Ferreira

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

tastingnote

Ferreira

Post by tastingnote »

Time for an admission of guilt - I have never tried a Ferreira port. I do however, want to! So what should I try and where can I buy it in the UK?

Secondly, I've just started stocking O'Hanlon's Port Stout - anyone had it?

Peter
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Grab their 10 and 20 year old tawny's to start with. They are some of my favorites and the leaders of the class, IMHO.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

1985 Ferreira Vintage is also a generous Port. But the 20 year old Tawny, Ferreira's vaunted Duque de Braganca is worth every penny!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Come to Boston and we'll treat to as much Ferreira as you can handle :twisted:

The LBV is a great value. A touch below Warres & Dow in quality, yet has a distinctive taste that is quite nice.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Peter,

Although my experience of Ferreira is limited, I can truly say that I have never had a VP from Ferreira that I have not enjoyed. So, my advice, if you want a Ferreira VP experience then get the oldest you can find that is reasonably priced and tell us what you think.

Alex

Disclaimer I have only had the 1963, 1980 and 1985
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Someday, I have to transcribe my written tasting notes from 1994 to about 2002. There are lots of 'em but all written on pages that resemble the ones in the back of Suckling's book; so they are much shorter than what is in the FTLOP database. I can't wait until the quality of voice activated computer writing gets more advanced.

My point is, that MANY of the oldest VPs from the early to late 1800s which I have consumed in the aforementioned years, came from Ferreira (mostly ex-cellars). The quality of their old VPs and their ability to drink beautifully at over 100 years old, is simply remarkable.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Although I love their 10/20 yr tawny, I can't recall ever having one of their VP's either. I do have a 1999 LBV in the cellar, but other things keep pushing themselves to the front of the drink line. Must try and drink it this month and see how it is.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Philip Harvey

Post by Philip Harvey »

I recently tried the Ferreira 1982 which I really enjoyed (see tasting note on main forum posted on December 8th 06).

I paid £27 a bottle over the internet from a firm called Vinehaven who are based in Upminster. Their contact number is 01375 891 874. I hadn't dealt with them before but couldn't fault the service.

Looking back, and apart from the fact that the wine was delicious, what really appealed to me about this port was its slightly earthy character which gave the wine some real interest and personality - what the french woudl call a 'gout de terroir'.

I should have bought some more at the time but there's just so much wine out there...
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Phil,
you make an interesting point, that I can certainly sympathise with. It would be lovely to be rich enough to have a well stocked cellar with cases of everything. But the more this Forum heightens my knowledge of Port, I want to try so much more. To narrow your range of experience, by buying cases and half cases, is a luxury beyond me. I think I'll try starting to buy a brace of Port bottles. One to experience and one to put in stock.
Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Alan C wrote:Phil,
I think I'll try starting to buy a brace of Port bottles. One to experience and one to put in stock.
Alan
That's how it all started for me. First I bought single bottles to try as many different wines as I could. Then I started buying 2 or 3 at a time. Then it was 6 pack's and in 2006 I bought 6 cases of 12. You are standing at the top of a slope, Alan - hang on to your willpower, you are going to need it soon :wink:

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:
Alan C wrote:Phil,
I think I'll try starting to buy a brace of Port bottles. One to experience and one to put in stock.
Alan
That's how it all started for me. First I bought single bottles to try as many different wines as I could. Then I started buying 2 or 3 at a time. Then it was 6 pack's and in 2006 I bought 6 cases of 12. You are standing at the top of a slope, Alan - hang on to your willpower, you are going to need it soon :wink:

Derek
Thats how I started too....Alan, it is indeed a steep slope :winebath:
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The trouble with bottles......

... is that they breed..!

..wire coathangers are just as bad - put two in a cupboard, wait a few weeks and - hey presto! - the cupboard's full of them...

Only difference is that as bottles breed, your bank account keeps running on empty...

..funny that.. :( :D

Tom
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Tom's post reminded me of this thread from nearly two years back. I laughed a few times when I re-read the thread so I thought I'd repost it here for everyone.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... ed+bottles

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

So, 18 months ago I had 100 bottles of port and claimed to be drinking 12 VP's per annum - oh how times change :?

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I also try to keep my buying down to a closer level with what I consume. Obviously with wines that need years of aging I will still accumulate more than I drink at this point. But I dont go overboard anymore on my buying for the reasons you stated.
Well that was my quote back then....my have times changed :shock: My stock of Port has more than doubled since then, so much for not going "overboard" anymore :help: :winebath:
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Lumpy consumption

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

My consumption is very lumpy. It’s not a regular predictable so-many-bottles-per-month type of thing, it happens in bursts. Last weekend lightened my collection by twenty-five bottles; but things may be stagnant for the next few months. That makes it harder to estimate a lifetime’s drinking.
Todd Pettinger

Re: Ferreira

Post by Todd Pettinger »

tastingnote wrote:Time for an admission of guilt - I have never tried a Ferreira port. I do however, want to! So what should I try and where can I buy it in the UK?
I can't help you with where you can buy it in the UK, but if you can find some, I recommend it. I tried a Ferreira '97 VP as my very first VP ever recently. It was fantastic!! 8) It could still use another 10 years in the cellar but after significant decanter time it started to play nicely. The older stuff will likely be even better! :D

It it reasonably priced (IMHO) and is a great bit of juice!

Most importantly - let us know what you think of it when you do find and try it!!! 8)

Todd
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

Yeah, I started by buying a nice bottle every now and then. That led to somewhat more frequent purchases to help "fill in" some of the holes. From that I started to buy 2-3 bottles at a time. Now I'm purchasing VP a case at a time......

(yes, its a VERY slippery slope!)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

If calculations serve me right, I am on a pace to try 450-500+ Ports this year. Fortunately I will have to spit a few. Since this is a Ferreira thread, I have put a 1900 Ferreira in my drinking queue and should get to it later next month. The hangman's noose awaits. I might even have to use a pair of Port tongs for this particular bottle.