1992 Vesuvio - when?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bill Spohn

1992 Vesuvio - when?

Post by Bill Spohn »

Thinking about opening a bottle of this - been in the cellar since release and have started to wonder if it is getting there at the age of 22 years. I've looked at the tasting notes and it shows well, just wondering if it justifiable infanticide to pop this particular cork now.
Eric Menchen

Re: 1992 Vesuvio - when?

Post by Eric Menchen »

Infantcide? Not quite, but if there are other bottles more at the ready, I'd open them first.

See this late breaking news :-)
http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/ ... 12&t=17325
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Thanks for the advice - the 91 looks like a better bet. Have a whole Vacherin de Mont d'Or that needs an accompaniment!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Vacherin de Mont d'Or? We'll be right up, with 1991, 1992, ... That stuff is gooey gold :-)
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Yeah - it is a bit hard to get but I scored one and while it would be prefect with a white wine, figured it would also pass muster with a Port. Besides, I feel like opening a Port! [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Nobody here will argue with that logic, Bill. I hope your bottle shows brilliantly!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bill Spohn

Post by Bill Spohn »

Hi Roy.

I'd originally intended to open a split of Malvedos but with 8 people that wouldn't go far. In fact we had 9 people when we put paid to that whatever its called 1.8 l. Dow 63 and half of us are from that group (i.e like lots of Port). Have a single of 82 Malvedos somewhere that might work if I can only find it - my Port is on the bottom of my racking, with cases of other things stacked waist high in front of it, so you have to go on an archaelogical dig to find Port - excavate one stack, then move over one and do it again until you find it (or something equivalent).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bill Spohn wrote:Hi Roy.

I'd originally intended to open a split of Malvedos but with 8 people that wouldn't go far. In fact we had 9 people when we put paid to that whatever its called 1.8 l. Dow 63 and half of us are from that group (i.e like lots of Port). Have a single of 82 Malvedos somewhere that might work if I can only find it - my Port is on the bottom of my racking, with cases of other things stacked waist high in front of it, so you have to go on an archaelogical dig to find Port - excavate one stack, then move over one and do it again until you find it (or something equivalent).
Best take out more than one bottle. I hear archeologists get real thirsty after a dig :winepour:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bill,

That's exactly how I protect the Ports I want to keep my hands off in my cellar these days. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

i popped a 92' vesuvio over the holidays and my bottle was quite disjointed.

slightly hot, a weird grapey sensation.

Got much better on day 3 in the decanter
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY