Douro - advice for next weekend?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roel B

Douro - advice for next weekend?

Post by Roel B »

Hi guys,

I'll be in the Douro next weekend (driving in from Porto on Saturday (morning) and leaving monday). We'll be staying at Quinta de la Rosa (sat) and Quinta do Tedo (sun).

Any advice on other quinta's to visit? I would love a good in-depth vertical tasting. Of course, I don't mind getting my hands dirty an lending a hand somewhere isn't an issue. But I am bringing a significant other, so I am on a (albeit long) leash and can't commit to a full day of work :-)

As a huge Niepoort advocate (and fan) I would love to visit Quinta de Napoles and see the facilities there. As far as I understand, that's prior arrangement only? Any other good advice is always welcome.. Dining options, other activities, etc. And I know that Roy's harvest tour is there this week, so we might run into each other!

Thanks!

Roel.
Eric Ifune

Re: Douro - advice for next weekend?

Post by Eric Ifune »

Portal is also nice and has an excellent restaurant. DOC is one of the finest restaurants on the Douro.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

DOC is very close to Tedo.

Castas e Pratos is in Regua in the old train station building. Just ate there last week and the food was not up to par as in the past. The wine list is also no longer as good as it used to be.

Portal is a bit of a drive from Rosa but last I ate there very good. Also a really good place to stay as well.

LBV79 in the heart of Pinhao is also good.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roel B

Post by Roel B »

Andy, Eric,

Thanks for your suggestions! DOC is on my list as a dinner option for sunday. With the bikes that Tedo has available for guests we'll be able to enjoy all the great wine pairings there without worrying about driving back ;-)

Any suggestions on lodges to visit while in Porto? We'll be there just a single day. I have Grahams, Quevedo and RP on my list as being the best to visit. Am I right?

Regards,

Roel.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Avoid Vasconcellos at all costs. Lol

Cockburns is up and running and good. Along with Graham's they have upgraded tastings you can chose from. Worth it

Lunch at the Yeatman hotel (great wine list) or Vinum (Graham's lodge) are both really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I stayed a few days at Tedo last week. You'll love it, a really good place to stay and it's central location makes getting around easy.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So Roel, if you are still around: it would be great to have your thoughts on your visit to the Douro. What did you see, where did you go, any surprises along the way?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roel B

Post by Roel B »

Sorry Roy, should have thought about that myself.

Had lunch at the restaurant at Grahams. Good food, pairings and service. Great view! Will be back. Good tasting there as well, had their vintage and old tawny flights at the Vintage tasting room.

Didn't have a chance to visit many other shippers in Villanova de Gaia. Had someone else with me, so it couldn't be about wine all the time :-)

As for the Douro: stayed at both Quinta de la Rosa and at Tedo.

Rosa is ok, but they really need to buy a new bed for their "traditional suite", that's really not up to 21st century standards :-). Food was so-so. Got to do some treading which was fun. Hospitality was perfect though.

Tedo was top notch in every perspective. Very good accomodation, nice pool. Kay and Vincent are perfect hosts. Vincent had a friend over that brought a bottle of '45 bordeaux and offered us a taste. Over the top, sure, but still very special. You don't get to taste wines that old so often! Kay was so kind to drop us of at DOC.

Had dinner at DOC. Nice! Sitting inside takes away some of the charm however. Will be back again during summertime!

Roel.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Roel.

Good to hear your thoughts. Glad you really enjoyed Tedo, such an excellent quinta in so many ways!

Sounds like you will be back again someday.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roel,
Thanks for letting us know how things went. Glad to hear you had a good time.