Lurkers on this Forum

This forum is for discussing all things Port (as in from PORTugal) - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Lurkers on this Forum

Post by Roy Hersh »

At times when I come to post and stay on the Forum reading there are 15-20something people on this Forum. Often after my post I'll refresh to see how many are still on here. I notice how many posts too and will check back a few hours later and still, lots of traffic ... but few if any translate to actual posts.

So I wonder if people are coming back to see their own or favorite recent posts to see if others have responded, or they are first time or frequent lurkers.

I guess if there was to be a question: Why do people not want to participate? Are they uninterested, intimidated by regulars, scared of sounding like a beginner, or just looking to learn but not wanting to share?

I am just curious as to why such a high rate of visitors comes here per day/week/month and why participation leads to so few actual posts? [shrug.gif]

Any insights, especially from people that were long time lurkers b4 venturing a post here?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Alan McDonald

Re: Lurkers on this Forum

Post by Alan McDonald »

Intimidation.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Alan McDonald wrote:Intimidation.
That I agree with...yet the people who run this forum and the participants set a tone that is welcoming & encouraging. Newbies are not abused or talked down to....we're just thrilled to find another port friend. So lurkers and Clint Eastwood types, please join the conversation.
Any Port in a storm!
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I have been on here for a couple of years and I post occasionally. I really don't feel that I have that much interesting to add to the conversation or I would post more. A little of it may be intimidation because I don't own any rare or really expensive ports or Madeira. After all how many times can you post about Grahams Six Grapes.

I like port and came here to learn more about and I have but flying from GA to CA for a port tasting I might as well be going to the moon. I think FTLOP is a great forum to learn about port from the pros but it is hard to jump into conversation when a lot of what is being written about in tasting notes and port tastings are about ports most of us will never experience.

It is like going to Ferrari forum and reading about other peoples Ferraris but what can you add to the conversation when you drive a Chevrolet.

John you are correct, I have never been abused or talked down to, it is more a feeling of not thinking you have anything really important to say.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Michael T wrote:I have been on here for a couple of years and I post occasionally. I really don't feel that I have that much interesting to add to the conversation or I would post more. A little of it may be intimidation because I don't own any rare or really expensive ports or Madeira. After all how many times can you post about Grahams Six Grapes.

A lot. I like reading about how others feel about these. So post away, even brief notes or impressions.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hello Roy:

I know that you take it personal if people don't post... but it has nothing to do with you. It's me - it's not you. Mea maxima culpa.

Why don't I post more?
- my mom told me if you can't add value to a discussion, then shut up.
- my computer hates me. Even if I say "remember password" or "keep me logged in", it often makes me log-in again and deletes all traces of my passwords. Of course I'm badly organised and sometimes don't remember my password.
- I often have a glass or two of Port while I visit the forum - and if it is too much port then the finding of the password gets even more complicated... and then the letters on the keyboard start to look all the same... and then I need to go to the cellar to look for another bottle... and I come back and the keyboard is hiding behind the screen... and I go for the corkscrew and I come back and the computer-mouse is gone... It's all so complicated.
- I have outsourced my posting to Eric and Andy. Sometimes I want to write something and then I realized that one of them just wrote what I wanted to say.
- If I can't make it sound funny, I don't like to post it. Whereby the definition of "funny" is - of course - in the eye of the beholder. By the way, I made a mental note about never to post something about Port and Peanut-Butter Sandwiches, as I remember what happened to my good buddy Luc.
- However: One of my New-Year's-Resolutions is to double my number of posts from currently 125 to 250 within the next 12 months!!!! Hope that makes my name appear on your "nice"-list for next Christmas, Roy... [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

LOL... great list, Christian!
Glenn Elliott
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

i try to add to the discussion where i can, but that doesn't happen too often.
although this summer at Bomfim i was told i should be a guide as i could answer lots of questions. (it was a big group for the guide there and i speak dutch, english and french) part of that is thanks to what i learn here. thanks! [cheers.gif]
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bert VD wrote:i try to add to the discussion where i can, but that doesn't happen too often.
although this summer at Bomfim i was told i should be a guide as i could answer lots of questions. (it was a big group for the guide there and i speak dutch, english and french) part of that is thanks to what i learn here. thanks! [cheers.gif]
:thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Bert,

What did you think of the new visitor's center at Bomfim?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
B Leader

Post by B Leader »

Hi,

I'm am one such lurker and I've been lurking for a few weeks. I don't really have anything to add to conversations currently as I'm a complete novice. I've been getting into port for only a month or so and am trying to learn as much as I can (and taste as many as I can!!). At the moment I'm just trying to find out what I like and using some of your experiences to direct my next purchases. So far I have tried:

Cockburn Ruby
Taylor reserve
Dow reserve
Kopke 2011 LBV
Taylor 30yr old tawny

And waiting to be tasted I have:
Graham's 2009 LBV
Taylor 2010 LBV
Fonseca Bin 27
Warre's 20yr old tawny
Niepoort 1977 vintage (will drink on my 40th birthday)
Taylor 2011 vintage to keep

I have no idea how to go about how to properly taste and score port so at present it's "like", " like a lot" and "not so keen"

B
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

B Leader wrote:Hi,

I'm am one such lurker and I've been lurking for a few weeks. I don't really have anything to add to conversations currently as I'm a complete novice. I've been getting into port for only a month or so and am trying to learn as much as I can (and taste as many as I can!!). At the moment I'm just trying to find out what I like and using some of your experiences to direct my next purchases. So far I have tried:

Cockburn Ruby
Taylor reserve
Dow reserve
Kopke 2011 LBV
Taylor 30yr old tawny

And waiting to be tasted I have:
Graham's 2009 LBV
Taylor 2010 LBV
Fonseca Bin 27
Warre's 20yr old tawny
Niepoort 1977 vintage (will drink on my 40th birthday)
Taylor 2011 vintage to keep

I have no idea how to go about how to properly taste and score port so at present it's "like", " like a lot" and "not so keen"

B
[welcome.gif] So of the ones you've tried, which are a Like, like a lot, and not so keen?
B Leader

Post by B Leader »

Thank you Andy :)

I really like the Taylor's 30yr old tawny, that's my favourite so far. I like the Dow reserve a lot although the finish (using the lingo) seems short, like the Cockburn, the Taylor reserve is ok and I'm not so sure about the Kopke 2011 LBV. I still have some of that in my fridge so I'll reserve judgement until finished. I think I probably like the sweeter ones a bit better.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

The Kopke should mellow out a bit with time, at which point you may like it better. It's in the middle, sweetness-wise, so that sweetness should stand out better with a few days of air.

No need to keep it in the fridge unless you just like your Port cold. An LBV should be fine for a month on the counter. I have one that old sitting on my counter right now, but I'm drinking some month-old S. Leonardo 30-yr old. :)
Glenn Elliott
B Leader

Post by B Leader »

Oh thanks Glenn, that's really good to know. I'll give it a go again in the new year :)
Bert VD

Post by Bert VD »

Roy Hersh wrote:Hi Bert,

What did you think of the new visitor's center at Bomfim?
it's very beautiful (as a modern building) and i expect tastings there to be quite nice up in the bar. but the tour was a bit short and basic for me. there is a guide and you can ask questions but the size of the groups dictates the time available. i did have very nice conversations after the tour. on the same day i went to Panascal where you can take as much time as you wantnand with the audio guide you get a lot more information. but you can't ask questions.
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

Okay you got me.
I'll try my best. I read you since 2 or 3 years. I like to read all (especially the "dead" guest corner). The main reason why i dont write here it's because of my English (i speak french). I'm not too bad to read english (slowly) but to write in English i'm sure ill have a lot of difficulties. Anyway if i have something to tell i'll do it.
And i'm not intimadating... your all very passionate people. [cheers.gif]
I'm going to introduce myself in the right section...
LOUISSS J

Post by LOUISSS J »

I did not find a section to introduce myself so i'll do it quick here.
I like port since 5 or 6 years. My cousin bring me a Taylor Fladgate 10 years tawny and since this time i started to love port. But i really start to love port since 2 years. Probably because of the 2011 vintage. The story of port, the country and the people, the way to make port... all this make me really love port. So since 2 years i buy almost all port and no more wine. The price for the wine is really too high and i have to hang up a lot of bottles but for port its almost all accessible.

I like tawny and vintage. Both have their pleasure. Almost all my ports are vintage. Just one Colheita (Single Harvest 8--) ) and just one LBV.
My favorite is Taylor Fladgate. But i really like Fonseca, Dow and Warre. Maybe Niepoort too but i just drunk once (vintage).

I drank a lot of 2011 to taste them oung and have an idea (i have 2 or 3 bottles of each).
I'll open soon a Fonseca 1970 and a Dow 1977 magnum (i'm scared... i'll see). I'll open in about 2 weeks Taylor F. Single Harvest 1964. I have 3 Taylor F. Vergellas Vinha Velha 2011 (i drank one last year... awesome). I have some "big bottles" that will wait too. I tell you this so if you have comments on these bottles ill be happy to read you. I start to buy LBV to open them in 5 or 10 years too.
But I don't drink too often port (about one each 2 weeks). And often it's LBV (i like them too!).

I'll stop here and continue to read you all. :salute:
John M.

Post by John M. »

LOUISSS J wrote:I did not find a section to introduce myself so i'll do it quick here.
I like port since 5 or 6 years. My cousin bring me a Taylor Fladgate 10 years tawny and since this time i started to love port. But i really start to love port since 2 years. Probably because of the 2011 vintage. The story of port, the country and the people, the way to make port... all this make me really love port. So since 2 years i buy almost all port and no more wine. The price for the wine is really too high and i have to hang up a lot of bottles but for port its almost all accessible.

I like tawny and vintage. Both have their pleasure. Almost all my ports are vintage. Just one Colheita (Single Harvest 8--) ) and just one LBV.
My favorite is Taylor Fladgate. But i really like Fonseca, Dow and Warre. Maybe Niepoort too but i just drunk once (vintage).

I drank a lot of 2011 to taste them oung and have an idea (i have 2 or 3 bottles of each).
I'll open soon a Fonseca 1970 and a Dow 1977 magnum (i'm scared... i'll see). I'll open in about 2 weeks Taylor F. Single Harvest 1964. I have 3 Taylor F. Vergellas Vinha Velha 2011 (i drank one last year... awesome). I have some "big bottles" that will wait too. I tell you this so if you have comments on these bottles ill be happy to read you. I start to buy LBV to open them in 5 or 10 years too.
But I don't drink too often port (about one each 2 weeks). And often it's LBV (i like them too!).

Hi Louisss;

That's a wonderful introduction and your English is good. Glad you joined us and thanks for posting. [welcome.gif]

Please post your Tasting Notes (TN), esp the 1970 Fonseca & 1977 Dows...would like to hear your opinion.
Any Port in a storm!
Gary Richardson
Location: Clarksville, Maryland, United States of America - USA

Post by Gary Richardson »

LOUISSS J wrote:I'll open soon a Fonseca 1970 and a Dow 1977 magnum (i'm scared... i'll see). I'll open in about 2 weeks Taylor F. Single Harvest 1964. I have 3 Taylor F. Vergellas Vinha Velha 2011 (i drank one last year... awesome). I have some "big bottles" that will wait too. I tell you this so if you have comments on these bottles ill be happy to read you. I start to buy LBV to open them in 5 or 10 years too.

I just bought a 1977 Dow's magnum last week. I can't wait to read your impressions of that bottle.

Welcome!
-- Gary