cloudy port in my barrell

This section is for those who have basics questions about, or are new to, Port. There are no "dumb" questions here - just those wanting to learn more!

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Trevor Borg

cloudy port in my barrell

Post by Trevor Borg »

is this a problem & if so can it be solved
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: cloudy port in my barrell

Post by Andy Velebil »

Trevor,

I'm not sure I follow you, so can you please clarify. What Port is it, and is it really in a barrel or a bottle? If in bottle, how long has it been in bottle (if you know)? Usually a little cloudiness isn't an issue, but it depends on what it is, where it's stored, and a number of other issues.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Trevor Borg

Post by Trevor Borg »

hi ya..its a port in a 9 litre wooden barrell.....many thanks
Trev
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Trevor Borg wrote:hi ya..its a port in a 9 litre wooden barrell.....many thanks
Trev
What type of Port is it?

I suspect it has thrown sediment and needs to be racked. A barrel does periodically need to be drained and cleaned out to remove that sediment. Otherwise over time more and more sediment builds up and you end up with some bad things happening.

When was the last time the barrel was drained and cleaned?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

Is it pre-phylloxera?
Tom D.
Trevor Borg

Post by Trevor Borg »

hey Andy thanks..it is a white port...& nope the barrell has never been cleaned..will do many thanks..still tastes bloody good don't want to ruin it..for your interest Kays liquer Muscat & Bethanys white Port base with a dash of Kays Tawny..dates back to the 80s...must clean out all my barrells do I start again with new stuff
Trev
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's never been cleaned since the 80's? If so, I'd dump it all out, clean barrel, and start over. The cloudiness may be bacterial in nature at this point. If you're putting in lesser prices ports (Aussie ones I presume??) those are probably filtered, fined, and maybe even cold stabilized as well. It's going to take a lot for them to start throwing sediment, unless in barrel a really long time (I don't know how fast you're drinking through the barrel). So you're probably getting some bacterial issues starting to show up. Regardless, when a barrel gets to the point of being cloudy (excluding a newly produced Port and one that's never been filtered or fined) it's generally going to affect the quality and not in a good way. Dump out, clean and start over fresh.
Trevor Borg

Post by Trevor Borg »

many thanks will do what you suggested ~~~~