2005 Decanter World Wine Awards

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

2005 Decanter World Wine Awards

Post by Roy Hersh »

Regional Vintage Port Trophy: Quinta do Vesuvio Vintage 2000

I am very happy to see that this wine was given such an honor. I found it to be one of the great wines of the vintage (just like the 2003) and here was my tasting note when it was just a cask sample in early 2002:

QUINTA do VESUVIO - This is my dark horse of the 2000 vintage and my favorite from the Symington stable to go the distance. This thoroughbred comes from grapes that were 100% foot trodden in lagar (50 people treading for 4 hour shifts) which is not a surprise. 40% of the grape blend came from Touriga Francesa. Quickly gaining on the other top Shippers, Vesuvio has made fantastic VPs in every major vintage of the past decade. The 2000 is a dark purplish-black with full opacity and ultra-ripe aromas of violets and blueberry preserves. Alluring sweet berry and jammy plum fruit that dominate the underlying ripe tannins which are anything but shy. This is one powerful beast with the structure to take it to the finish line. Outstanding palate crushing finish that keeps the fans applauding. Approximately 2,500 cases were produced. Will this surpass the phenomenon that was Vesuvio in 1994, only time will tell! 96-98 points
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steven Kooij

Post by Steven Kooij »

I've tasted the Vesuvio '00 only once, in a horizontal tasting of 50 2000VPs just after release. I was very, very impressed...massive fruit, massive tannins...lovely! (yes, my TNs are brief :roll: )

Roy, do you know which other Ports were submitted? I have not read the report myself. Thanks!
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Here is the link stevie:

http://www.decanter.com/worldwineawards ... search.php

Good to see that the Quinta do Passadouro 2003 Reserva also got an award. That really is an amazing wine!

But: can anyone explain how these decanter awards work? It does seem like there are quite a lot of medals to be won. Are there that many categories? And, if that many medals are awarded, what's the value?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

I juste received my magazine yesterday. From what I have read, the awards are base on quality/value ratio. You have to submit your wines to the contest.

I saw another port from the Quinta do Vesuvio who received a silver medal, produced by Roriz Vinhos... Is this the second label for Vesuvio or grapes Symington are selling when they do not release the Vesuvio port?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fred,

What was the vintage of the wine you saw from Roriz Vinhos? Was this a table wine or a port? I'm asking because I have been lucky enough to pull together a complete vertical of what I think are all the Vesuvio vintages from '89 through to '03. As far as I am aware, they have only missed a vintage declaration in '93 and '02 - were either of these years the wine you saw in the article?

Thanks,

Alex
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Sorry I forgot to mention the Vintage, it was a Vintage Port from 2002.

I have all Vesuvio from 92, I'd like to find the 89-91 at decent price, at the graham's lodge I think the 89 was selling for 140 Euros. :?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Alex, Vesuvio did not make a VP in 1993; only one VP was declared in that year: Quinta das Liceiras (2nd label of Romaneira). I'm not completely sure about 2002, but it could well be that there wasn't a Vesuvio in that year as well. I don't believe Vesuvio has a 2nd label, probably a misprint in the article. I guess they meant the Quinta de Roriz VP.
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Fred,

Berry Brothers (http://www.bbr.com) have the 1991 Vesuvio at £25 per bottle, tax paid, but have only 4 bottles in stock.

Alex
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Wow, I would love to partake in a Vesuvio vertical, as this producer is quickly moving up to the top of my list of favorite producers. Their '00 and '03 have blown me away, along with the '94. I have enjoyed their amazing off vintage efforts like '96 and '99 too! Their packaging in those "foot lockers" which I have a slew of from earlier releases, is da bomb for storing wines on the top shelf in my cellar.

BTW, the Symington's are in a joint venture with the owner of Quinta do Roriz (van Zeller) and the Sym's bring the marketing and distribution tools to the game for Roriz, so it is a very happy fit.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Roy,

I'll file your comment away for future reference. At the moment it would be tough for me to put together a meaningful vertical as I only have 2 bottles of the 1990 and only 3 of the '91 and the '89. But if I can gather more of them then I will think about how to put a vertical Vesuvio tasting together.

Alex
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I have 6 each of the 94 and 96 Vesuvio and have yet to taste any from this house. I have read very good things about Vesuvio, especially from Roy, and wonder whether or not these are best left alone for a few more years. I like my port mature rather than young and it sounds to me that most if not all of the Vesuvio vintages have a few more years to go until they are at their peak. Any views would be appreciated.

Are all Vesuvio bottles sold in those fancy wooden cases? It seems a waste if they are as it can only be adding cost.

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gentlemen,

After reading Ronnie's question about the 2002 Vesuvio, I emailed a friend of mine who also happens to be the Joint Managing Director of the Symington family. Here was his response:

Hi Roy,

We decided not to bottle any 2002 Vesuvio.... quality was good but not really Vintage-worthy because of the rain and unusually high yields on the Touriga Franca.

Roriz on the other hand picked before the rain and made fantastic wines - our 2002 is considered one of the best, and got the overall Port prize from the Revista de Vinhos last year.

Malvedos, Bomfim and Cavadinha all bottled great wines from 2002, for release later on when ready,

Now that we have that answered properly, back to Vesuvio and the vertical tasting. I have had the '94, 2000 and 2003 all within the past year. Of course they are all big and fruit forward wines, but the tannins are not so punishing that they can not be enjoyed now. Heck, I love mature VP as much as the next Brit, but these are impressive when young too and very educational in terms of seeing the raw materials prior to gaining secondary notes. I don't have a lot of the young ones, but do have at least a pair of bottles from the '90-92 vintage, a slew of the '94s, one or two of the '97s and then just 2000 and 2003 in my cellar, so I am happy to donate whatever I can to this gig. Unless you are talking about having more than 18 ppl I don't see any need for multiple bottles of any specific vintage.

That said, would you want to do the Vesuvios in order or mix 'em up and do 'em blind? Just a thought.

I will be back over in March or April at the latest and that would be a great time to do the vertcal. I have mentioned it to one of the Symington's to see if he'd have any interest in showing up. I did not ask him outright, as it was not my place to do so.
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

Thanks fort the clarification on '02 Roy. :)