Wood aged Ports - specifics

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Wood aged Ports - specifics

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Re: Wood aged Ports - specifics

Post by Derek T. »

I wasn't aware of TVPA until I read this post. A very interesting concept. It s a pity that these two great companies can't join forces to provide similar educational events in the more established Port markets.

Other downloads from the site can be found here: http://www.thevintageportacademy.com/section.php?id=19
John F. Newman

Post by John F. Newman »

I wasn't aware that the size of the barrel is different for tawnies and rubies. I assume that the smaller barrel allows more contact of the wine with the wood?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

John F. Newman wrote:I wasn't aware that the size of the barrel is different for tawnies and rubies. I assume that the smaller barrel allows more contact of the wine with the wood?
Yep, that's pretty much it.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

+1 to what Glenn said.

The diagram in Roy's link didn't mention aged white Port, but I'd presume that to be in the smaller vessels as well (pipes).
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Another +1 to what Glenn said.

I must say, that's a well organized chart that conveys quite a bit of information in a very clear, easy to follow format.
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Eric Menchen wrote:The diagram in Roy's link didn't mention aged white Port, but I'd presume that to be in the smaller vessels as well (pipes).
Or reserve tawnies. Or colheitas. Which are two other reasonably important styles of wood-aged port. Plus persistence with the idea that a 20 year tawny has been aged for the "period indicated". It might be a nice soundbite that fits well into a table, and while you might not expect discussion of "characteristics" and the exact IVDP definition, a basic approximation (blend of younger / older wines with the approximate average age indicated) would be more honest...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well, the category is also known as: "Tawny Port with an indication of age" for that very reason. Excellent point Rob!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com