhile (the Port Day 2.0 was proposed, but October became the date). Can you put together a group and join us??

John [friends.gif]
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

Any suggestions as to how long would you open these/decant before tasting--it's a group so it will be one shot?

Niepoort
Taylor
Sandeman
Ferreira
Quinta do Noval
Ramos Pinto Bom Retiro
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John M. wrote:Any suggestions as to how long would you open these/decant before tasting--it's a group so it will be one shot?

Niepoort
Taylor
Sandeman
Ferreira
Quinta do Noval
Ramos Pinto Bom Retiro
I'd just pop and pour all of them at the same time.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Trying to get some people in the L.A. area to take part. If anyone is around the Los Angeles / Orange County area let me know.

As for dates I'm open for the 13 and 19-20. So let me know if you can make it (or not) and what day works best for you. As soon as I hear from the majority of people I'll decide on a day.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

John M. wrote:Any suggestions as to how long would you open these/decant before tasting--it's a group so it will be one shot?

Niepoort
Taylor
Sandeman
Ferreira
Quinta do Noval
Ramos Pinto Bom Retiro

Then Andy Wrote:

I'd just pop and pour all of them at the same time.
OK--thanks. Just asking because there was a recent TN that suggested the Niepoort 20 Year Tawny showed best after 2 days. My inclination was to open then in the morning or at noon the day of the event just to let the "steam blow off" a little.
Any Port in a storm!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

The UK contingent had a tasting this evening and decided to join in on the 20-YT event. We will report back soon on what we will be drinking [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:The UK contingent had a tasting this evening and decided to join in on the 20-YT event. We will report back soon on what we will be drinking [cheers.gif]
:shock: I am so proud of my UK brothers, they are finally drinking Tawny's [friends.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote:The UK contingent had a tasting this evening and decided to join in on the 20-YT event. We will report back soon on what we will be drinking [cheers.gif]
:shock: I am so proud of my UK brothers, they are finally drinking Tawny's [friends.gif]
We have heard that tawny port can be drunk as a palate primer before starting the vintage port.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
We have heard that tawny port can be drunk as a palate primer before starting the vintage port.
:beat: No No No [dash1.gif] :lol: :lol:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

The tasting at my place is set for Saturday October 20, 2012. If you would like to join us in the Los Angeles/Orange County area let me know and I'll send you the details.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

The Sammamish version of the event will be Saturday, October 27th at my house. Unless it expands beyond 10 people, in which case we'll have to find an alternate venue. If you'd like to join Roy and I for this tasting, send me a PM or an email and I'll save you a spot!
Glenn Elliott
John M.

Post by John M. »

Our tasting is set of October 19th--we've got a full house with 13 expected attendees. We've got 6 Tawnies (close to the the basic list first envisioned by Carl & Phyllis)--might add a 7th. So far there's at least 6 groups on board including one in the UK!!
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

The Ramos Pinto 20-yr olds that I ordered for the tasting have already arrived, and they're the old-style label. I like that label better, to be honest, so I'm glad that's what I got!
Glenn Elliott