Moet & Chandon

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Al B.

Moet & Chandon

Post by Al B. »

I know this is a port site, but my second (possibly third, after claret but the pricing of the 2005 has totally put me off the cynical exploitation of Bordeaux buyers) is Champagne. Elizabeth and I have just finished sharing a bottle of Moet & Chandon NV that we bought in July 2004 - the last of the cases that we bought and cellared.

I do so much prefer even relatively cheap NV Champagne once it has had the time to develop in the bottle for a couple of years. Shame my next batch was only bought in June 2006, I have a while to wait to open my next bottle.

:(
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Alex,

I'm with you on this but fresh Champagne does have its place. I prefer the rounder tones that it takes on with a bit of bottle-aging but I really like Vintage Champagne with bottle-aging, that's when the bubbly life gets interesting. Try Louis Roederer NV with a bit of bottle age, that's really good,

Alex
I'm telling you - Port is from Portugal.
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Alex,

I have often wondered if Champagne ever gets better with age (I guess it likely does) and what a decent champagne tastes like. I don't believe I have ever had anything "authentic" i.e made from the "Champagne" region. That which I have had has probably been cheap and 'brut' which is not my cup of tea, or very sweet (Martini & Rossi Asti) which I quite like but is essentially soda pop with alcohol in it! :)

What are a couple names of some good, relatively inexpensive champagnes that a guy like me might be able to search for?

Thanks,
Todd
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

I currently have on the shelf in front of me:
Moet & Chandon NV
Nicolas Feuillate
Laurent-Perrier
and
Veuve Clicquot

I can recommend all four of them (plus Bollinger) but my favourite NV Champagne is the Moet.

However, none of these are likely to be cheap in Canada. You really are going to have to emigrate to the UK....
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I have a DP '80, a Pol Roger '90 and a Mag of Moet cluttering up my fridge - all waiting for a 'special occasion' (and all presents or part of mixed auction lots)

Champagne? I'd rather a decent (still) white any day. It's like playing a lager against Woodforde's Wherry - however good, it can never be better...

IMO !!

Tom
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

Todd,

Real Champagne can be horrible, measly fizzy wine that California would reject, but would still cost you over US$20 per bottle. There are the big names that deserve it, the big names that don't deserve it, small names that deserve acclaim and small names that don't deserve the name 'Champagne'.

Moet et Chandon is one of the great houses but I've never been a big fan of their non-vintage. The Vintage is good stuff and they also make Dom Perignon which is one of the really big guns of Vintage Champagne.

Mumm has been rubbish for years and as inconsistent as rubbish allows but it has suddenly started getting better due to a new wine-maker. Be careful, the old rubbish is still hanging around.

Veuve Clicquot is lovely. The NV is a good medium-bodied Champagne and is ripe for bottle-aging. If you get hold of a Magnum you can keep it for several years and get a very special Champagne at the end of it. Vintage VC is good on release and keeps getting better. The pink is truly lovely. Never had the Grande Dame so won't comment.

Bollinger is one of the heavyweights. Even as a non-vintage it has a full body and complexity that you do not get from other sparkling wines. The vintage Grande Annee is a fabulous beast that nees to be savoured, some people like it young but I prefer it to be aged to at least twelve years.

Louis Roederer is another heavyweight. The NV is my favourite standard NV, the vintage is classically appley. I have not opened my sole bottle of Cristal 1996 but one day I expect it to be the best Champagne that I've had.

Krug Grande Cuvee is something completely different. It is a blend of champagnes from different years that is designed to be consistent but it is the most amazing Champagne that cannot be described simply as "non-vintage".

Good ones to look out for that you should be able to get - Gosset, Pol Roger, Tattinger, anything with the word 'Heidsieck', Perrier-Jouet. All good stuff.

Finding lesser names is going to be what you can find. Post it here and we'll see if we know it.

Alex
Alan C.

Post by Alan C. »

Alex,

thanks for that. I'm at the basic end of Champers, have the occasional Moet, and very,very rarely enjoyed Krug.
So your post was a interesting simple critique of the names I've heard of, and has now inspired me to have a dabble, instead of the 'safe' Moet.

Alan

PS Does anyone feel confident enough to do a Post on similar lines on Cigars? I know all about Cohibas, Romeo y Julieta, Upmans,etc, but a similarly simple critique of the main Cuban Houses would grab my attention.
Alex K.

Post by Alex K. »

I admit to being something of a Champagne tart. I have some Martell in and some Renaudin vintage as well as the bottles of Dom, Cristal and half of Krug GC. I've noticed the stocks depleting so will have to build them back up again. I need a couple of Magnums: let's face it, a Mag of Champagne always goes down well.

Had the Nicolas Feuilatte Vintage 1999 Blanc de Blancs on Tuesday, and it was very nice, slightly sharp with an underlting sweetness I didn't expect. Gave a bottle of the NF Rose to a friend who has just left on Maternity.

For those that are interested, these are both available at Asda for £14 per bottle, a bit of a bargain.
Alex R
Location: LA LA Land, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Alex R »

krug gc my all time favorite or krug rose when i can afford it :drunk: