Summertime Blues

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Summertime Blues

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am having difficulty this year finding opportunites during the summer months to drink Port. Sure, we had the 9th Anniversary celebration weekend recently, but I've only had two Ports since then. Almost unheard of. Maybe it is the unusually hot weather we've been having this summer? [shrug.gif] Are others also cutting back (unintentionally) on their Port consumption this summer?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Summertime Blues

Post by Eric Ifune »

Not really, but am drinking a higher percentage of Tawny and Colheitas.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

60s & 70s (F) this past week for highs here, so no problem! It did make it into the 80s today.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Eric Menchen wrote:60s & 70s (F) this past week for highs here, so no problem! It did make it into the 80s today.
Never really gets out of the low 70's here, always a good occasion to open some port :-)
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Summertime Blues

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's been really got and super muggy here in LA lately. It's rained *gasp* last night and a little this morning yet was still around 78 degrees last night. I feel like I'm in Florida. We need the all the rain we can get but hopefully this swamp like stuff ends soon. Not ideal Port drinking weather as I've had far more gin and tonics than port of any kind.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

With the extremely hot weather this summer I've been drinking far more beer than Port. That'll change once the weather cools off a bit...
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Marc J. wrote:With the extremely hot weather this summer I've been drinking far more beer than Port. That'll change once the weather cools off a bit...
Yep. I certainly drink a lot less port in Summer, and a lot more beer. I still drink a fair bit of beer in winter, but a lot of that is stouts and porters. We've just had our coldest night of the year so far. I didn't have the opportunity to crack a port though.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Been drinking 10 year D'Oliveira Madeira almost exclusively this summer. Mix in some 10 year tawny too. Have only had a few vintage port older than '77 since May. Have had some of the Souza VP's that were offered on FTLOP but they end up being cellar defenders or pop-n-pours. Haven't had much occasion to open an older vintage for a while [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

I finished up a bottle of Taylor 20-yr old last night by chilling it ever so slightly in the fridge first. I probably didn't cool it below 65 degrees, but since it was 88 outside that felt nice and cool.
Glenn Elliott
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

We've had fewer offlines in London this summer than in the past with almost a month between our last one in July (on the 29th) and our next one in August (26th). That kind of a gap is almost undheard of!

But I have been manfully struggling on. I've been opening my regular bottle of VP each week - but sometimes chilling it slightly if it is really warm outside.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I guess there is no global warming or climate change and therefore, we will all see Port season limited to four months a year by the next decade. :evil: :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, it certainly sounds like the weather has impacted the quantity of Port (from what is normally consumed throughout the rest of the year) and has significantly slowed down this summer.

Mine has nothing to do with that .. but in reality, a lack of time.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

I started bike riding , so the majority of my port finances are spoken for.
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

My consumption has dropped. Trying to cut back on alcohol consumption in general. Making one or two glasses do where it used to be 5 or 6.

I did get a pretty good deal recently on Ferreira 20 at $50 a bottle for a case lot. (Aggressive bargaining by Alan with the local distributor. It's NICE to have a wine-guy on your side.) Got a case for home and split a case for the Gang of Port.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Peter W. Meek wrote:My consumption has dropped. Trying to cut back on alcohol consumption in general. Making one or two glasses do where it used to be 5 or 6.
Quitter :wink: :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

Roy Hersh wrote: Are others also cutting back (unintentionally) on their Port consumption this summer?
Nope; had been happily consuming, and some lovely port on a trip to Porto in June. Sadly however, am currently having to unexpectedly take a large amount of medicine which has forced my consumption to zero, and stopped me from attending current tastings... Grrrrr!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote: Are others also cutting back (unintentionally) on their Port consumption this summer?
Nope; had been happily consuming, and some lovely port on a trip to Porto in June. Sadly however, am currently having to unexpectedly take a large amount of medicine which has forced my consumption to zero, and stopped me from attending current tastings... Grrrrr!
That sucks, hope you get better soon!