March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

This forum is for discussing selling, buying and pricing of Port & Madeira.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Roy Hersh »

FINALLY. [dash1.gif] It is done.

The deal is not only complete, but all logistics have been finalized with the exception of one US Fed Gov't label approval which had to be reworked.

So, I mentioned that the UK was not able to be included. That has been rectified and now the UK is included along with 21 other countries in Europe. I am thrilled I was able to make this happen for our European subscribers. [yahoo.gif]

Two people in countries where the same producer has his wines already ... have sent me price lists of the "best" offers they had seen over the past two years. The pricing in the :ftlop: Subscribers Only offer literally blows them off the table. No joke. Both in the 22 Euro zone countries, PLUS the prices sent for the EU will include VAT, shipping and insurance and still wind up lower than those other prices. And by a wide margin! [cheers.gif]

For the USA, prices do NOT include shipping but let me say that when you see the pricing, you won't care, as you'll never have seen prices like this before! :NotWorthy:

The producer is S. Leonardo, which is Miguel Braga from Quinta do Mourao. There will be a handful of Douro wines going back to 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and a youngster from 2011 ... at staggering prices and some of which I've bought by the case in the past when a FTLOP'er directly imported these. The prices here will be lower than that buy-in a year or two ago and I'm not even considering the insane cost of the Euro which makes this even better than can be imagined. There are also several Vintage Ports, both young and with decent bottle age. And then of course, I've included every one of the great Tawny Ports that S. Leonardo excels in ... and then some.

This offering will be in your hands later in March, by way of the newsletter. So if you have not already subscribed, this truly makes it a no-brainer. No matter how you slice it, your purchase will save your entire cost of the subscription for 12 months. If you buy the more expensive bottlings, it would be easy to save 3, 4 or even 5x (or more!) the cost of a year's subscription. I've been working on this on a very regular basis since November.

Additionally, Miguel will now have a great US importer who is new to the business, but excellent and focused on Miguel's wines to launch this new company here in the USA. I've flown down and spent time teaching the intricacies of importing and we even collaborated on the pricing that the wines and Ports will be sold at retail afterwards (in the USA). So while still solid and those of us who are truly seriously into this fantastic producer's wines/Ports ... the 1 week :ftlop2014: offering will certainly be the overall best opPORTunity ever since this program began six years ago.

If this doesn't convince you to subscribe ... then nothing will. These offers over the years are always interesting, but none have been able to reach 23 countries before and none have included prices this advantageous to say thank you to all of you that have supported my efforts and those of the entire FTLOP staff that ensure the Forum, newsletter, Tasting Note Data Base and FB page offer FTLOP's collective Port wisdom!

While I regret that I was NOT able to make this happen in Canada; I was able to ensure that these wines and Ports will get to Alberta and BC provinces in the not-too-distant future. Yes, I hooked up an importer/agent there too and for the first time ever, beyond bottles I've brought up to Canada with me ... they will now have Rio Bom and S. Leonardo in two of the 3 Canadian Port-loving provinces.

There will be no hints with any further specifics of bottlings or pricing, so please be patient as this offer will reach you before the end of this month in issue #85 which is packed with great content!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: March Madness: The next Port Buying Op - details.

Post by Eric Menchen »

My new year's resolution was to only buy replacement bottles of wine. Thus far this year I've opened four more bottles than I've purchased. I guess I have about two weeks to drink 8+ bottles so I can get at least one case.
:winebath:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Drink faster! :-)
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Real fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Best news I've heard all year! I have wanted to try their Tawny Ports for a long time. Thank, Roy!!! :NotWorthy: :thumbsup: [yahoo.gif] :thanks:
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Steve Pollack wrote:Best news I've heard all year! I have wanted to try their Tawny Ports for a long time. Thank, Roy!!! :NotWorthy: :thumbsup: [yahoo.gif] :thanks:
They ROCK!!!!!!!!!!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Great news Roy!
Just a quick question/comment. You said you're working with a new importer. Can you get them to at least think about getting in Bulas, Viera e Sousa, and maybe Borges from Madeira? :wink:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

One step at a time. This has taken a huge chunk of my time to get them up to speed (all for the love of Port) and now I am doing the same up in Canada too and will head back up there again in a few weeks once this newsletter is completed. There are LOTS of worthy Portuguese companies that need a US Importer, and not all of them are in the Douro. Maybe I should quit writing newsletters and be an importer full time!?!?! [foilhat.gif]

Just kidding. [rotfl.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:One step at a time. This has taken a huge chunk of my time to get them up to speed (all for the love of Port) and now I am doing the same up in Canada too and will head back up there again in a few weeks once this newsletter is completed. There are LOTS of worthy Portuguese companies that need a US Importer, and not all of them are in the Douro. Maybe I should quit writing newsletters and be an importer full time!?!?! [foilhat.gif]

Just kidding. [rotfl.gif]
Only allowed if you keep swinging us the great buying ops ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Trust me, the newsletter would be easier on your wallet. [rotfl.gif]
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Can You please stop talking about US-importers and new markets in Canada.

Let the Vinho do Porto stay in Europe. I am afraid that "You Very thirsty Guys" will drink up All the good Juice from Douro, and leave us with some crummy Budweiser. [help.gif]

Roy, jokes aside: great that You have managed to make it possible for us in Europe to get an offer aswell. I am ready!
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Can You please stop talking about US-importers and new markets in Canada.

Let the Vinho do Porto stay in Europe. I am afraid that "You Very thirsty Guys" will drink up All the good Juice from Douro, and leave us with some crummy Budweiser. [help.gif]

Roy, jokes aside: great that You have managed to make it possible for us in Europe to get an offer aswell. I am ready!
Bud, the king of beers. You should be honored to drink it [rotfl.gif]
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Can You please stop talking about US-importers and new markets in Canada.
Let the Vinho do Porto stay in Europe. I am afraid that "You Very thirsty Guys" will drink up All the good Juice from Douro, and leave us with some crummy Budweiser.
If we drink all the good Douro juice, I'll work on getting you something better than Budweiser. How is the craft beer scene in Denmark?
R Bull

Post by R Bull »

Great news. All the more reason to drink up some of my existing ports. [yahoo.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Trust me Allan, I always feel bad for our Canadian and European, Asian and Australian subscribers. :scholar: So this whole deal was contingent on making Europe work and that is why I've been so involved in getting a US importer on board in return for making that happen.

In fact, I am doing my best to push the new Canadian importer to jump on board this deal for the 2 provinces. We shall see.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Roy Hersh wrote:Maybe I should quit writing newsletters and be an importer full time!?!?! [foilhat.gif]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................................. [notworthy.gif]
Allan Engelsted Laurents

Post by Allan Engelsted Laurents »

Eric Menchen wrote: If we drink all the good Douro juice, I'll work on getting you something better than Budweiser. How is the craft beer scene in Denmark?

Pretty Big! Denmark has 120 Breweries, and compairing to our small Country, it is quite a few.
By the Way, the Budweiser was origanally a beer from the Czech Republic - before somebody stole the recipe :beat:
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Eric Menchen wrote: If we drink all the good Douro juice, I'll work on getting you something better than Budweiser. How is the craft beer scene in Denmark?

Pretty Big! Denmark has 120 Breweries, and compairing to our small Country, it is quite a few.
By the Way, the Budweiser was origanally a beer from the Czech Republic - before somebody stole the recipe :beat:
Don't think they lost out on much there, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:Pretty Big! Denmark has 120 Breweries, and compairing to our small Country, it is quite a few.
Not bad, but you have room for more! That works out to about one brewery for every 47,000 people. Colorado has about one for every 25,000, based on 2013 statistics. But I don't think the pace of new brewery openings has slowed much, so I would expect that to be closer to 20,000 now. (56 new breweries opened in the state in 2013.)
Allan Engelsted Laurents wrote:By the Way, the Budweiser was origanally a beer from the Czech Republic - before somebody stole the recipe :beat:
I am quite familiar with the story, as it came to the forefront again in the last ten or so years ago when AB wanted to renege on their original deal with the Budweiser Budvar Brewery of České Budějovice with respect to naming rights, in which long ago they agreed to which parts of the world each would sell "Budweiser." And as a result, I don't think you will find any Czech hops in AB Budweiser any more. While I really like Czech hops (love Saaz), I don't think AB Bud really got any worse as a result, as you would have been hard pressed to find any hops in it before then.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am very happy to say that Canada may get lucky. It is still a bit of a stretch, but hey ... I'm trying. Not easy from Atlanta where I'll be the next four days.

I am so happy to report that there have been two new subscribers who jumped on board this week, in order to take part in this buyer's op.

FTLOP, truly the correct name for this whole brand! :drunk: