Corked Tawny?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Corked Tawny?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Have you ever had a bottle of tawny that was corked or had TCA?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Corked Tawny?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I assume you mean one that is sealed with a "T" cork? Regardless, yes I have with both a "T" cork and a regular driven cork.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

How would I know? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote:I assume you mean one that is sealed with a "T" cork? Regardless, yes I have with both a "T" cork and a regular driven cork.
Yes, with a T cork.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Years ago I had one (a Warre's Nimrod) that was so slightly corked that it really needed a good bottle side-by-side to be sure of it. Needless to say, I drank it anyway, although Eva preferred the tawny from the "good" bottle. Compared to other ports, and indeed to other wines, it seems to be fairly rare. In my experience, only one among the 278 bottle of tawny (at least that is how many I have recorded on cellar tracker; I'm sure I have drunk more than that) had any indication of TCA.

In other ports it may be closer to one in 20; in other wines, maybe one in 30 or 40.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

TCA is a chemical contaminant produced from chlorine and organic compounds. It can make its way into any wine, and even beer. But given that most tawnies aren't stored as long, Peter's empirical numbers make some sense to me. The more contact time you have with a cork, the greater chance of the wine reaching the contaminant, and more of it.
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Glenn E. wrote:How would I know? :wink:
Very funny...
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:TCA is a chemical contaminant produced from chlorine and organic compounds. It can make its way into any wine, and even beer. But given that most tawnies aren't stored as long, Peter's empirical numbers make some sense to me. The more contact time you have with a cork, the greater chance of the wine reaching the contaminant, and more of it.
Also, if I recall, at least some T stoppers are made of agglomerate cork, or something highly processed like it. That's where you've got all the cork bits smushed together to form with some glue to make a new cork. In Champagne they're very popular, as sparkling sized corks are expensive. I know some wineries back in the finger lakes began using agglomerate corks because apparently the glue cuts down on/prevents TCA. Perhaps the processing to make T stoppers has a similar effect? Maybe the use the same glue?
-Brad

Roel B

Post by Roel B »

I can remember only a single corked bottle - either Dow's or Graham's, about 7 years ago. As far as I can recall, this was a 10yo tawny.

It was sourced from a local liquor store, and I did return it.