Mid-tier Range - Madeira Buys

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Mid-tier Range - Madeira Buys

Post by Roy Hersh »

At between $100-$200 per bottle ... where do you put your money in Madeira bottles today?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Good question... we can't drink $600 Madeiras every day.

I think I would probably go with the 1968 D'Oliveira Bual.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

What happened to Peter Reutter and his minions? I have not seen hid nor hare of Reidar or some of the others lately either. A topic like this should have brought out the most ardent Madeira lovers to offer up their personal favorites. Come on guys ... I realize the stuff is rare, but ...
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

but what are good buys in the under $100 category and under $50-60 area.

I'd like to find some that I could buy for more of an everyday type that won't break the bank. Gotta start somewhere and get my Madeira palate trained.

Right now I've enjoyed the
Broadbent 10 yr malmsey
RWC Historic series (all 3)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Todd Pettinger

Post by Todd Pettinger »

Aiyiyiyiee.... Under $50-60??? There are NONE in Edmonton, unless you consider the Duke of Clarence Madeira. Anything with an indication of age hits that "lucky me, I can sell this for a bundle of cash" note with most retailers around here... :sad: This may very well be why I may not get a decent chance of trying any really good Madeiras until my next trip to the US.... but then I blow my entire budget on Port... :oops:

Todd
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

Seek out the 15 year old Borges Malmsey as well as the Henriques & Henriques version of the 15 year old as well. Both fit the price range and deliver what you are looking for.

By the way, there were four bottlings in the RWC Historic Series. This year's release (reported on FTLOP early on by Marco D.) was the New Orleans Terrantez, which although it was in the $70-75 range, was by far the best of the lot (and I liked the Bual and Malmsey!). Fabulous wine and it will be a big part of my TN section in next week's FTLOP newsletter release. I only have two more and don't believe that at this time there are any left. Mannie will have to go back and recreate the blend if possible to have more hit the market in 2008, if he so chooses.

Todd,

Save your money for the 2008 Fortification Tour (instead of the Harvest Tour). You'll get to visit not only Oporto/Gaia and the Douro ... but the island of Madeira. I think this is the greatest of our trips and the buying opportunities on the island (we go places few other No. Americans have ever been to) are truly worth the cost of admission. I may bring two shippers next Spring and load up in Madeira. One example, a well-known ancient Madeira that typically sells for $595 today was selling for the equivalent of $325 on the island.
BUT ... you need to know where to look and what to look for. 8--)
I can help you with both!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

ok, thanks for the rec's
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

What about the Leacock Bual's? There's a 20 year for under $50 that's is wonderful.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Roy, any tentative dates on the 08 Fortification tour? I'd love to get more of that 40 year old Fernandez Verdelho. I hope two shippers are enough! It was a Sophie's choice with only one!
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

Roy Hersh wrote:What happened to Peter Reutter and his minions? I have not seen hid nor hare of Reidar or some of the others lately either. A topic like this should have brought out the most ardent Madeira lovers to offer up their personal favorites. Come on guys ... I realize the stuff is rare, but ...
Well, Roy....
brandnew job and *lots* of work... even though i have to admit that my Madeira budget benefits from this new job :D

Anyway, I think that most 10 and 15 yo wines that sell below the mid-tier range are worth drinking. In my opinion the 10 yo offer the better value, since the 15yo wines are often almost double the price, but not double the value. VJH 10 yo sweet and medium sweet reserve is probably the best offer for me. VJH refuse to tell me whether this is the same as the Broadbent 10 yo, but at least these two wines do come close.
When it comes to vintages I would prefer the 1968 Bual from D'Oliveiras. But other young vintages like the 1963 Leacock Sercial or the ABSL wines are good value too.
The problem of good value in general remains, as long as you do not buy directly on Madeira island. For citizens of the EU it is no problem to take along a few cases, but for US citizens it is difficult.
But there is NO CUSTOMS-PROBLEM WITH MEMORIES, so why not go to Madeira with Roy, taste your way through 50+ excellent vintages (D'Oliveiras, Barbeitos, MWC, H&H) and bring home the two bottles that impressed you the most?
Ah, and bring along your wife and you can make that four bottles :D
Regards
Peter
PS:
Roy,
do you have any dates for the 2008 Madeira tour? I am planning on being there for a week in the first half of 2008, do some shopping and tasting.
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Peter,

You make some excellent points about the 10 vs. 15 year olds, but I know Andy had tried most of the 10s around and have not seen 15 year olds in his TNs from memory.

AFAIK the Broadbent 10 year old Malmsey is not just a slapped on different stenciling. I have had them both but never side-by-side and that is the only way to really know. Neither party here in the USA or in Madeira will give out that kind of info. :roll:

I am hoping to see you before next May, Peter! I am working on 2-3 new Madeira tastings for February-April. One on the E. coast, most likely NYC in Feb. and then at least one more in Apr. in San Francisco. Whether one in March happens in Chicago or another venue is still up in the air.

As to the 2008 Fortification Tour, if all of the current "reservations" take shape and turn into actual guests on the trip ... Mario and I will need to do 2 trips in May. Dates will be released in early November, if not before!

Best regards to you and your family and CONGRATULATIONS on the new position!

Don't be a stranger. By the way, any plans to visit Hans? Please send him my regards.

Roy
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Hi Roy

Have been a bit quiet, and away a few days to Poland. ( Recommend the city of Cracow, one of the most beautyful in the world !! ).

But in this country there is no mid-tier. Only one 15 year, Blandy's 15 year old Malmsey.... Well, will buy it next week and test..... :?
Heather Hathwell
Location: Glendale, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Heather Hathwell »

I agree with you on Krakow, one of my absolute favorites alongside Lisbon. (Sorry Paris, etc.)

Meanwhile, has anyone here enjoyed the 1964 Broadbent Bual? I seem to recall it was in the $60 range and was quite an amazing value. I have a half bottle left and even after a few months it seems as impressive as when first opened. Andy might want to try some and report TN (PM me please on details for this Saturday if you are around and are inclined to meet some strangers.. I happen to have a number of people coming, but only a select few will be specially pulled aside to help polish off some opened bottles that otherwise are due to expire in the next couple months).
It is nearly criminal these sit for so long but I can't drink it all myself and madeira lovers are few and far between! I will do my best to create TN.

Also nice for value is the Broadbent "Old Reserve" Terrantez - about $46 locally.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:
By the way, there were four bottlings in the RWC Historic Series.
I really enjoy the RWC's Boston Bual and can find it locally for $40.00. I compares quite nicely to much more expensive Bual's. Not sure how old it is, but it's probably about 20+ years? It's a Barbeito bottling.

Does anyone know for sure?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Ted D
Location: Durham, New Hampshire, United States of America - USA

Post by Ted D »

From $40 to $195 and recently bought:
I've had these before too

RWC Boston Bual
D'Oliveira Bual Madeira 1968
D'Oliveira Terrantez Madeira 1977
D'Oliveira 'Old Wine' Madeira 1957
Any Port in a Storm
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I recently (a week ago) opened my 2nd bottle of the 1968 in a month's time and can't find a better Madeira at that price. I know you've already had it Ted, but I believe anyone who hasn't and really loves Madeira, needs to grab some of these.