Port Wine Seminar at the Harvard Business School - Boston US

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Port Wine Seminar at the Harvard Business School - Boston US

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Port Wine Seminar at the Harvard Business School - Boston USA.

On October 26th, 2004, a representative from the Douro and Port Wine Institute [Mário Ferreira] visited the Harvard Business School, in Boston, USA, where treated a sold-out audience from the school's Wine & Cuisine Society to a seminar on port wine. While the audience tasted Ports accompanied with classic pairings such as Stilton, chocolate cake and chocolate-covered strawberries, students were also given a robust primer on production and maturation methods, worldwide port consumption and the right way to pair port wine with food. As they were explained the nuances of the wine which could be inferred from its hues and aromas, the audience sampled a range of ports from a Reserve Ruby to a Single Quinta Vintage to a 20-year Tawny.

Wines tasted were:
» Broadbent, Lot 1 - Auction Reserve.
» Ferreira, LBV 1997
» Taylor Fladgate, Quinta das Vargellas - 1995 Vintage
» Poças, 10 Years Old Tawny
» Ferreira, 20 Years Old Tawny

The Harvard Business School's Wine & Cuisine Society is a student-led organization with more than 350 members who share a love of wine and food. Said the Society's Co-President, Morgan Duke, "We had a great turn out for this Port Wine Seminar-and a long waiting list. A lot of us enjoy a glass of port after dinner, though I doubt any of us knew before this evening when and how a vintage is declared!"
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Lemme guess, was Bartholomew Broadbent involved in this class?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

Roy Hersh wrote:Lemme guess, was Bartholomew Broadbent involved in this class?
YES. Yes .... somehow involved ~~~
For this lecture Bartholomew Broadbent attended my request and donated 3 samples of each of his wines : Lot 1 - Auction Reserve & Ferreira LBV & 20y-Tawny. Total donation from Bartholomew: 9 bottles.
The reason for two FERREIRA wines in a total of five Ports: Well..., please understand for me is always a pleasure to show a Port that bears MY FAMILY NAME (unfortunately is not my Family Business) :lol:
PORTugal, One Country, 800 Years of History, 11 Distinct Regions plus Azores and Madeira, and Thousands of Wines :-)