To me, Love me

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Robert O.

To me, Love me

Post by Robert O. »

First, let me just say if it wasn't for the advice I receive here I'd be completely paralyzed as to what ports I should buy. So, thanks.

I just landed a nice deal that I feel warrants a "to me, love me" gift to myself. While it's true I have blown my port allowance until about the Fall, I think I desrve an exception. Just can't let the wife find out :D

So, here is what I am thinking about. I want to buy one of the following bottles. If you were me, what would you buy? All options are about $150 - $180 usd I kinda of want to drink it in the short term, but would be willing to wait a while for a really great port that needs some cellering, like the 1994 taylors and fonseca.

2 x 1985 Cockburn
2 x 1994 Dow
2 x 1985 Fonseca
1 x 1994 Taylor
1 x 1994 Fonseca
2 x 1977 Grahams
1 x 1970 Taylor
1 x 1963 Warre

Thanks,
Bob
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Without any hesitation I'd take the 85 Fonseca that is drinking amazingling well atm and will hold for many more years. 94 are great yes, but not as twice the pleasure and with the 85 you get the best of both world, hold and drink. Decant it at least 6 hours before starting to drink as this baby needs breathing.

If you'd need a Port for a special occasion that is fully mature and shows you the reward of waiting it is the Taylor 1970.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
SEAN C.
Location: Brooklyn,, New York, United States of America - USA

Post by SEAN C. »

I would take the '85 Fonseca, '63 Warre, or 1970 Taylor...however the '85 Fonseca is not worth $150...maybe $80. So for $150 to $180 the Warre may be the best bet.
Jay Powers
Location: Pacifica, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Jay Powers »

The Cockburn, Dow, '85 Fonseca (although just barely), and maybe the 77 Grahams should not be over US$100. If all of these were approximately the same price, I would go with the 1970 Taylor or the 1963 Warre, both of which should be nce todrink now. The 1970 Taylor will age lots more (but is very drinkable now), and the 63 Warre should be sublime if had from a well kept bottle.

Jay
Marc J.

Post by Marc J. »

I'd say that the '70 Taylor would be my first choice. That selection would be followed by the '63 Warre & the '85 Fonseca. Whatever you decide to choose off that list should be fantastic!
Shawn Denkler

Post by Shawn Denkler »

Bob - I am assuming it is the option that is within the $150-180 range, and each option has one or two bottles; rather than the $150-180 being the bottle price.

When one option gives you two fine bottles, I would take two.

I would take the two bottles of 1985 Fonseca. With the older bottles storage conditons are an issue. The 1985 is young enough to still be excellent even if the storage was not perfect. And you drink the first bottle to see how they are and decide when to drink the second. Give the 85 Fonseca at least six hours in the decanter if you drink it now. It is great now, and you indicated that you would prefer to drink your choice in the short term.

The only other option might be the 1977 Graham which is very nice to drink now. Storage is somewhat of an issue, and I just personally prefer the 1985 Fonseca.

I am a big fan of the 1970 vintage, but when you can have two bottles of the top port of the 1985 vintage, go for it - the 85 Fonseca is superb.

The 1994s are just too young, and with the Fonseca and Taylor you are only getting one bottle.

Have fun!
Shawn Denkler, "Portmaker" Quinta California Cellars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Robert,

If it is a varied source of opinions from a widely knowledgeable group, you have come to the right place. You're already receiving great advice from the crew.

I can tell you that within 48 hours you will receive a newsletter with a great buying guide that I think will fit perfectly with what you are trying to achieve.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Yes Shawn, your assumption is correct. The total price of one or two bottles falls within that range.

Roy, great! I eagerly look forward to the new newsletter. I'll hold off any pruchasing decisions until then.

Bob
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Shawn Denkler wrote:When one option gives you two fine bottles, I would take two.
I tend to agree with Shawn. While you may be passing up on getting one truly GREAT bottle (like the Taylor '70 or the Taylor/Fonseca '94) I would also agree that two bottles of VERY GOOD VP is better that getting one. My :twocents:

Todd
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

Great choice to make!

Personally, I'd go for either two Fonseca 85, which is drinking well but quite young, or the Taylor 70.
Any Port in a Storm
Robert O.

Post by Robert O. »

Well, popular opinion seems to be with Fonseca 1985, and now that Roy has included it in his "12 Must Haves" then I think that is what we will have to go with!

The only question now is should I buy more than two bottles?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Robert, buy all the 85 Fonseca you can afford. Its probably the one of the best examples of a VP from 85 you can get.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com