Decanting recommendation 1992 Taylor VP

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Jay Hack

Decanting recommendation 1992 Taylor VP

Post by Jay Hack »

A friedn of mine wants to open one of his 1992 Taylors, bought on release. Any suggestions opn how to decant.
Thanks Roy
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Decanting recommendation 1992 Taylor VP

Post by Glenn E. »

I'd say 10-12 hours. It's not quite the beast that the 1994 is, but it's still a huge Port. I've also heard from others (but haven't sampled myself) that the 1994s have been behaving... well, strangely lately, so some extra decant time might help them come out of their funk before you start drinking. The 1992 Taylor is close enough to the 1994s that I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the same state.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I don't know. I have had three 1994's in the past six weeks and none showed any signs of being close or not showing at their best. VESUVIO, FERREIRA, DOW.

Besides, it is pretty atypical for wines that are about 20 years to go through a dumb phase. I am not saying it is not possible, but certainly not typically the time frame when these do shut down, imo.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Vachon

Post by John Vachon »

A few years ago I opened a 1/2 bottle. It was more closed up than a full bottle opened 10 years before.