Where is beer, wine & spirits consumed in greatest quantity in USA?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Where is beer, wine & spirits consumed in greatest quantity in USA?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: Where is beer, wine & spirits consumed in greatest quantity in USA?

Post by Glenn E. »

Hahahahaha... "binge" drinking is defined as more than 4 (for women) or 5 (for me) drinks in the last month.

I barely drink, and even I'd qualify for that without counting Port tastings. That's just completely out of touch with reality.
Glenn Elliott
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

But which state consumes the most Port ???
Tom D.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Hahahahaha... "binge" drinking is defined as more than 4 (for women) or 5 (for me) drinks in the last month.
I barely drink, and even I'd qualify for that without counting Port tastings. That's just completely out of touch with reality.
I looked in the text and couldn't find an explanation for that, but given all the other data, e.g. N.Dakotans consumes 1 pint per day of beer which would make their binge drinking 100%, I would say that is 4-5 drinks in one day, having happened in the last month. 20% of the people in the state binged at least once in the last month. If you asked if someone had ever had 4 or 5 drinks in one outing, the numbers would be much higher--"Sure, I did that back in college all the time."

From a different story about the same type of statistics, http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... st-beer-3/, a definition from the CDC:
... binge drinking — defined by the CDC for women as consuming four or more drinks, and five or more drinks in the case of men, during a single sitting.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Seems like an odd state (North Dakota) to consume the most beer. Especially given how small the population there is compared to other states. I mean it's ranked the 48th least populated state. The City of Los Angeles alone has around 5 times as many people. What gives?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Seems like an odd state (North Dakota) to consume the most beer. Especially given how small the population there is compared to other states. I mean it's ranked the 48th least populated state. The City of Los Angeles alone has around 5 times as many people. What gives?
I think the rankings were all per capita, so population doesn't come into play.

Besides, what ELSE are you going to do in North Dakota??? :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Hahahahaha... "binge" drinking is defined as more than 4 (for women) or 5 (for me) drinks in the last month.
I looked in the text and couldn't find an explanation for that, but given all the other data, e.g. N.Dakotans consumes 1 pint per day of beer which would make their binge drinking 100%, I would say that is 4-5 drinks in one day, having happened in the last month. 20% of the people in the state binged at least once in the last month. If you asked if someone had ever had 4 or 5 drinks in one outing, the numbers would be much higher--"Sure, I did that back in college all the time."

From a different story about the same type of statistics, http://247wallst.com/special-report/201 ... st-beer-3/, a definition from the CDC:
... binge drinking — defined by the CDC for women as consuming four or more drinks, and five or more drinks in the case of men, during a single sitting.
Yeah that has to be what they meant. Sure was funny to see the charts labeled incorrectly, though.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Besides, what ELSE are you going to do in North Dakota??? :wink:
Drill for oil, make a bunch of money, spend it on beer.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

True. Sorry my bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

I'm a bit surprised that California doesn't drink more beer.

If North Dakota is relatively under-populated and there is a lot of mining there, that tends to skew the demographic towards male blue collar workers so it makes sense that the per capita consumption is higher. We see the same thing with the Northern Territory over here.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Paul Fountain wrote:I'm a bit surprised that California doesn't drink more beer.

If North Dakota is relatively under-populated and there is a lot of mining there, that tends to skew the demographic towards male blue collar workers so it makes sense that the per capita consumption is higher. We see the same thing with the Northern Territory over here.
That's why I was surprised. Cali folk make and drink a lot of beer. There's a rather large home brewing fad that's been going on here for a bit. Those ruff necks really do drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Go to a NFL football game in CA, say the SF 49'ers ... the fans are drinking wine in the stands. What's up with that? :beat:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Go to a NFL football game in CA, say the SF 49'ers ... the fans are drinking wine in the stands. What's up with that? :beat:
We are sophisticated hahahha