Wine apps for mobile devices?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

John F. Newman

Wine apps for mobile devices?

Post by John F. Newman »

Just came across Vivino wine app. Does anyone use an app to track bottles or check other info pre-sale?
Michael T

Re: Wine apps for mobile devices?

Post by Michael T »

John F. Newman wrote:Just came across Vivino wine app. Does anyone use an app to track bottles or check other info pre-sale?
I use a simple app called Wine+ to keep track of my wine and where it is located in the cellar.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

John F. Newman wrote:Just came across Vivino wine app. Does anyone use an app to track bottles or check other info pre-sale?
I use win searcher's iPhone app to check prices when I am out shopping. It works very well.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

On my mobiles (iPhone and iPad) I use cor.kz which accesses the cellartracker.com database. I find it works quite well for simple drinking and buying. Not so good for editing your wines or researching. Someday CT may create an app which matched the capabilities of the main website more exactly. Until then cor.kz works well for me.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I just downloaded cor.kz on my iPhone 5 - cool app! [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the recommendation, Peter.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:I just downloaded cor.kz on my iPhone 5 - cool app! [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the recommendation, Peter.
Have you noticed the little icon at the right end of the search box. Click on it and you can scan the barcode on the bottle. It gets the wine, or at least the winery most of the time unless you have a fairly rare wine.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I hadn't noticed that. Just tried it on a 2004 Langoa Barton. It read the barcode but didn't return any results. Perhaps we have different barcodes in the UK?
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:I hadn't noticed that. Just tried it on a 2004 Langoa Barton. It read the barcode but didn't return any results. Perhaps we have different barcodes in the UK?
I think they are universal. Try a few more. To recover your confidence, try something really common.

The 2004 Langoa Barton is listed in the Cellar Tracker database, but no one has entered a barcode as yet. Cor.kz allows you to say "YES" to save some particular wine with the scanned barcode. Do it and make it easy for the next guy. If the barcode brings up a "no results" then enter what you can (any names on the label) and pick your wine from the results. Once you do, cor.kz will ask: "save this for upc xxxxxxxxxxxx?" and you just say "yes".
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I didn't have a CT account so registered for the free version and tried what you suggested. I can't find any way of adding the barcode number on either the cor.kz app or CT. The app crashed four times in five minutes. I have abandoned the experiment.
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Derek T. wrote:I didn't have a CT account so registered for the free version and tried what you suggested. I can't find any way of adding the barcode number on either the cor.kz app or CT. The app crashed four times in five minutes. I have abandoned the experiment.
Well, both CT and cor.kz work quite well and with no crashes for me (ever), so you might try to determine what is causing the problem. The first thing I would suggest is to get the CT account working properly. Add a few wines and see if it behaves properly. Then try to integrate cor.kz with a working account. It may be that cor.kz can't figure what to do when the linked account has no items in the CT database.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Will do [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cellartracker is working on their own iphone app. It's in beta and only available to paying CT customers so far but should be to all other CT users soon. In the mean time I use cor.kz on my iPhone to link into my CT account. Works quite well. I assume you have to already have a CT account up and running (free version or paid version doesn't matter) before cor.kz will work.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com