What port have you been drinking recently?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Ronald Wortel

What port have you been drinking recently?

Post by Ronald Wortel »

I often find myself in the situation that I've drunk a nice (or not so nice) bottle of port, and feel that I have to write something about it here, but just don't feel like making notes. Either because it's not the occasion to do so, or because I just can't be bothered. I'm sure some of you have the same. So, what have you been drinking lately? For me:

- Delaforce LBV 1980: dead as a dodo (and didn't expect otherwise).
- Pocas Director's Choice 2003 VP: very concentrated and tannic. Nice, but somewhat hollow on the midpalate. Not sure about the WS90 rating, but close.
- Croft 1994 VP: Lovely. Reminded me that I need to buy more Croft.
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Ronald,

I'm with you a 100% on that one. I also regret it later when I'm unsure which one I lik and which ones I didn't. To many times I've bought a bottle, tasted it and then remembered I've had it before and thought the same previously. Thats very frustrating when theres so much variety out there. Wish I had someone to blame but myself! :oops:
The '3 daily sippers' Post has my current tipples.

Alan
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Ahhh - the old skool - what are you drinking lately thread.

As far as Port is concerned, the last one was the Noval 10yo Tawny. I made no notes but did start a thread that has drifted to another continent.
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote:I made no notes but did start a thread that has drifted to another continent.
Sorry KillerB - that is my fault (Luc and I took it off-line last night) - profound apologies. :oops: :oops:

Ronald, I have done the same thing (no notes) and like Alan, I find myself staring at the shelf in the local store wondering just which LBV or Ruby that I had been drinking that I found so good...

I have been tipping back the Graham's LBV 2000 (excellent!) and Six Grape (not as excellent but solid) as well as a Taylor 10yr Tawny, which again, had no notes because I do believe EVERYONE in the world has likely tasted Taylor 10 yr. It is a staple and I have several bottles on hand for when I need a quick fix! :)

Todd
Editted for spelling
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

I would encourage everyone to post notes, even on those regular/daily drinkers. It gives newer people, who may not be ready to spend a lot on an expensive bottle of VP, the opportunity to read up on good inexpensive bottles. They dont need to be super detailed notes, like one would post on a VP, but a basic note would be helpful to others. just my :twocents:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Todd - no problems, it was a rubbish attempt at a TN that has managed to survive as a thread due to Canadian interventionist policies.

I did it for the reason that Andy mentions - post on anything and everything that you drink, even if it is a poorly executed TN saying "it was nice with a chocolate Easter Egg".
Scott Anaya

Post by Scott Anaya »

Ramos Pintos 1998 LBV--Really yummy, cleaned my retailer out. Really yummy, easy drinking, and pretty lush tannins for an LBV. (For the record0I did post a TN)

Cockburn 10 yr tawny--okay for a ten year. Only drinking this because I snatched up a half case for $10 a bottle at auction, which is about $12/bottle cheaper (even when shipping is factored in) than I can get any ten year from a retailer in Anchorage.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

KillerB wrote:Todd - no problems, it was a rubbish attempt at a TN that has managed to survive as a thread due to Canadian interventionist policies.
You think the Canadian Interventionist policies are harsh on this forum, just don't let us into your cellars (or EuroCaves)!! :D

-Thanks for the tip on the EuroCaves BTW... I am looking into one of the larger ones for my home until I can get a proper cellar set up (3-5 year timeframe due to budget!)

Todd
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Ronald,

I have been tonight, sipping a Noval Special Reserve, which I must say I do not like (one of few!)

Light ruby, clearing towards the edges
Harsh alcoholic assault on the nose... continues onto the palate where it dominates so much so as to drown pretty much everything else out. Sensory deprivation on this one. (Ohh, it burns!)
Faint aftertaste of mocha with a touch of mint. Almost no traditional "port" tastes (cherries, berries, or even grapes) :shock:
Not a port to my liking... one which I will likely not buy again.

And 50cl with nearly a 75cl pricetag. The sexy bottle unfortunately (as some fear in other threads I have read) 'cover up the shoddy product inside.'

(I may have to re-visit this one with a fresh bottle to be sure it is not just a bad bottle, but that will likely not happen for a while... need to get rid of the sting!)

Ack! Where's my Graham's LBV 2000???

Todd
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

Tonight it's Krohn's 1964 Colheita Branco, very nice but not as nice as the Dalva 52 white Colheita I hoped to compare it to (a little less complex and with a little heat, but then it's 12 years younger).

Recent sweet wines at my house: Niepoort 1999 LBV, Smith-Woodhouse 1992 LBV, Quinta do Crasto 1995 VP, Broadbent 10 yr Malmsey (still open), Warres 20 yr tawny (the regular non-otima), 2004 Marchesi di Gresy Muscato d'Asti "La Serra" (had to look that name up again), and D'yquem 1994...the last two by the glass at a resturant.

Jay
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I just arrived in Mumbai. I came over in Business Class on Jet Airways India and was forced to drink Dom Perignon 1998 and Graham's 20 yr old tawny all the way over 8)

Can't wait for the flight home :D

Derek
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Taylor 10yr Tawny, which again, had no notes because I do believe EVERYONE in the world has likely tasted Taylor 10 yr.
Believe it or not, I haven't tasted the Taylor 10 year tawny and would be interested in a TN - but best to post it as a reply to an earlier TN on the same wine (if there is one).

What have I been drinking recently - actually, I do post a note on everything (portwise) that I drink even if the note is only brief and based on memories rather than notes taken at the time. I would encourage everyone to post notes as often as possible. Even the four word notes from Ronald are potentially useful if I am suddenly faced with the option of a glass of Delaforce 1980 LBV.

And I will ignore Derek since he did not post a tasting note on the Dom Perignon or the Grahams Tawny.

Alex
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

My memories of Taylor 10yo Tawny is that it is hot, dry and not really very nice. I tend to take a pass when I see it nowadays.
dave leach
Location: watchung, New Jersey, United States of America - USA

what port have you been drinking recently?

Post by dave leach »

jay,

how was the sw 1992 lbv? i've been eyeing one in my local wine shop for a couple months now hoping someone would post a tn. enjoyable? did you decant before drinking?

dave
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

KillerB wrote:My memories of Taylor 10yo Tawny is that it is hot, dry and not really very nice. I tend to take a pass when I see it nowadays.
ditto. It is somewhere in my ignore corner, together with the Graham 10yot.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

bridgema wrote:
Taylor 10yr Tawny, which again, had no notes because I do believe EVERYONE in the world has likely tasted Taylor 10 yr.
Believe it or not, I haven't tasted the Taylor 10 year tawny and would be interested in a TN - but best to post it as a reply to an earlier TN on the same wine (if there is one).
Will be done! :D
Raj Patil

Post by Raj Patil »

Interesting how many are drinking LBVs. Just to jump on the LBV bandwagon, we have had the Graham 2000 LBV, the Ramos Pinto 2000 LBV, Noval 20000 LBV and now Gould Campbell LBV in the last few weeks.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Ronald Wortel wrote:
KillerB wrote:My memories of Taylor 10yo Tawny is that it is hot, dry and not really very nice. I tend to take a pass when I see it nowadays.
ditto. It is somewhere in my ignore corner, together with the Graham 10yot.
I have to admit to quite liking the Graham's 10yot, much better though is the standard 'The Tawny', which averages something like 8.65348902 years (approximately) and comes in a cute bottle. Trouble is, Ronald, that you are not such a big lover of Graham's in general (I think), whilst I quite like it. Both of us like Taylor and both agree that their 10yo Tawny is a stinker.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

chalk me up to not being a fan of the Taylors 10 year either.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Ronald Wortel

Post by Ronald Wortel »

It's true that I'm not a big Graham fan, but I happen to like The Tawny quite a bit (just as the Graham 20YOT BTW). I like the dark, aged tones that this port gained from 'forced' ageing at Quinta do Sol in the Douro Valley.