1979 Warre's Traditional Late Bottled Vintage 1984

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Michael Ferrier

1979 Warre's Traditional Late Bottled Vintage 1984

Post by Michael Ferrier »

A local wine merchant has a few bottles of this in his oddments list at £21.50 ($34). It seems a reasonable price for a well aged LBV. I've read Andy's tasting note from three years ago and wondered whether anyone has had this more recently or would have any views on its drinkability or price.
Moses Botbol

Re: 1979 Warre's Traditional Late Bottled Vintage 1984

Post by Moses Botbol »

Sounds like a no-brainer at that price.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I don't recall having had the 1979 Warre LBV recently, but I have drunk and thoroughly enjoyed the 1974 vintage several times over the last couple of years. And that's a very fair price.

Let us know what you decide.
Alex Marshall

Post by Alex Marshall »

I am quite local to Colchester, which merchant is this? Do let us know how it tastes.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, please do share your impressions!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sorry, I can't help. That was the last time I tried it.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Michael Ferrier

I've bought the 7 bottles they (Lay & Wheeler) have (at least I think I have as their website still shows 7 bottles available). L&W no longer have a physical presence so delivery charges for this number of bottles are rather expensive. So I've put them with my other wines held in storage by L&W and will withdraw them nearer Christmas when I withdraw some wines for winter drinking.
I'll write a tasting note when I open the first one.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

A couple of us (Al B. and I) got in there with a couple of bottles each from the same L&W stash before you purchased the rest of the case.

Here's my note from drinking one of these just now with the eminent port aficionado Wolfgang Starz - and wishing i bought a couple more!

"Drunk with WS1 @home on 05.10.12

Slightly spiritous brandy nose, but nice lychee fruits. Overall attractive nose.

Impressive colour: darkness of a Symington 83/85, but transparency at rim might give it away in a blind tasting (yeah...right!)

Round and smooth mouthfeel, very chocolatey, a bit of dark cherries with a hint of aniseed late palate

Nicely flavoured finish, but would be considered slightly thin and short for a VP - not particularly substantial. WS1: "too much like a hand through a spiderweb".

Nevertheless, obviously well stored and perfectly mature. Very good QPR. Very nice port, perfect casual drinking and exceeds expectations for £21,50.

RAYC: *** (88 pts)"

NOTE: we drank this over 3 hours after a 1 hour decant (essentially pop and pour). Since the port continued to improve throughout, i'll give my next bottle a good 6 hours in the decanter.
Michael Ferrier

Drank the first of these over the last two nights. Nose a little dull. Surprisingly dark in colour. Very sweet with chocolate dominating. A little one dimensional with not a lot of after taste. Second night had improved with greater complexity. Will try a longer initial decant for the next one.
Overall it was a very drinkable port and utterly moreish. Considering the price it was excellent value. 16/20