The next great 100 point dessert wine ...

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The next great 100 point dessert wine ...

Post by Roy Hersh »

FWIW:

2011 Alvear Pedro Ximenez de Anada (Half Bottle) -- RP100
RP100: "Alvear’s 2011 Pedro Ximenez de Anada is the most amazing Pedro Ximenez I have ever tasted. It may also be one of the first to be vintage-dated. The grapes were hand-harvested in September, then allowed to dry in the sunshine until they began fermentation, which is ultimately arrested by the addition of spirits. The wine spent six months in large American oak prior to being bottled. It is an amazing effort that looks like molasses. Notes of macerated figs, chocolate and caramelized tropical fruits emerge from this full-bodied, unctuously-textured wine. While sweet, it has enough acidity to balance out its richness. This astonishing 2011 Pedro Ximenez will last as long as any reader of this newsletter."
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Re: The next great 100 point dessert wine ...

Post by Carl D »

I just got an offer for this in my email today - $119 for a 375. Other vintages (e.g. 2008) appear to be selling for $12 - $16 for a 375 - I can't imagine paying 8x the price just because WA gave this one 100 points - or is there something else that differentiates it from older wines with the exact same name?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I can only drink a thimble of PX as it is... Too cloying for me. Would rather have a vintage Oloroso in a 750 ml bottle for that money.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Moses Botbol wrote:I can only drink a thimble of PX as it is... Too cloying for me. Would rather have a vintage Oloroso in a 750 ml bottle for that money.
I agree, I have some PX and I mix it 50/50 with bourbon just to be able to drink it.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Valdespino makes some very nice PX which are very sweet, but not syrupy like many.
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

My experience w PX is v limited but have enjoyed it in v small quantities on its own but also w vanilla ice cream.

EitHer way, the aromas are wonderful and I def will be getting more once my 375 of Alvear 1927 Solera runs out.

Think I am about half way, prob got jet about a year ago...

Believe paid $16, great QPR IMO.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I've had lots of it over the years. My favorite is to pour it over coffee ice cream. But the 1971 Alvear is tough to beat. Nowadays, I typically avoid it, like Moses said, it just is a nice sticky but lacks the requisite acidity to make it nearly as interesting as sweeter styles of Moscatel de Setubal, Tawny Ports and especially Madeira (sticking to PT for comparisons).
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Like others I find the syrup thickness and extreme sweetness hard to swallow in quantity, but I just love the aromas. When I've had it, a small pour lasts a long time as I take many whiffs and few sips.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:Like others I find the syrup thickness and extreme sweetness hard to swallow in quantity, but I just love the aromas. When I've had it, a small pour lasts a long time as I take many whiffs and few sips.
Ditto, on all counts.
-Brad

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I don't really like to drink it for the reasons mentioned, but it sure is good on ice cream! I usually go with vanilla, but I'll have to give coffee a try now too.
Glenn Elliott
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Moses Botbol wrote:I can only drink a thimble of PX as it is... Too cloying for me. Would rather have a vintage Oloroso in a 750 ml bottle for that money.
Has anyone tried mixing the PX with a dry sherry and care to share the results?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Michael T wrote:
Has anyone tried mixing the PX with a dry sherry and care to share the results?
Sounds interesting. Or with Scotch.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have mixed it with Bourbon, just wondering if the dry Sherry would tone down the sweetness some and keep the flavor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

[quoteHas anyone tried mixing the PX with a dry sherry and care to share the results?][/quote]
Well, this is how they make sweeted Oloroso's or Amoroso's. :munch:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I've done something similar with other late harvest wines with much too law acidity. Mixing with some vodka in a fruity martini type concoction can do wonders.
-Brad