Non generally declared vintages ... discussion

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Non generally declared vintages ... discussion

Post by Roy Hersh »

There has not been a Vintage declaration by the majority of companies in the Port trade since 2007.

There were some solid Vintage Ports made in 2008, 2009 and 2010. During that time frame, three years, which is not uncommon and I am wondering for those of you willing to comment, have you bought any 2008-2010 VP's?

I realize that we have lots of people here that love to drink mature Vintage Ports, (nothing wrong with that :scholar: ) but there are new readers here who may be seeking out young VP's to cellar until they are mature ... or drink them somewhat younger ... while they allow their cellars to become more mature.

So what do you think? Are you waiting for the next great vintage to be generally declared?

Although we have many long term Port collectors here, it would be great if we'd all keep an eye towards helping those just coming into the Port realm when considering a response. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Re: Non generally declared vintages ... discussion

Post by Paul Fountain »

I don't have a very old collection at this stage, but nor do I have any single quinta ports past 2005.
One of my problems is availability. I'm doing well if a merchant has any real port at all. Single quinta ports don't turn up all that much, and for the Most part can still be pretty expensive when they do. One of the larger liquor chains here is stocking 2008 Quinta do Canais at roughly $60 a bottle which isn't bad for here, so I will probably pick up a couple of those at some stage. I did get the opportunity to try it and thought it was pretty reasonable, but I'll probably still be patient and give these 20 years. While my port collecting has only been retatively recent, I have a history of being patient with some of my preferred Australian vintage fortified, with a few of my original fortified puchases that I bought on release now over 20 years old. It was really only after I got intereted in port and learning more about it on this site that it occured to me to try one young.
I also get a lot of drinking pleasure for my $ out of LBVs so I tend to use those to keep me occupied while I wait for some of the others to mature.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

For 2008-2010 I have bought only three each of 2009 Taylor, Fonseca, and Warre. Compare that to 40.5 bottles of 2007 currently in my cellar. So yes, I'm generally waiting for the next big declaration. I might buy some Quinta do Vesuvio from the 2008-2010 range if I see it at a good price, and for the right price, anything else is possible.
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

I just got back into port, and I was scared off the 2009s when I saw one store selling them for close to $120 USD last week. I haven't kept an eye out, but that seemed outrageous price for such a young VP. Am I wrong, or should I get used to the sticker shock?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

It's not that I'm waiting for the next big declaration, really, it's that I don't have anywhere to store additional purchases so without a really good reason to buy I just don't bother. And when you can buy already mature 1980s Ports for the same price as a new-release 2011 will probably be offered for...

Plus there's the whole question of "will I still be alive when this is mature?" I'm not that old, but this is Port we're talking about. The 1985s are just hitting their stride for me, so that means I need ~30 years on a major vintage. That'd put me at 77 for the 2011 vintage... so yeah I'll buy some, but I probably won't buy a lot.

Of course I said similar things about the 2007 vintage, and CellarTracker tells me I have 33 bottles on hand. [help.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Glenn E. wrote:Of course I said similar things about the 2007 vintage, and CellarTracker tells me I have 33 bottles on hand. [help.gif]
I know someone with offsite storage in CA that'd be happy to help you store those '07's if they're crowding up your fridges... just sayin' :)
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

There has not been a Vintage declaration by the majority of companies in the Port trade since 2007
True, but an important declaration by a minority of them in 2009, which I have bought into, quite heavily.
Are you waiting for the next great vintage to be generally declared?
The waiting is the strange bit. Towards the end of last year, I got clear indications from Dirk and the Symingtons that a 2011 declaration was on the cards, but so far this year there has been nothing from any of the producers - no hints, no build-up..

..it doesn't feel like last time - perhaps I'm too impatient! [cheers.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Of course I said similar things about the 2007 vintage, and CellarTracker tells me I have 33 bottles on hand. [help.gif]
Looking back, with my 40.5 bottles, I may have overbought the 2007s. However, 8 are Silvals for earlier drinking, so I may be o.k.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy Hersh wrote:I am wondering for those of you willing to comment, have you bought any 2008-2010 VP's?
I bought some of the Warre 2009, principally for sentimental reasons.
Tom Archer wrote:The waiting is the strange bit. Towards the end of last year, I got clear indications from Dirk and the Symingtons that a 2011 declaration was on the cards, but so far this year there has been nothing from any of the producers - no hints, no build-up..

..it doesn't feel like last time - perhaps I'm too impatient! [cheers.gif]
Yes, you are. It's only February.

2011 = general declaration. It's not a big secret. The shippers just need time to get the necessary approvals and then it will happen.

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to the bank we go... [help.gif]
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I'm only buying a few bottles from each of the current vintages - a few meaning anything between 6 and 36. Many of these are intended for relatively early drinking since I have the same issue as Glenn.

So if there are some relatively young port drinkers who are wondering what to buy from the last 3 vintages, this is what I've bought:
2008 - Vesuvio and the fabulous Quevedo
2009 - Vesuvio, Fonseca and halves of Skeffington
2010 - Vesuvio

I like the Vesuvio either really young or with plenty of bottle age. The Skeffington is a great youthful drinker.
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

I look at an upcoming general declaration as a bellwether for the quality of the LBV coming out that year, with intent to purchase the lower priced LBV's and potentially cellar them. An example of a very cellarable LBV from a declared vintage would be Warre's.
Last edited by Kurt Wieneke on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

One can argue that in declared years, the best wine goes into vintage, leaving LBV to be made with whatever is left over. However, given the amount of SQ port made in non declared years by most of the producers, and the relatively small size of declarations these days, Kurt's strategy is not a bad one.

However, don't overlook the potential of crusted ports. The port blenders are seriously restricted by the need to make VP and LBV from the wine of a single harvest. Having sat in on the blending of Quevedo's first crusted last year, I can vouch for the fact that you can blend a wine from multiple vintages that is far superior to any of it's components.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote: However, don't overlook the potential of crusted ports. The port blenders are seriously restricted by the need to make VP and LBV from the wine of a single harvest. Having sat in on the blending of Quevedo's first crusted last year, I can vouch for the fact that you can blend a wine from multiple vintages that is far superior to any of it's components.
Good luck finding Crusted Ports easily here!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

Just checked the IVDP stats...

..the USA bought just eight cases of crusted in 2011 - or one bottle per 3.3 million people

..the UK bought seven thousand cases - one bottle per 745 people - 4,400 times as much per capita
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom Archer wrote:
Just checked the IVDP stats...

..the USA bought just eight cases of crusted in 2011 - or one bottle per 3.3 million people

..the UK bought seven thousand cases - one bottle per 745 people - 4,400 times as much per capita
That's because everything from LBV down is sold super cheap on discount in the UK. They gotta make you pay full price for something :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

only 8 Cases. WOW!

Personally, I think the Crusted Port is over-looked. As Tom said, blending can make a superior wine and it would give our wine-makers some control.
Any Port in a storm!
John M.

Post by John M. »

only 8 Cases. WOW! Makes sense because it is so hard to find. Usually only Dows 2002 or 2003.

Personally, I think the Crusted Port is over-looked. As Tom said, blending can make a superior wine and it would give our wine-makers some control.
Any Port in a storm!