The Best Burger

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The Best Burger

Post by Roy Hersh »

Everybody has their favorite place to go. And while In-And-Out Burger in CA and now TX may just be the best of all "fast food" burgers, all types are open for discussion. So where do you go for your burger fix?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: The Best Burger

Post by Glenn E. »

Shake Shack in NYC. There's one right by the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, so we go there every year during the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament. Dunno what I'm going to do next year, though, because the ACPT is moving back to Stamford, CT!

I've never been a fan of In-N-Out, Fatburger, or that ilk. The burgers just don't do it for me.
Glenn Elliott
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

In my wonderful progressive town, I've been mourning the death of the hamburger joint for many years. We used to have several awesome local joints (I fondly remember Nibble Nook and Red & White), but they are long gone, replaced by tofu stores and organic soy milk co-ops (plus the occasional tasteless modern chain burger joint like Red Robin)
[dash1.gif]
Tom D.
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Jury's in Chicago used to be my go to place. It was also the place that really got me into port in the first place, as they had an annual port night that was loads of fun. The owners retired and sold it, and it is no longer.

Oh, a current place, you ask? There are so many places here, I have to say. Kuma's Corner has been the consensus favorite here for some time now, though nobody ever goes there anymore because it's always crowded. :-) Otherwise, it seems like there's a new one opening up every week promising to be the biggest and baddest burger ever. The most recent one I tried was at Au Cheval. I am way behind on these places. I need to get out more.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Red Mill Burger (Interbay) is my favorite of the indies here. For a chain burger, good ole Dick's is pretty darn good locally.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:Shake Shack in NYC.
There's a Shake Shack down the road from me in Chestnut Hill. It's nothing special to me, but the shakes are quite good. We like a place called Wild Willy's which has a few locations. Similar old school style like Shake Shack, but a better over all product IMO. The best burger in Boston may be the Bristol Lounge Burger at the Four Seasons. Very classic and served with truffle fries that are actually good. Eagles Deli (also down the street) is famous burger place featured on "Man vs. Food". In my younger years, my picture made the wall for eating the Godzilla burger, something I hope never to repeat.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Have any of you seen the TV show "Burger Town"? I watched the series a few weeks ago and there were some fine looking burgers all over the US shown on that.
I'm hoping that there will be a second series
I won't bother telling you my local favorites, as it won't mean anything to anybody!
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Glenn E. wrote:Shake Shack in NYC. There's one right by the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, so we go there every year during the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament. Dunno what I'm going to do next year, though, because the ACPT is moving back to Stamford, CT!

I've never been a fan of In-N-Out, Fatburger, or that ilk. The burgers just don't do it for me.
There is a Shake Shack in Westport, CT which is not too far from Stamford.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
John M.

Post by John M. »

For a down & dirty burger...25 Burger's in NJ. Lots of great choices...very retro./old school.
Any Port in a storm!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I'm not a burger guy per se. But I love good french fries. In-n-Out fries I love..freshly made just rocks. Luckily I work in the city where they started and are still located, along with In-n-Out University, so I have plenty of chances to have them. :yumyum:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

Roy, next time you are in SE Michigan, the Sidetrack Tap in Ypsilanti is said (by Esquire Mag) to have one of the 20 best burgers in the US. They are pretty darn good.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

When I need a burger fix, I head over to Plan Check in West Los Angeles. The Counter is also okay, but it does have a bit of a "chain" vibe.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Peter, I will seek it out if I do get back to MI this year.

As for fries, some of the best French Fries that I've had are at Five Guys, while there burgers are fair at best, the fries are fantastic and fresh cut too.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Yeah, I was unpressed by the Five Guys burger. Just too greasy as I recall.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Anyone who finds themselves in Los Angeles looking for a great burger needs to make their way to a place called Father's Office. There is one in Santa Monica and one in Culver City.

It's definitely more of a gourmet burger than a traditional one, but even though I'm more of a traditionalist, this burger melts in your mouth.

The joint itself is also great fun if you like craft beers. Their selection of 30 or 40 or so draft beers is closer to what one might find in Colorado or New England (I find most of Los Angeles bars don't often have the greatest or most interesting or hard to find selections).

Unfortunately, you cannot change anything about the burger (can't say 'hold the cheese' or 'add ketchup') I know it sounds super snobby for something like a burger, but all skepticism will fly out the window once you take a bite. Get it medium rare!

Their sweet potato fries are a perfect complement.

Umami burger is a good one, too, though not as surprisingly savory as Father's Office.

By the way, if you are so compelled, you can buy one of their T-shirts that say, "F. O."