What type of Vintage Port do you prefer?

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

What type of Vintage Port do you prefer?

Post by Andy Velebil »

Do you prefer a drier style, similar to a Dow's, or a more sweeter version, such as Graham's or Fonseca? And why?

For me I tend to float somewhere between depending on my mood. But if I could only chose one style I'd probably go with the slightly sweeter type as I tend to lean more toward that profile than the drier profile.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Re: What type of Vintage Port do you prefer?

Post by John M. »

Honestly I don't know---My best VP scores are for the following:

Dows
Grahams
Croft
Fonseca
Gould Campbell
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

The aromatic kind. Seriously, drier or sweeter isn't my first criteria and I don't have a strong preference either way. I want something that has a complexity of flavors and not too much alcohol heat or overwhelming tannins. And I can really get drawn in by aromatics. On a beer scoresheet, aroma is 12 out of 50 points. I readily admit that when enjoying a wine, I value the aromatics disproportionally more than most people.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

As long as it doesn't get into raisin, pineapple or prune notes, I like them both. For younger or wood aged ports, I like them on the drier side. Maybe even with older vintages, I kind of like them on the drier side, but then I'll have a sweeter one and like that just as much... Really comes down the bottle being served than a pre-defined preference...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I've loved Ports of all styles; but if I have to chose, I think I'd go sweeter, richer, and less tannic.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My three favorite producers are Graham, Fonseca, and Vesuvio, so I think that means I prefer the sweeter end of the spectrum. :lol: I'm also fond of both Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse, and GC at least I also typically associate with the sweeter styles.
Glenn Elliott
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

I never did think about preference in terms of sweet or dry - depth, balance, and aromatics are my guideposts but, all things being equal, and if I had to choose, I'd opt for the drier style.

Mahmoud.
Roger L.

Post by Roger L. »

Whilst you may not, strictly speaking, call it a "type", I seem to prefer young Vintage Port.
I've had a few somewhat "older" ports - Martinez '63, Quinta da Roeda '67, Graham's '85, Warre's '85 - which, yes, I've enjoyed.
But I'm not sure I haven't enjoyed some of the more recent offerings, such as those massive 2011s more. I know, I'm supposed to be keeping them - but I'm not going to last long enough for them to get to a decent age and they're just such an amazing drink right now.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Eric Menchen wrote:The aromatic kind. Seriously, drier or sweeter isn't my first criteria and I don't have a strong preference either way. I want something that has a complexity of flavors and not too much alcohol heat or overwhelming tannins. And I can really get drawn in by aromatics. On a beer scoresheet, aroma is 12 out of 50 points. I readily admit that when enjoying a wine, I value the aromatics disproportionally more than most people.
i'm with you on this

i absolutely love aged syrah's because of that.

I weight my personal scores alot heavier on the bouquet as you do. for me the spirits aren't necessarily detracting because sometimes they can give you that very cool spiced XXXX note
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY