To spit ... or not ... at a large tasting

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

To spit ... or not ... at a large tasting

Post by Roy Hersh »

Having recently taken part in the LBV tasting here locally with others from :ftlop2014: , it was interesting to see how many people were spitting. Maybe it was because we had 16 bottles. Possibly because it was LBV and not old Colheitas or Vintage Ports? I am not sure.

The 3 dump buckets were fairly full at the end of the night.

Do you typically spit at large tastings where the point is more about evaluation than actual drinking pleasure?

I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this ... both novice, intermediate and expert opinions all would be welcome. [friends.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: To spit ... or not ... at a large tasting

Post by Glenn E. »

I usually don't spit because I don't feel that I'm getting the full experience from the Port if I do that, but I often don't finish every glass at a tasting. I limit my alcohol intake that way instead of by spitting.

I always finish the good ones and the old ones. :yumyum:
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Even if the old ones are not the good ones? 8--)
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

I have never spit---not that I'm opposed to it. Just haven't felt I had to and I prefer to drink them and savor.

Most of the tastings I attend the allotment is about 1/2 to 2/3rds of a bottle per person so one can handle that quite well over an evening. But I have been to a couple where the consumption was a bottle or more--so I could be inclined to spit to save my self an embarrassing situation/hangover and also to better enjoy the tasting.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Even if the old ones are not the good ones? 8--)
Yes. :lol:

Pay close attention to the last three words of the Taste paragraph. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I spit frequently, especially young wines.
Anthing ancient, I'll not. In between, depends on the quality of the wine.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I often have to drive after a tasting, so spitting seems a necessity. When required, I still will be selective. If I take three or four sips of a wine, I might spit some, but not all. And yes, if I like it, less spitting. I am perhaps incorrectly biased by my beer judging training that you can better evaluate when swallowing. There are reasons in the beer case that don't apply to wine, but to me I still feel that way even for wine.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Sometimes and sometimes not. depends on how many bottles in the tasting, what type of tasting, etc. For more organized sit down tastings I generally don't spit, as they progress slowly and it really doesn't end up being that much Port consumed in a short time so I stay relatively sober throughout. I will spit the bad or spoiled ones, as what's the point in drinking bad Port.

for walk around tastings or those where time is very limited I usually spit. Same goes for drinking really young bottles where I'm tasting a large amount in a short time period.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Brad Bogdan

Post by Brad Bogdan »

I prefer not to spit, as I agree wine doesn't have the same impression on the finish when spit, but for large tastings, at least some spitting is necessary. At the very least, keeping reasonably sober helps stave off palate fatigue.

I agree with Glenn though, I strive not to spit the old and/or superb. Those bottles deserve better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I only spit young Ports, and only when there are lots of different wines to taste. Spitting fine, mature or semi-mature Port just seems wrong to me. These noble wines don't deserve to go down a drain after spending decades in a bottle waiting to give pleasure.

It annoys me intensely to see fine wine being poured into glasses where their fate is for a mouthful or two to be spat and the rest of the glass poured into the spittoon. That practice seems very disrespectful to the wine, its maker and the others who are tasting the wine.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:
It annoys me intensely to see fine wine being poured into glasses where their fate is for a mouthful or two to be spat and the rest of the glass poured into the spittoon. That practice seems very disrespectful to the wine, its maker and the others who are tasting the wine.
This brings up a good point that annoys me. If you are going to pour and spit the wine out, I have no issues with that. What annoys the crap out of me are people who pour themselves a big glass and then proceed to take one or two small sips and then dump out the rest. For goodness sake, just pour yourself a small sip or two's worth of wine instead of a full glass.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
This brings up a good point that annoys me. If you are going to pour and spit the wine out, I have no issues with that. What annoys the crap out of me are people who pour themselves a big glass and then proceed to take one or two small sips and then dump out the rest. For goodness sake, just pour yourself a small sip or two's worth of wine instead of a full glass.
That's a pet peeve of mine with any wine open, not just tastings. Some friends and family are chief offenders, hence a need to hide the good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Agreed! I will often tell servers at tastings just to give me a small pour. "If I like it, I'll ask for more," I tell them.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

In my opinion, you need to spit if you want to stay focused. Just like if you eat very spicy, very salty or if you spit, you can train your palate to taste in these conditions.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company