n/v Churchill White Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Julian D. A. Wiseman

n/v Churchill White Port

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

Seen in a local store for $17+tax was Churchill’s White Porto, bought on a whim and tried after leaving it in the fridge for 90 minutes. Not enjoyed at all. Methanol on the nose, and lots of alcohol on nose and taste. Despite being described on the bottle as having a “dry nutty finish” I thought the finish saccharine and simple, though of reasonable length. No complexity. Avoid.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Julian,

Thanks for the warning.
Do you ever slum it, and drink the White with crushed ice? It 'Dumbs Down' the tasting aspect, but if you like all forms of Port, I personally think its a refreshing change. I'm drinking Tesco's own brand as I post. Not worthy of comment, other than pleasant.

Alan
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Will try it on rocks — good advice, thank you.

Will try it on rocks — good advice, thank you.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

If the ice isn't enough to hide the awful taste try adding tonic 8)

Derek
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

The whites are a mixed bunch -

Last year I was persuaded to try an Offley in VNG and thought it excellent - I even bought a bottle (at overpriced tourist prices...)

Less than an hour later, Taylor made a great thing about their 'Chip Dry' white. It was horrid - really horrid. I don't think I finished the glass..

The problem with whites is finding a time and a place - that Offley bottle is still sitting in my cellar - it's a wine that struggles to find it's place in the social calendar..

Tom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote:If the ice isn't enough to hide the awful taste try adding tonic 8)

Derek
On the Harvest Trip we had numerous dry white Ports with ice, tonic water (apq 50/50% mix) and fresh mint leaves in it. It is very refreshing on a warm day or as an apertiff (I've had godd success at a couple of dinners at my house where this was served for guests as they arrived, and before the real drinking began. I've never had anyone not like it on those occassions, even people who said they hated Port....this changed their minds.

But most dry whites are not that good by themselves.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Andy - that does actually sound very good. I will have to remember that. I have one more bottle of the Taylor's White and it was not one I liked the first time I tried it. This may make it more bearable. (But I like mint - those who do not may not like it as much.)

Todd
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Bonus ingredients

Bonus ingredients.

Tonic:

Mint:

I will report back shortly.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

It’s port

It’s port Jim, but not as we know it.

Pimms is better.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

WHOA Julian!! Think you got enough mint in there?!?! :shock: :shock:

That may be, uhm, a little STRONG.....
Julian D. A. Wiseman

No. I can still taste the white port.

No. I can still taste the white port.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Julian,

as a last resort, take a step back from tonic and mint. Fill a 'tumbler' type glass with ice, and pour in the white port. The ice neutralises the finer points o0f the Port (which your not keen on) but still has a general Port flavour.
Having it as a 'Spritzer' with a hint of mint, is a very individual thing, and doesn't do it for me either. If that doesn't work, I give in, and lob the remainder of the bottle at Next Doors Cat! :D

Alan
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

A port spritzer in a pint glass - that's class 8)
:lol: :lol:
Derek
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alan C wrote:If that doesn't work, I give in, and lob the remainder of the bottle at Next Doors Cat! :D

Alan
Oh Alan, even if it is white port that would still be "port abuse"!!! I am pretty sure they can lock you up and throw away the key for that...
Or at least confiscate all the port in your cellar and ship it overseas!! :lol: :D

Todd
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Does anybody fancy a Fonseca White Port? I've had it for at least five years, probably a good deal longer and can't summon up the courage to open it. It's got to the point where I need a special occasion.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

I would say that if you are opening it up for a special occasion, have a back up plan as well ;)

I have not tried the Fonseca White myself only the Taylor's (which certainly did not blow my skirt up) but I noticed they have just brought in Fonseca White at a store near me. I may go grab one and give it a whirl and let you know! :)

Todd
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

KillerB wrote:Does anybody fancy a Fonseca White Port? I've had it for at least five years, probably a good deal longer and can't summon up the courage to open it. It's got to the point where I need a special occasion.
Not a good one by itself, but used to make the Port-tonic, it works great. Matter of fact, I cannot say I've had a dry white Port that I've liked by itself.

However, Krohn's makes a sweet style white called "Lagrima" that is very good served well chilled. It is around the $11-13 (US) mark, and comes in an old-style short fat bottle.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Andy,

I promise you I had no great hopes for it. I just want somebody to share the experience (probably bad),

Alex
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

KillerB,

When next we meet you bring the Fonseca White and I will bring my Sandeman Clipper White which, I think, is about 30 years old :?

If we remain unimpressed I will use what is left to clean the brake dust off my alloy wheels 8)

Derek
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek Turnbull wrote: If we remain unimpressed I will use what is left to clean the brake dust off my alloy wheels 8)

Derek
Works good on counter tops too :shock: