Ageability of 375ml Bottles?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

R. McNamara

Ageability of 375ml Bottles?

Post by R. McNamara »

Are there general concerns over the agability of Port in 375ml bottles?

I know or lots of people who age Sauternes this way... it seems to me that Port should be even more sturdy.
alec

Post by alec »

No concerns, I guess, but I think that aging port in 750ml is better. I do have some TBAs (Trockenberenauslese - if I spelled it right) that I have aging in 375ml bottles. And I expect they'll be fine. The only thing I suggest is that if you do cellar 375ml bottle you keep better control of the temperature. Because of the smaller format the internal bottle temp will rise and fall more readily than a large bottle format.

--A
Tom Archer

Post by Tom Archer »

I agree with Alec.

While in theory the only difference is a slightly greater exposure to the cork, small bottles are certainly more vulnerable to adverse conditions.

I would suggest ageing half bottles in their cases - snug, dark and out of draughts. In a rack I'd be inclined to give them a sleeve of soft corrugated kraft paper - or bubble wrap.

However, I have to admit that there is not a single half in my cellar. In the Uk it is almost the exclusive preserve of the restaurant trade.

I have no problem consuming a full bottle before it deteriorates - even when I'm on my own!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Half bottles are for .... !

Seriously though, there has been no conclusive proof ever provided that shows that 375s age any differently than 750s. I have been part of a tasting where some rare older bottles of VP from 375 were opened from an impeccable cellar and was truly amazed at how well they had held up. I certainly would have bet against that.

I do not think that anyone would argue that seemingly the biggest difference in aging and bottle size is between a Mag of Port and a 750, if aged in the same cold cellar. But again, there is no scientific study data that proves this conclusively.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com